Expedition 4 Emergence 5 weeks

It is sad because sometimes there are players genuinely looking for help in completing a mission. They oooh and aaaah as I blast monstrosities in packs of 5 or 6 with one grenade. :grin:

3 Likes

Thereā€™s a really sneaky one I noticed a while back. Again, Iā€™ve no idea how it works.

You go to a new planet, and you find a base, built by someone else. In the base are all 10 storage containers.

If you look in the containers, you find, to your surprise, that they are your storage containers.

The next time you visit your own base, you find that your own storage containers have been stripped empty. Somehow, when you looked in the containers in the strange base, some sort of joint ownership was created, allowing the base owner to loot all your storage. Nasty.

4 Likes

Ok now that one would make me madā€¦

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a new one on me. Iā€™d guess it must be mp related as I wouldnā€™t think your inventory would be present in a base upload. Could be wrong though.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think it is in the base upload. I think it gets transferred to the strange base when you open the containers. Just like it would if you built a new base.

The difference here is that the original builder also has access to the inventory.

2 Likes

Maybe they are exploiting the base container that allows you to retrieve items from a former base,which, come to think of it, why do we still have that?

3 Likes

No idea, last time I checked mines was full of metal sheets and circuit boards, literal thousands of them.

1 Like

Maybe from dismantled base partsā€¦
This has been an interesting chat but I have to go for a bit. BBL

2 Likes

Iā€™m assuming you already reported this to Hello Games.

3 Likes

Uhmā€¦ Thereā€™s filters. Set it to space stations, and you still have them all.

1 Like

Is there? Is that a PC thing or can consoles do that too?

1 Like

There is, but all of the bases appear to take priority and overwrites your discoveries regardless if you use the filter or not.

3 Likes

You have ā€œallā€, you have ā€œbasesā€ and you have ā€œspace stationsā€, and I think thereā€™s a fourth, though Iā€™m not sure what it does. I barely use the bloody thing. I think the fourth might be for owned bases, but as I said, really not sure.
In any case, f you set to ā€œspace stationsā€, youā€™ll only have space stations on the list, no bases. As far as I can tell theyā€™re the ones I visited, at least the last visited is always first in the list, and those rare times when I actually use it I never needed anything else, so I didnā€™t check too in-depthā€¦

Since the UI has a strong ā€œconsole-firstā€ feel to it, I see no sane reason why it wouldnā€™t be there on consolesā€¦

1 Like

@jedidia means here at the teleporter (mine is mounted on the wall so my camera is under the floor, lol)

However, the list seems to be cleared up now that the exp is over. Did a patch fix it? I believe what @Polyphemus was referring to has been cleaned up. I remember when I needed to go back to the worm-infested planet, this list contained tons of player bases. It was a hot mess.
EDIT: Oh I see, Discovery servers are down for me again today so player bases are not showing

3 Likes

You mean it contained them even if you filtered for space stations or your own bases? That would indeed be an issueā€¦

1 Like

No. It was under All. But I remember when I teleported the first time, it was crazy how long the list was. When I filtered to Space Stations, I found I had only 3ā€¦ :sweat_smile:. That left me with a little work to do. I had to work from planet descriptions in the Discovery menu to find an appropriate planet and then guess which of the 3 Space Stations would put me in the general area.
No, I think the teleporter menu worked correctly but, under All, it was a big mess
The question was why I had only 3 stations. I know I upgraded my backpack quite a few times at stations but they were not in the Space Station list.

2 Likes

I think the issue is: that the teleporter listing can hold X number of total listings & what happens is, all the continually refreshing newer player bases belonging to all the randoms we encounter, (particularly during an expedition), causes the the teleporter list to continuously update to the extent it ā€˜forgetsā€™ the space stations we go through.

4 Likes

If no mistake, stations are in the list only if you use their teleporter.

3 Likes

No, I donā€™t. I had more than forty space stations recorded. Now I have 5. If I set the filter to space stations, I just see those 5. Thatā€™s all thatā€™s left - the others have been deleted to make way for hundreds of base addresses.

This is a bit uncertain. I have often had space station addresses appear in my list when I havenā€™t used them, but itā€™s generally necessary to visit the space station. However, the space station addresses donā€™t always register this way. If you want to be certain the address has been recorded in the listing, you have to use the teleport at the space station.

To the best of my knowledge, @Mad-Hatter is correct. The teleport address list can only hold a certain number of addresses. Once it is full, the game makes space for new addresses by deleting the old ones.

The filter does not affect which addresses the list records. It only affects which addresses you can see. Setting the filter to ā€œspace stationsā€ does not stop the space station addresses being overwritten by random bases.

4 Likes

Make of this what you will.

As far as I can tell I havenā€™t lost any stations. Iā€™m on Steam, PC and always (except for once, long ago) play as a solitaire.

I thought that Online Discovery Services being up or down might make a difference. It was down yesterday and is up today. I donā€™t see a difference.

Perhaps itā€™s because I donā€™t upload my bases - except those that I create for quicksilver missions and those are deleted when Iā€™m done.

Discoveries shows that Iā€™ve visited 92 systems. Discoveries is wrong. These are the systems that had stations that I visited. Some of these stations I never teleported to or from - just grabbed another slot for the Exosuit and needed resources. I probably went to one or two Uninhabited Systems as well.

The Teleporter in the current Space Stations shows one less since Space Stations donā€™t show there their own teleporter. The Anomaly Teleporter shows all of them.

I havenā€™t created any bases during the Expedition. Itā€™s interesting that the Space Station teleporter shows 250 Other Bases while the Anomaly doesnā€™t have this category. (Iā€™m still waiting for Space Anomaly category to have content.) You could use Discoveries to cross-check the number of bases.

4 Likes