What are you playing as?

That was insane!! I would have never predicted so much freedom, so refined mechanics!
If anyone wants to check it out… Spoiler warning. But if IGN can play it, I don’t think it’s that terrible for is to watch a bit, right? Right?

SPOILER!!!

- YouTube

6 Likes

@Virakotxa: I edited the link to be even more behind a ‘spoiler’ wall to prevent any accidental clicks and another chance to consider going there :wink:

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure I’m going to play as Sean Murray.

…that is definitely going to be a reward for one of these in-game community events, right?!?

4 Likes

Given the fact that they had a starter ship, but still opened locked doors at the space station leads me to believe they were in creative mode. This makes me think, just as all things in creative mode, that all of the customization options shown will not likely be available from start in the other modes.

2 Likes

Definitely creative mode…you can see that dude craft stuff without having/needing resources in their other videos.

2 Likes

I’d say at least all the race and head types would be available from the get-go in any mode, for persistency’s sake. It’s possible that you have to earn other things like clothing types etc, but since they don’t seem to have any gameplay effect, it’s doubtful.

2 Likes

I don’t know if this is true or not but I hope that some characters are unlockables. I mean, seeing some of the storyline characters is a bit of spoiler if you haven’t played the story yet, Imho.

It absolutely IS 100% true…there’s gameplay video evidence of the character creation in NEXT that proves it.

Well I hope they don’t unlock before you’ve played the storyline then. :slight_smile:

The character creation doesn’t tell you what they are or that they look like characters from the story…they’re just body pieces you can choose for yourself if you like the look.

1 Like

This might be completely off the mark, but I don’t expect the story in NEXT to be the same.
The story in Atlas Rises used a limitation of the game as its main plothook. I.e. That multiple players could be in the same place, but were unable to see each other although they were apparently in the same universe. The whole point of the Atlas Rises story is that these boundaries were starting to break down, but were not removed entirely. As much as NMS lore overall is a meta-commentary on how it actually is a simulation (and a rather generic one at points), as much the Atlas Rises story is a meta-commentary on how the game doesn’t have multiplayer (or why it was in the very limited form implemented in Atlas RIses).

It just would not work anymore in next. It would be completely out of place. And while I have no guarantee for that, I really hope HG is aware of that and put in a new story (in fact, the way the whole thing played out, I basically expect for that step to have been planned from the beginning).

1 Like

Would it be feasible to assume that spoiler footage (that I’ve avoided) features creative mode where most everything is available immediately as opposed to the other modes where unlockables are acquired via achievement or purchase?

2 Likes

Possible but I doubt it…creative mode doesn’t give access to everything…only glyphs, building parts and removes cost from stuff…but there was no store or cost of any kind for the character customization interface. Even in creative mode when you “buy” stuff for free you see a cost of “0” units/nannite clusters…no such thing was present there.

1 Like

I hope you are correct. Being able to alter the character as you please would add a fun side ellement to normal playthrough.

2 Likes

Not to mention it would be terribly boring if everyone started with a couple of character looks…everyone would look the same for a long time.

2 Likes

We’ll have weekly events, i can’t believe it’s will be “fedex quests” or such boring thing. I think we can expect “story events” using the new part of the lore. I hope we’ll know more about abandoned bases, ruins, world of glass, abyss etc…

I’m thinking these weekly community events will be fairly basic but promote community areas.

Like, visit the amino hub and do X amount of space station missions to receive special gold, or go to the Galactic hubs home star and kill predatory creatures etc.

According to Ign the multiplayer missions on freighter seem to be more or less the usual ones you get from the current mission system so I don’t see weekly community events being all that different,

I think they’ll just be more about highlighting the communities out there for players who don’t browse forums or reddit etc, they’ll be more about getting us to converge on a location doing basic little quests.

No different than what you might expect from Warframe or destiny or your typical MMO halloween/Christmas event that have weekly challenges that are usually “kill x of this” or “get x hewdshots” or “gather x of something” etc.

Keeping my expectations on that one low and expecting the industry standard for it. It could try and be more complex but would be almost Impossible to track certain things in a procgen universe. It’ll prob be a basic, visit this famous system, once it pops on yr discovery list the game knows you’ve been there and here’s Yr reward coins.

I don’t think it’s possible for it to be any more specific beyond that. Like they could say go to this famous planet known in the community for its creaturess and feed six of that specific creature, but there’s no way from what I can tell about how the game works, that they could track this properly.

I’m gonna assume it’s mild activities but fun community highlights until next-NEXT week.

28 hours until update :slight_smile: 12 hours until lucky midnight shoppers get their xbox copies.

We’re nearly there :smiley:

2 Likes

Mad i got off work today thinking it was the 24th got home and went to see if there was an update and nothing my dreams are crushed lol

2 Likes

25 hours and 15 minutes until the update releases.

5 Likes