What about a female form

I love the new update But… when choosing an avatar would really appreciate a Female shape to be included in the space suit as well as an obvious male figure.
Hopefuly one will be created soon.

5 Likes

I thought this too, maybe they were thinking one size fits all but would be nice for all the lady travellers out there

2 Likes

I may be wrong but I think the only reference to there possibly being genders in the NMS universe might be that Vy’keen dialogue about accepting the dowry and Union on the vykeens behalf or telling them to just go through with it. Though it does not specify they are a female or male gender.

Gender seems to be a concept the Atlas does not understand or recognise and that becomes even more apparent on creature scans. You get everything from obtuse to symmetrical when viewing a creatures gender but rarely male or female, and you’d be hard picked trying to separate a male gek from a female gek. We know they reproduce via eggs so they may even be asexual beings.

The only thing I can really take away from NMS and its view towards gender is, there are more than two genders and even so at the end of the day it makes no difference and its not important which you afe, internally we are all the same. Travellers. Interlopers. Explorers. Adventurers. Traders. Maybe I’m looking too deep for a theme there but knowing what I know about the development team at HG, taking this approach with gender doesn’t surprise me.

Though if any of the species personifies a stereotypical gender trait, it would probably be the vykeen and masculinity :see_no_evil: though I think the races represent the three pillars of nms more than gender traits so there’s only correlation there.

10 Likes

The Vy’keen are the only race that are confirmed to have human-style genders and family structures, true (and the fact that we can’t really tell which is which fits perfectly fine into the game).
The Korvax certainly don’t. We don’t know about the Gek. The travelers could pretty much be anything, and actually have quite androgynous body plans.
But the anomalies are so clearly human that yes, I think there deserves to be a female body type for them, because the current one is clearly male. If the suits were bulkier I’d give it a pass, because a Woman in an actual space suit looks very much the same as a man in an actual space suit, but they’re more akin to motorcycle gear. I’d also not care if the anomalies would be more alien. But if you’re putting humans in there, asking for a male and a female variant shouldn’t be too much.

3 Likes

Good points…just that if I am seeing myself… I would like something that refects how I see myself… tha’s all.
Really don’t want to go into the current worry of gender choice, my comment wasn’t about that… maybe a Granny form would aslo be a bit closer to me…what about a knitted shawl or slippers!!!
Ummm maybe not.

6 Likes

Agreed, the anomalies definitely lean more towards a male standard body. I think they nailed the balance with the original Travellers. Their bodies and features are a nice blend of masculine and feminine features and their faces are just all your favourite pet animals (or favourite 80s Sci fi robot, depending on preference)

hqdefault%20(1)

I should add, I’m all for the original posts view on having a more feminine character model for anomalies, just saw it as a good opportunity to also discuss gender in the game in general :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think this is a great idea. Regardless of how gender has been presented in game so far, I think this is a exosuit option for anomaly types that many players would use and appreciate.

3 Likes

The above thoughts are great… Thanks for the replies.

1 Like

Let’s not forget there were females amongst the sleepers connected to the satellite that wore exosuits

6 Likes

And children. Must be one size fits all :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I don’t really see the anomaly body as male, I see it as wearing a bulky suit, but then again I know women with a lot of different body types so I don’t really see it as a male body type. I think of it kind of like Captain Plasma in Star Wars.

2 Likes

Bulky? Have you looked at that Butt? :smile:

5 Likes

I’ve seen all kinds of people with small butts. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I have a small butt. :stuck_out_tongue:
The ExoSuit SUITS (-ahem-) me just fine. :smiley:

… and since I’m a Star Wars fan/geek WITH OCD & perfectionist tendencies . . .
I will “forgive” the autocorrect of Captain Phasma to “Plasma”, @SaraStarwind! :wink:
(Yeah, it’s a bit of a silly name, anyway…)

Overall , I would support OP’s position re having the option for a “more obviously feminine” form avatar.

I forget, offhand … but I think it was Saint’s Row II’s character creation / editing / modifying tech which had a Body Shape “range” bar which went from “feminine” to “masculine”, being super-curvy (hourglass) through androgynous to uber-muscly; then different sliders for “skinny to obese” and “short to tall”.

It may well be that HG will implement that sorta thing, somewhere down the line, but I would hope that they’d be more focused on “higher priority” tweaks / updates / patches / improvements to current overall Gameplay
(and re-instating BASES from old saves, and maybe even restoring the lovely planets where the bases stood?) BEFORE worrying too much about Avatar looks… in sense of “priority”, with no disrespect to one gender side of our massively mixed :heart: player base.

Personally, I don’t regard our current avatars as “overtly male”, while I can agree that where they look more “biker” than “spacefarer” it may suggest more masculine than feminine…

1 Like

It was, and that game still has the best character creator ever because of that bar. My character was in the middle of for a long time LOL and then of course they went all feminine. I love that series just for that alone and the fact you could wear whatever clothes you wanted. But on topic the only thing I can really think of when they say they want an obviously female avatar is exaggerated hips or exaggerated breast, because that’s what most people seem to want. I mean your anomaly doesn’t even have to be human, they can just be humanoid. You could be a Klingon, or a lot of other humanoid species. Also the character inside could be gender-neutral or non-binary.

3 Likes

That DID come to mind; I couldn’t for the life of me come up with anything else to express “feminine” of form, esp when “face” (and therefore “hair”) is hidden… “hips” and “bust” (and maybe “butt”).
More specifically, though, “hips-to-waist differential”, cuz guys can have “wider hips”, except they’re most often also got a massive gut too – such that “wider hips” aren’t seen as such; in clothes, it becomes simply “bigger waist”.

I DO note that our OP for this thread is a self-professed quintagenarian (if I read a previous post correctly).
Would you be happy, @Linshell, to offer a “more specific” thought on “how” you’d like to see an avatar shaped, such that the average person would be able to say “that’s definitely a female”…?
IS there anything, beyond bust and waist, to do so? (Esp given hidden face/hair.)

I started this thread because when I was showing my partner the new update and the avatar I referred to the figure as HE. Which gave us both pause for thought. Raising the question why had I assumed that it was a HE.
I know there are other needs to be addressed in the game but this is such a fab team both players and creators I feel sure one day things such a Gait, more suit options( I don’t what to be an alien just a human type) and even an atmosphere friendly section to our Bases so we could perhaps one day take those helmets off…
My ideal avater would refect my own shape even though I am not overweight I do have a waist and walk in a female way as hip joints in the female skeleton are a diff shape to males.
Yes yes I know we are all different, even so I am walking on theses amazing planets and I believe it is real for just a few moments each game…bet we have all that that experience!

1 Like

Ooo ooo and just while I am thinking about suits …wouldn’t it be great if we could come accross a chest of posessions in those crashed ships which when opened had interesing and strange objects which could be added to our suit as a sort of decoration or souvenir.
The suits could have certain areas which these things can attached to and maybe when coming accross another crashed ship if a better object is found then one of the collected ones have to be ditched…
This would really give Identity when we encounter others.

2 Likes

I think Princess Leia in Return of the Jedi is a good example. Even with the bounty hunter disguise, it’s obvious from the get go it’s female. The way it walked and moved.

Poses, emotes, animations also help. This is an exaggerated hour glass shape, but regardless, men don’t usually stand and look like this. I don’t know why women do, but it’s clear a woman is standing there in the picture.

Screenshot%20-%208_6_2018%20%2C%2012_32_29%20PM

4 Likes

I just want to point out that the thing that defines a person’s gender is themselves. Also that I never play in third person and didn’t want it so I don’t really have as much of a stake in this.

1 Like