Anniversary Update Speculation(with spoilers)

Well We expected something to come soon…name sounds awesome.

2 Likes

Very punny. I like that!!

1 Like

Time to disect the photo.

Notice the atlas is differnt this time? Instead of a glowing red circle in the middle, this time its a planet. And its in the middle ground rather than the back ground.(probably not significant but the planet is the same one used in the Next and Beyond photo)

Also, notice that on the surface of the planet on the bottom of the photo, the atlas shape cuts into the photo and the ground shows three different biomes. Perhaps implying variety? :thinking:

The character on the right is wearing a cape!(something I always wanted in the game)

Edit: the caped character is wearing only ONE shoulder pad/armor!

6 Likes

Possibly three new biomes, new helmets, and a scarf.

4 Likes

Someone already pointed it out, the Icons are the names of the updates! Obvious, because this update is called NMS Oranges!

NMS Origins

:innocent:

3 Likes

I figured that out too of course, but the fact that he’s basically dissing Trump with that is killing me! :rofl:

2 Likes

Okay. I am very grateful for this update. The variety is beautiful and the added assets, colors, aethetics, creatires, buildings and UI feels like a breath of fresh air after being in the same room breathing the same stale warm air. Lol. Im loving it.

But… speculation time :laughing: :

The leaker was right about everything but there are still a few things that havent happened yet.

First, the flame thrower doesnt seem to be in this update, atleast not officially. (Im not sure if it can still be found in-game though). The part the leaker mentioned about a new enemy race would come hasnt happened yet either. The weekend missions even suggest there is an enemy out there. and then theres the abyss too that we currently dont know what it is fully. Also, I believe there was supposed to be more story content by Greg Buchanan.

(Orbital mechanics hasn’t happened but that may have been cut or maybe it’ll be a future update)

Hmmm… perhaps we need to wait for the weekend missions to start back up. Or perhaps Covid forced them to push out a few things? Can’t wait to see what the dataminers dig up and for weekend missions to start back up!

3 Likes

i have the flamethrower… :blush:

6 Likes

Oh! Are the flames that it shoots still weird looking?

1 Like

More like fireballs.

2 Likes

Ah. Its still weird then. Lol.

1 Like

Well, here is a pic for comparison. The strangest thing is the terrain icon instead of a crosshair of some kind…It is more like a flame than it was but still comes in rounds rather than a continuous burning flame.

4 Likes

I have the flamethrower as well on one of my back-up weapons. For combat, other weapons are quicker, but it does well for mining spreads of crystal.

I was hoping we would see modules and techs for it with this update, but perhaps that is something still yo come.

3 Likes

I haven’t had time to do much, plus MBIN needs updated to extract the new table files. The existing branch of Missions looks to end at 45, not sure if they added a replacement or not. Or if the Lore from the libraries is replacing it etc. Haven’t had time to look close.

But here are the new Language Files XML format. For anyone interested. Some interesting stuff. Haven’t read them fully / or compared them to old versions.

3 Likes
6 Likes

Oh dear, that’s not good news. Not so much about the delay, but that they’ve seemingly increased the performance requirements of the game.

I’ll be sure to make a backup so at least I can go back to that.

2 Likes

:smile: this is what happens when there is nothing else to do

This however, does seem more credible. It also ties up some loose ends like having a larger purpose for the Living Ship…( If this is correct, so glad my ship, Celstial Dawn is well upgraded)

5 Likes

I was positive that Living Ships were part of something larger. And I often wondered about other universes or dimensions

This could really inject life into the game. While I’m happy as is, some folks feel as though it has gotten stale.

I know … go figure … Each update had added new stuff, but some are never happy unless the update contains everything on their personal wish list.

3 Likes

I think what most people are unhappy about isn’t the content of the update itself but rather that the content is usually small and adds minimal to the experience of the game. Take bytebeat and exomech for example. Both cool features in concept but, in practice, both actually added very little to the game that most people don’t use them.

But nearly everyone loved Foundations, Expeditions, Living Ship and Desolation. Specially Desolation, it added a whole new way to play for extended amounts of time, a whole new place to go with a whole new aesthetic and new rewards to get as well as reasons to go back and do it again.

I imagine that with Expeditions, they intended to give us more of that “whole new way to play” feeling but it was too soon. This long delay for the 3rd expedition seems to allude to that.

Buuuuuut if they still intend to do an expedition 3 BEFORE the anniversary update then it might be quite some time before it comes. I guess they can do a surprise short expedition that lasts a week or two. Or they can do expedition 3 after the update. But I would imagine that they would be overwhelmed by having to fix all the bugs of an anniversary update AND an expedition. Hmmm…

4 Likes

I’m not sure what the overall NMS player is like lately. Twitter sampling is so random, and runs the full spectrum of violent hatred to godlike adoration.

I still love the universe, but I love my story more. I’m constantly reminded that I can’t visit Primarch Andonai to see how well he’s doing and if Blade Afenzhis was behaving himself. Drop in on Troq to pick his brains, have a video chat with Priest-entity Asrial, thumbwrestle with K’tarsgh, spend some time with Seri… even have a chat with Artemis at the Anomaly and see how he was dealing with his virtual life. All of that is an unfortunate dream for me.

I hope that my story might possibly be inspiring, particularly as I delve into the head scratching enigmas and paradoxes in this universe we’re exploring, and inspire the team to see if they can make something of these apparent contradictions. Have fun with them as I have. When I finally pull aside that Yellow Curtain on my own version of this universe, I’ll be curious to see how people react to it, what they think of it. And if Team Mercury instills some similar flesh and blood in this wild and wonderful realm, what we’ll all think of that.

My final thought on all this is, Team Mercury should take their time to do it right. I’d rather have it all at once, but if we can get a Big Present in August or September, and then sprinklings of more goodies through the following months or year, that would be sweet too. Just make sure it’s done well and we should all be happy. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes