Citizen Scientists Division - Needs Collaborative User-designed Logo!

Looks awesome…the only thing I think could be better are the glyphs…either all 16 glyphs could be there of if the portal address of the hub center would be better imo…but with a universe reset there’s a chance that the hub may have to move.

3 Likes

Agree and the glyphs were exactly what I had been struggling with most. Was messing with size, colour, and positioning, to end up placing them as they are. They fill up the empty space, but they distract from the stars, being the same colour. Eye focus turns out too high now, should be lower. However, then the empty space doesn’t feel right. I just couldn’t really get it right.

I plan on getting rid of them most likely. Then alter the two black stars surrounding ETARC a bit, to level it all a bit more. Lastly, I am thinking of a vague landscape line, splitting the grey center in two-tone. A few more ideas to mess with as well … tomorrow … lol

2 Likes

Couldn’t resist making some changes instead of getting some sleep …

13 Likes

Loving the evolution of the logo so far.

I’m agreed with people on the glyphs, I don’t think they’re needed and it makes the whole thing very busy.

I still think maybe the stars as they currently exist are a bit loud, and maybe the portal is too detailed in the smaller areas e.g the steps, that it creates a bit more visual noise when resized to fit logo frame.

I love the layout and design, sorry I have no current capabilities to make my own edits but if I could I would maybe limit it to two or three tone colours scheme, maybe more in line with the ETARC logos colours and streamline the detail a little so it’ll print nicely on a tshirt :wink:

Edit: for some reason I thought the etarc logo had a hint of blue to it but I realise it was just the sites colour schemes at the time coming through the logos transparency.

Reposting logo from above for those who may not remember our dear old ETARC

3 Likes

@DevilinPixy
If using glyphs: this is the correct order:

but I’m thinking I like the no-glyph version better.
Stars may be slightly big near the top, otherwise it is very nice. Love the intricate detail and background too.

1 Like

I used the photoshop app to stitch together simple layout, my god is it an awful app. Can’t even invert colours or draw or clone stamp or a million other things that’d be useful.

Just used it to make a rudimentary layout, so ignore the fact it still has the writing from original ETARC logo etc, and if I could make it so, those stars in the middle of portal would be white but alas, no colour invert.

Managed to try fit the glyphs in too

Riffing off same ideas as have been posted over the last few months, I might try install illustrator on my pops ancient behemoth later and see if it’ll run, if it does I’ll have a shot at rasterising something

6 Likes

Just gonna throw my newbie-2cents behind this idea: 4 glyphs :+1:
Quoting for the sake of the visual inclusion; with thanks to @Mad-Hatter.

5 Likes

There’s no effective “bump” (for posts), in here, is there?
Well then, let me just “echo” (bump) this post:

… re “rebooting” this LOGO thread. :smiley: :+1: (Cheers, @Mad-Hatter!)

== Some of my own LOGO THOUGHTS ==

LOGO ELEMENTS

++ I’ve really liked the logo versions with the Portal (and Star-Chain),

++ … and agree that 4 glyphs (only) will be more “legible” in smaller versions than having a full 16 set.
(Plus, why “give away” the full address to all and sundry? Let people JOIN ETARC (ATLAS CSD) and “earn” it; or take the 4 and go hunting…) :stuck_out_tongue:

++ I’m not keen on retaining a “light bulb” in the new logo; the only “light bulb moments” we might have, as explorers, might be new / different ways to build bases to be more efficient / productive / protective, or perhaps in some more better harmony with its surroundings… Otherwise, we “learn” from Language Stones, Monoliths, ATLAS interfaces, alien races, and scanned Flora & Fauna.

++ I really do like the idea of finding a good way to include the Firefly star-chain.
Browncoats can get on board more easily, too. :wink:

++ Whether or not a “star-chain” is used (eg up the central gap in a Portal), I’d suggest it would be NICE to include a ship / space craft (shape) of some kind, upper centre, to allude to the fact that having one at all is of CRITICAL IMPORTANCE and moreso a NECESSITY for us as Explorers…! :open_mouth:

++ I kinda wish the small ATLAS “A” curly-logo could be incorporated, somehow… https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.etarc.org/forums/themes/atlas/logo-small.png
Perhaps “re-colour” it, if appropriate, using final-decided ETARC / CSD [ECSD] logo colours…??

… but, perhaps realistically, given the existing design suggestions, there may already be “too many elements” to be crowding in one more . . . ?
Unless it might be “implied” with an outline behind the Portal or some such??

On "ETARC" as "Explorer Tactical And Research Community" (etc)

Cute. :slight_smile: I note from personal experience that it’s most often Americans - for whatever reason - who like to create Acronyms!! :wink:
(Who created this acronym, this time? “Center” vs “Centre” is a possible clue…)

If ETARC is more a “peace-time” SCIENCE (and Exploration) community, even though “tactical” is not necessarily ‘military’ in meaning, the association is inescapable.
The word “tactical”, I find, is … inappropriate.

Technically speaking – and I’m sure many of you could acknowledge this – the word “and” is typically very rarely a formal part of any GOOD / proper acronym; more correctly, the above would only be “ETRC”…! :open_mouth:

Of course I understand it was “whatever we could come up with at short notice, which worked, and we just ran with it”, or whatever the consensus was, then. :sunglasses:
But I’d suggest it’s NOT a good idea to “go forward” with this acronym (ETARC), with the new logo etc.

I’m also a bit surprised that “Astronomy” wasn’t worked-in, for the “A”, somehow; it would fit Explorers to be “studying the (local) stars”, celestial objects, and regional space…

I’m not so smart, but what about something along the lines of
“Exploration, Translation, and Astronomical Research Centre”
Exploration - covers intergalactic, interstellar, interplanetary, and intercontinental;
Translation - covers Gek, Korvax, Vy’keen, ATLAS, etc etc etc
Astro’ / Research - well, duh. :wink:
Centre - British (/French) spelling (from Roman ‘centrum’), since Hello Games is a British company, making NMS a “Made in Britain” product, first:wink:
“Centre” (Center) - covers the fact it’s a HUB for Exploration and all the Learning gained as a result.

. . . . . but I would suggest moving forward with CSD, e.g. ECSD.

On "ETARC" vs "ECSD"

Since ETARC is (sort-of / mostly) “irrelevant” now that a “cover” (of amateur radio) is no longer needed, though it’s become common practise to still refer to the community / forum as “ETARC”, I think – especially with the birthing of a New LOGO AND the coming of the NEXT update – it may be seen as this group’s Growth & Maturity to “leave behind” any larger focus on “ETARC” and embrace / adopt “CSD” more, going forward.

Of course it’s Important to hark back to its origins, so I agree with [insert original poster @-link]'s suggestion to call it “ECSD” as in the “ETARC Citizen Science Division”, to differentiate it from other CSDs (such as Discord, Reddit, etc), as well as to honour its humbler beginnings. :slight_smile: :+1:

However, whilst its existing history hasn’t troubled me (as I took the time to read several threads the first couple days I was here – thanks for noticing, @sheralmyst!), trying to create a “new acronym” for “ETARC” is likely to only confuse newer joiners here to the ATLAS CSD who may not get around to reading about the Edison Township Amateur Radio Club … thingy … cover … which originated in this ARG.
Especially since the welcoming header graphic is this:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.etarc.org/forums/themes/atlas/logo.png

Retaining “ETARC” as a “significant name” (ie on logos, flags, sigs, whatever) seems – forgive the choice of word – a bit ‘immature’, as if to stubbornly hold on to a security blanket whilst change (to “Atlas CSD”) has already come (and gone).

Sure, let’s CONTINUE to refer to the community “colloquially” / informally as “ETARC”, but let’s help newcomers AVOID CONFUSION by asserting the “CSD” element in the design of the new logo.

I’d suggest “ECSD” is a very mature suggestion and a great compromise.

It’s also only 4 letters, in keeping with NEXT, update (1.)FOUR, the use of 4 glyphs as an “area code”, the 4 types & 4 classes of ship / weapon, etc…

Finally, may I suggest:
“EDISON CITIZEN SCIENCE DIVISION”, or
“EDISON’S CITIZEN SCIENCE DIVISION”

COLOURS - in general

I REALLY like some of the colour / contrast examples offered by @johnnycloud in Post #144 above.

As a result, I’d like to suggest, if possible, trying for a UNITED NATIONS light-blue / sky-blue background colour. I’m sure we can further translate a Circular Logo onto a Rectangular Flag in much the same way as the UN logo → flag fits / works. :smiley:

If “NO Man’s Sky” is as black (& cold) as space, how about our peacefully-explored & discovered (once safely landed) sky is _comfortably & familiarly (light) blue, with the implicit “warmth” of a local star brightening it…?

Every (Peaceful) Man’s Sky” can be Sky Blue, welcoming, and inclusive. :heart:

COLOURS - elements

@Clemm’s BLACK (“transparent”?!) PORTAL w/ WHITE outline / edge
BOLD YELLOW STARS (for ‘Firefly’, if including the Star Chain)?
WHITE GLYPHS would work on SkyBlue. (Or pale VDU green w/ white “glow”)

… and if we say the glyphs are:
Dragonfly (it’s alien, but ‘dragonfly’ will do, for ease)
Ship / Shuttle (the most generic / all-rounder type)
Canary-like (for the decidedly finch-shaped “bird” glyph)
Entryway / Exit (glyph has no curves; it’s 100% not ‘natural’; Station-related?)
… then what do we have? Basic reverse-order “cipher” DSCE ==> ECSD…! :stuck_out_tongue:

IF going with Border Text, definitely BLACK TEXT.
Again, suggest “ETARC” is NOT mentioned / included explicitly.
Instead, suggested compromise for using “ECSD” acronym:

“EDISON['S(?)] CITIZEN SCIENCE DIVISION”

FONT SIZE should optimally be CONSTANT across all 4(!) words.
“Edison” (or “Edison’s”) top & centre.
Preferably sized (width-stretched?) so CSD words fill nearly half the circumference.
Edison name would be a “progression” from “amateur radio” to “citizen science” :wink:

Also suggest using TWIN LINES a la @johnnycloud’s examples, but WHITE.
No “overall border” circle; implicit by Text & TwinLines; see also UN Flag. :sunglasses:

Getting the REAL NMS Font

If you want the “real” NMS FONT, you can kinda wrangle it outta the WT website; using the Google Chrome “Inspect Element” etc interface, I managed to “find” and save the NMS font package, then TRANSLATE it via free online site into TTF. :slight_smile:
(Wish I could just “share a file” via this forum…)

Hope that’s not “too much”…
The last time I posted, it was a few posts back-to-back, and the forum (AI) was practically scolding me for it. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

1 Like

ECSD%20Atlas%20with%20Glyphs%20blue%20smallECSD%20Atlas%20with%20Glyphs%20maroon%20smallECSD%20Atlas%20with%20Glyphs%20Grey%20smallECSD%20Atlas%2001%20smallECSD%20Atlas%20with%20Glyphs%20maroon%20smallECSD%20Atlas%2003%20smallECSD%20Atlas%20yellow%20smallECSD%20Atlas%2002%20small

8 Likes

@johnnycloud, they’re beautiful.

… but I really think we should … move away from using “ETARC” on formal logos etc.

I agree the LAST 4 GLYPHS are well worth including, as they are like a “fingerprint” and rather quite identify this Community … but I might like to feed back that the triple overlap . . . :confused: … well, I for only one don’t quite fancy it.

Excellent inclusion of the ATLAS A-logo, though.

Oh yeah… not a fan of the text font, otherwise… >_< Sorry!

1 Like

Reminds me of NASA patches. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

etsy shop, here we come… :wink:

1 Like

I found these REAL WORLD logos which are real scientific bodies! Spooky! :slight_smile:

Here’s their site: https://ecsa.citizen-science.net/

4 Likes

As you can see, anyone can be a Citizen Scientist. This is why I opt to keep the ETARC part of the name because it sets us apart from others CS groups. It does not have to say ETARC it could just be ECSD.

4 Likes

I’d like to Second the Proposition to use “ECSD” instead of “ETARC”.

Further suggest “ECSD” stand for “Edison” or “Edison’s” CSD. :wink:

[Edit]

<-(Click!) :: Extra bit for Newcomers (newer than moi!)

The Atlas CSD was “originally” known as ETARC - Edison Township Amateur Radio Club / Community… it was a “cover” for what would become the Atlas CSD, and the early members / adopters have (naturally) become used to (& fond of?) calling this forum “ETARC”, despite the rename.

In order to “retain” a flavour of the original naming, as well as grab an opportunity to “differentiate” ourselves (this forum’s community) from other websites’ CSD groups, the “E” from “ETARC” is a great prefix (imho) ===>> “ECSD”

We can either use it as it was, just “Edison”,
or make the 4 words sound more sensible together by adding a possessive apostrophetic S, a la “Edison’s”.

This last, I put to the “ETARC” / Atlas CSD Community at large.
[/edit]

It will forever be ETARC, to me anyways :smiley:

4 Likes

Not to me…I was here for the whole ETARC bit but it just seems bizarre…it wasn’t around for that long or even an intergral part of the ARG for that matter…it was mainly just used to release a couple of videos by Emily back when we didn’t know she was loop 16. I don’t really feel attachment to a fictional, awkwardly named, radio station. Waking Titan and the CSD yeah…those carry a lot more meaning.

I am with you ETARC in the name is history. ECSD is a fine compromise, but I don’t want to lose the ETARC. I really don’t see it as Edison township amateur radio club or just forum, it is a bizarre made up word/place for chill friends and chill home in the NMS universe.

@Argent-Star Thank you for instigating, keep up the good work. I’ll watch for polls, love the energy.

@johnnycloud looks great. :+1:

6 Likes

It’s not the radio station (although that was the origin). It’s the forum.

For the whole of the period up to the release of 1.3, this was the ETARC forum. It’s what we all came to know it as.

I find it difficult to think of it as anything else. I suspect there are others who feel the same way.

7 Likes

My shortcut on my desktop still says ETARC Community.

7 Likes