What is next for No Man's Sky? (Not Meant to be Negative)

I think the introduction of a simulation within a simulation during the game opens up several possibilities for future multiplayer options and DLC.

Perhaps we could use a similar device as the one used for the Artemis storyline in our bases to access these extra options which would then give the player that update without having to regenerate the universe. There could be a more interactive multiplayer in a smaller star cluster or scenario missions (like NMS historical events or emulation of other scifi stories) that would require the area of play to be different from the current universe build.

For simpler wants with the next step, I would like to own more than 1 multitool, ship and multitool customization and I join the chorus with wanting more varieties in all things.

Although, I think it would go a long way to have landmarks in space or to help give more depth/ texture to what we can find. (Such as gas giants, large asteroid belts, derelict stations or freighters, space whales, ion storms, heavy nebula, ect.)

2 Likes

I think we’ve already been given a big clue to the immediate direction the game is heading in. When 1.3 was released, HG said that “orb” joint exploration was just a start, and they wanted to refine and expand the multiplayer capabilities.

With that in mind, have a look at this:

The full dialogue from that sequence reads:

I don’t know how much more of a hint they could give us.

11 Likes

Came here to say same thign as polyphemus and cite similar sources.

HG are fully commited to this game for the next while it seems. And the lore within the game has always hinted as to what comes next, Sean Murray himself referred to helping the game reach a “No Mans Sky: Online” platform via regular updates in his letter to the community the week before the game launched.

Hello Games are a long way off from moving on to another Project, I’d say we have another year or two of dedicated updates before the team gets compartmentalized, and I imagine the goal is to build the studios numbers up first before splitting people to focus on supporting NMS and a new game, I couldnt imagine them splitting duties at their current size. Sean did mention only the first few updates would be free and then theyd have to look into monetized content updates (think stuff packs for your bases, that kinda thing) while still updating the game world for free with core gameplay mechanics, someone once likened it to how Warframe handles things which is a fantastic model to emulate!

And a lot of the dialogue you recieve from Travellers post 1.3 seems to hint that fully asynchronous multiplayer is closer than it’s ever been before, the glitches in 1.3 being what I imagine an early server stress test to see how they can handle live player data en masse, we’ve still yet to come face to face with this cosmic horror thats been hinted at since the early days with abandoned buildings and then of course it was elaborated on further in 1.2 with the mechanics quest line and given even more substance in 1.3 (I really thought we were going to meet this lovecraftian horror in 1.3 with the way the ARG was going)

Okay I know I said I just came here to say same thing as Polyphemus which was to just point out the “we are def getting 100% realtime MP in one of the next updates” but I ended up saying more than intended, heh.

5 Likes

Yeah the Whole missing Center thing is one of the biggest inconsistencies in NMS. I mean in the 1.0 Game you could actually get to the Center but no further than the first Galaxy. Then they made it so you could go to the next Galaxy and the center became a Last Stop Meeting Area for the Systems around it.

I would like to see in 1.4 an actual Center of the Galaxy Area Created. Something more than a way to get to the next Galaxy. Maybe actually meeting the Real Loop 16 Entity or something like that.

Add New Systems to the Galaxies and stop changing the Map. Make the New Systems more Rare and Interesting and worth Exploring and Discovering.

Just My Two Cents :slight_smile:

I think it’s pretty far from it. It’s a good bet that they’re going to push for a more complete multiplayer experience, which I’m not very interested in (just as well, as I have the GOG version), but here’s the thing:

If you watch the dev-talk about procedural animation (can’t find the darn thing anymore… not sure whether it was GDC or nucl.ai. It wasn’t by sean murray but by another HG guy), he talks about how hand crafted animations are very expensive, and they couldn’t afford to make many of them.
This is one of the main reason why all there currently is to see in multiplayer are glitches. You need character animations fora good multiplayer experience, tons of them.
I am fairly confident that they are currently spending major resources on that. The thing I personally find intruiging about that is that their models are general enough in skeletal structure and physical shape that most animations for the traveler models (which I still presume are an early glimpse at character customisation, they are wildly more varied than the three major species) are translatable to any NPC mesh they currently have in the game. It would be strange not to make the most of them.
There is a lot more to getting the NPCs to walk, run and gun than just the animations, of course. There’s AI, and navigation mesh creation, but the animations would be the most expensive parts in terms of time, and therefore money. Once they have those, it’s only a question of time until the NPCs learn to walk. And that’s something I’m definitely looking foreward to.

Add New Systems to the Galaxies and stop changing the Map

Alas, procedural generation… You can’t add new systems to the galaxy without changing everything in the galaxy.

1 Like

I expect more updates, but I also expect that HG will likely already have moved resources onto developing another title (possibly even a seque/spiritual succesor l of sorts).

Despite the updates, many gamers I know are still sore about NMS at launch and so HG has a lot of work still to do to earn back their trust. I think the updates so far have demonstrated a willingness to address the original game’s shortcomings at launch, but I have a feeling that there probably comes a point where there is perhaps a view to how the game’s tech could be utilised in a different manner.

1 Like

I honestly don’t think that HG has the staff to pull away from NMS, unless they aren’t planning on continuing to grow NMS. They can’t even pull people to give regular updates of the development thats taking place, in my opinion I doubt they can pull people to put on new projects. If NMS doesn’t reach the pinnacle of what the game could be it will be looked as a failure for HG, and for such a small studio they can’t afford that.
The game has so much room to grow, so many cool features they could introduce. How can they pull resources away when we don’t even have character avatars? thats something that will be needed if they’re planning on growing multiplayer.
Maybe it’s wishful thinking on my part, but I think the community would be highly upset if HG gave up on NMS already because most of us are still faithful……until SQ42 comes out lol.

1 Like

IMO would be good for NMS to retain the basic imagery supplied (orb/glitches) for multiplayer & for the missions & exploration activities to expand instead.
The old style mostly static NPC conversations & basic orbs actually make NMS unique & part of its character.
Developing these things more will waste resourses better spent on gaming development following the original concept of the game.
Keep it unique I say.

Perhaps a custom build menu (like bases) could allow you to build a personalised character for other players to see (if they scan you) but keep the orbs as they are, as they are enough to know where we each are.

For me, owning multiple bases, increasing the teleporter address memory/accessibility, being able to cosmetically alter the vehicles & more complex missions would be a nice direction for NMS to grow in.
With hubs becoming a popular side thing to the official gameplay it might be nice for a few particular space stations in certain locations to have the ability to be teleported between, essentially becoming Galactic Trainstations. This way a traveller could arrive and interact in that locale without needing to move via portal or warp drive.

Also alter the galactic map so that systems with an active base (on base sharing) show up as the CONTACT listing is pretty vague. This way a traveller warping through regions can stop in along the way.

Basically, encourage exploration, expand the experiences & options & not focus too much on multiplayer.

4 Likes

Have to disagree. We need more MP interactions,actual co-op, that way we can have a truly living breathing universe. We could have farmers,scavengers, bounty hunters,etc. And we could have user generated quests basically. That way we could have actual jobs if u wanted.

Or you could just Play the game offline and do it all yourself. Hopefully they expand on the mission board,and start adding in Ship Building and Selling. Basically I want NMS to become a giant game that encourages MP interactions,but not be punished for doing so. Imagine that mission board also applying to players. So there’s NMS’S quests and local Travelers quests, that kinda thing.

I would like a PVP to be introduced too. So that giving away coordinates to ur base could lead to interesting situations,ambushes,losing all ur stuff by raiders,etc. But it would be your fault because u put ur address out their. And your base location would suddenly become very important

And since NMS is so big,if u never want to be forced to fight,u shouldn’t have to. The universe is so big that if u never wanted to PVP someone,then u would know to build ur base/ empire away from all Hubs and hotspots.

Or do it anyways and risk confrontation. Maybe add a Wanted system so u can’t just go grieving players bases. But again, The scale of the playing field in NMS should discourage this from happening. Whereas in most PVP open world games u are forced to PVP due to game design and size of map. NMS could be both PVP and PVE on Same servers.

Or just add more actual threats on planets, and add in Synchronous Co-op, that’d be good enough : D

Character modest is a must though.

2 Likes

PVP - No Thanks…There are plenty of other games for you to do that in. That’s the problem with MP it always leads other players to want to ruin other players experiences. NMS is different from other games and it should remain so.

9 Likes

Yeah but it’s also different because it lacks basic MP Interactions. The orbs and non synchronous MP we have now is Pointless and dumb.

No Mans Sky needs basic MP,interactions because the min to min gameplay is so mundane. Adding a Co-op buddy to tag along with instantly would make this game better. And why no PVP lol? Would make thinsg alot more interesting.

The only current danger for me atm is bugged out preds spawing 2ft from my face and instead of me mining a tree,im axtually mining a 4.4m Preds. ;).

Or add some backstory thru procedural notes or something. CUZ the mim to min grindy gameplay is boring and uninspiring. At least a co-op friend would be cool,these orbs are pointless tho lol

1 Like

Like I said in the OP I don’t think the Multiplayer additions fit…Especially PVP. This is NMS not GTA, if that makes sense. I think the idea to add multiplayer was a ploy to draw players back, like that was the reason they won’t play the game. Its an “exploration game”. And at the moment HG seems to have forgotten that. Add more variety, not more multiplayer modes they’re going the wrong direction. Of course, this is my opinion.

Maybe have a another mode for PVP people, like Normal mode, Permadeath and “PVP” (clever name here) :grin:

6 Likes

True but u know in the original vision PVP was a thing right?

Anyways,I only think PVP would be good cuz it would add depth and consequence to MP interactions. And the exploration part of the game will always be a case of diminishing returns,there will never be enough assets and props for their to be actual exploration. There’s just too many planets,too many ways for humans to see similarities,not enough terrain variations,etc.

So instead I hope HG expands on the Citizen Science Division. Whether this be thru LVL 4 ingame Atlas Passes allowing whatever,or thru voluntary community based missions,etc.

That’s when NMS feels real to me. Traveling to the Galactic Hub. Seeing other players bases and solely using other Travelers bases as income and focus my base on ONLY looking cool,is when NMS shines for me.

That way u can start having true emergent gameplay. Rather than just endlessly and pointlessly grinding from one no backstory planet to another,nothing to actually do other than walk around and look at shit. Nothing emergent ever happens.

So unless HG can completely revamp creature spawns and behaviors,planets will always just be screenshot generators with a different color scheme.

Adding Hubs,both player made and NPC made Wouod really bring NMS to th3 next level.

2 Likes

Focus on multiplayer is mostly nonsense, especially after they literally just opened the door for the playerbase to split among five galaxies…just one is too large for multiplayer. And opening pvp would instantly split the hubs…because people can now screw with you or your base. Even if just by opting out that now becomes far fewer people interacting and a large portion not caring. They do need to enhance variety and rewards a bit and I feel that that has to be stuff everyone still playing benefits from and cares about. Space stations are still internally and functionally identical and the atlas passes do not do much in the way of anything terribly interesting and so on…that can be expanded and I’m sure they have other ideas too. But not multiplayer…maybe allow players to see actual player characters when they see others and potentially implement voice chat…but PVP absolutely not…that would be instantly viewed as an invitation for troublemakers to go to the hubs and many would instantly leave.

3 Likes

No…the original vision for the game did not include PVP…multiplayer of any kind was always intended to be a post launch thing and Hello Games never specifically defined what form they wanted multiplayer to take but they did state they did not intend to have player on player fights…they stated several times that if people wanted proper multiplayer they should not buy No Man’s Sky because that was NOT the kind of game they wanted to make.

4 Likes

Yes they did,it sure as hell wasn’t a emphasis,but players killing players was a thing they talked about in videos. Namely the GameSpot E32014 series.

We need something,increased AI, more and better Sentinel types, a journal to keep track of all the lore we encounter,etc. The game as it is is,just one big soup of planets and meaningless gameplay,but an awesome experience,truly.

Who knows what 1.4 will bring,these,are just things I want NMS to try. Cuz looking at the same derpy creatures with the same squeals and growls on 100 planets gets Old after a while : (

I just can’t wait for 1.4 : )

1 Like

They never talked about having any interest in developing PVP and ONLY talked about PVP in the context of what other games did they didn’t care to do AT ALL. They specifically said they only want players to be aware if someone else was around and to be able to see others…NOT to actually interact with others…they outright said there would be no playing or fighting with your friends. That’s it…nothing more nothing less.

4 Likes

What makes NMS so unique and so addicting is the size and endless exploration. I really hope they don’t get distracted too much with the multi-player stuff. Just spend more time on the planets, space, travel and map. Throw in some wild crazy things to find and explore. Expand the procedural generation engine for the planets and make some rare hard to find ones. It would be really cool if each galaxy was more unique. Don’t know if that’s possible but it would be another incentive to move towards the true center if each galaxy was unique and totally different from all others.

4 Likes

Sean said player griefing, not PVP. In fact, Sean specifically stated that NMS would NEVER have multiplayer deathmatches on another occasion.

3 Likes

The only form of Grief that you can do to others has always been in NMS. We can take away the ability for some one else to name stuff. That has always been what I see as Griefing :slight_smile:

PVP has always been defined to me as directly influencing the gameplay of others. PVE has always been about dealing with the environment and surviving. Due to the way we are separated by Dimensions, the game has a very unique position in gaming. NMS can have PVE and PVP aspects and still remain a working game. Unlike most other games that just create a mess of two conflicting Game Modes.

But for the most part, NMS is a PVE experience. We survive by our own efforts and keep playing because we have developed a need to discover more of No Man’s Sky’s Universe. When I look at what Hello Games has created, I see a game of exploration. When I see what our Community has created, I see a group of Explorers :slight_smile:

What would have happened to NMS if people had seen Talking Orbs back in 2016 when it released? Well we don’t know? But we do know that through trials and tribulations this community has grown into a stronger group. I am glad to be a CSD Member and a part of this ETARC Forum.

What ever Hello Games wanna do in 1.4, I will keep doing what I love to do,I Will Explore A Virtually Limitless World :slight_smile:

If most games are buckets of water 6 feet deep then NMS is a Lake a mile wide that used to be 1 inch deep but with 3 updates is now about a half a foot deep and getting deeper :slight_smile:

5 Likes