Waking Titan is returning! / Investigation

I have another theory…I don’t know if it’s been brought up before. What if HG decided to cancel the ARG due to the car accident that one guy was involved in while trying to go to the last dead drop? I mean the game already had a lot of bad PR going on around launch that they decided it’s not worth the risk of potentially making headlines for someone getting hurt trying to play the ARG? They’re not talking so we don’t really have any way of knowing for sure but it seems like something that could realistically have happened.

2 Likes

…or maybe just decided to scrap livedrop parts of the ARG which requires a rework of what was planned…

1 Like

Hmm…I don’t know…I mean it shouldn’t be so terribly difficult to rewrite for the removal of dead drops to justify two months of silence just for that. I mean however this would happen if it were happening would presumably be with a timeline in mind that would align with the release of the next major update. I don’t think they’d delay this much for an ARG rewrite…so either something happened with development or something happened with the ARG I think.

2 Likes

I think in many ways not talking not only hurts the game and the community but hello games as game creators.

They need to be a little more open.

2 Likes

Right after that wreck happened, Anashel, one of the main leaders of Alice and Smith, said on the discord that the guy would receive a METAL Atlas Level 4 Pass for his ordeal. That is how they will deal with the PR problem, not canceling the ARG.

7 Likes

Well I don’t think it’s that simple…this was fortunately a minor incident but if something more major were to happen like someone getting hurt or killed the headlines would cause catastrophic damage especially as many haters from launch would love to jump right back on the hate train. A metal pass wouldn’t help at all there.

Especially if HG potentially plan another re-launch or something along the lines of a definitive edition once they’re done working on the game they might be very weary of another incident spoiling all their hard work to bring the game so far.

2 Likes

That issue may also be fixed by giving us more advanced notice of the time and location of live drops, so its not such a scrammble to get there.

In other words: Anyone can have an unexpected accident, but it would be the haste created by the ARG that is related to accident that would cause the bad publicity.

4 Likes

The ARG is a voluntary leisure activity. No-one is forced to take part. You join in at your own risk.

Across the world, hundreds of thousands of people are killed or seriously injured every year, from voluntarily participating in sports or leisure activities. Such injuries are not in any way unusual. There is no form of human activity that is without risk. The ARG is doubtless a lot safer than horse-riding, or playing football.

In that context, I don’t believe Alice & Smith have done anything wrong. I don’t believe the risks of the ARG are significantly greater than those of everyday life in general.

Having said the above, I must admit that the matter of publicity is a different issue. If there were to be a serious accident, would you, as a sponsor, want your product associated with it?

Probably not.

9 Likes

Right, but fair or not if something terrible happens the headlines would be there and you can’t reason with angry mobs in the court of public opinion where many would joyfully jump on the hate train…the PR damage would still be done regardless. And there would be too many online “news” sites way too willing to twist the story in the most dramatic ways possible for clicks. What’s reasonable and fair too often does not apply to fake public outrage. Not to mention that if something terrible happened there’s real chance they could be sued by someone too because that’s how today’s world works and that wold create more lasting terrible headlines too.

Remember trying to reason with haters at launch…oh Sean repeatedly and very specifically said NOT to buy this game if you wanted multiplayer because this game does not do multiplayer…but nevermind facts, those need not apply when people decide they’re going to senselessly hate on something. And there was no reasoning with all the desperate publications looking to ride the click train. I don’t remember a single news article around that time being remotely reasonable about it…because being reasonable was not good for business…reasonable isn’t good for business…the more dramatic headlines get clicks.

2 Likes

I understand where you’re coming from. No-one wants to see a return the chaos and unpleasantness that surrounded the original launch.

I found it particularly trying, faced by wave upon wave of malevolent venom, and thinking “Is it me? I actually like this thing”.

But I don’t think there’s the same intensity of interest now to cause that kind of backlash.

Hello Games are deliberately keeping expectations low. They are making no claims for the future. In fact, they’re making no announcements at all.

Whilst you can see the ARG as a form of hype, in the past, it has made no specific claims about the game, either.

The press and social media feeding frenzy that attended the launch of NMS is largely absent this time around. Everybody who’s interested in NMS already knows what it is. Future improvements may be great, or small, but they’re not going to change the fundamental nature of the game. HG have not promised anything specific. Consequently, there’s nothing for people to be disappointed about.

There are still a few die-hard trolls hanging around the forums, but you get that with any social media subject. Give destructive sociopaths a voice, and they will shout.

If there were a serious accident associated with the ARG, then yes, it would cause a lot of bad publicity. But that would be true of any public event. Every now and then, people actually die at motor racing events, boxing tournaments, and music festivals, but it doesn’t stop them. Nor, in my belief, should the possibility of an unforeseen accident stop the ARG.

10 Likes

What HG want to take chances on or not I have no idea, that’s their decision to make and they aren’t exactly telling anyone. I hope they didn’t cancel the ARG but hard to say what is going on. I can’t imagine it was part of their plan to start and then suddenly stop for this long. It’s pretty much gotta be either something on the ARG side or on the development side I think.

3 Likes

We are supposed to be getting “plenty of sleep” and be well rested. Someone please tell that to my boss! :smiley:

8 Likes

I might be making a video soon giving my thoughts on waking titan and No Mans Sky among other topics so if I do i will post the link if you guys would like to see it.

6 Likes

The problem is, I’ve had so much sleep now, I can’t rest anymore. I think I’ll drop and do a few push ups lol…

6 Likes

Update . Made Video waiting till tonight upload said video playing fortnite till I grind my first solo win

3 Likes

Might totaly be because I haven’t played in a long time but when i loded up NMS @ 330am (when I should have been sleeping, along with some ambiant noise, there seamed to be odd beeping followed by static and more beeping… It started as soon as the hello games logo came on screen and didnt. Go away untill after galixy fly through load screen… Link to a video I took shownig it.

2 Likes

One of the random tracks that will play. The sort of ‘music’/soundscape you can expect from 65dos as well. Yes, it sounds like static and beeping, but does not indicate anything special.

4 Likes

Well GDC has started and nothing today…there supposedly was something or another about the number 319 so there was speculation it was a reference to March 19 and nothing. Tomorrow is when Innes is supposed to speak but Innes is one of four people from different developers that have a one hour block so I don’t know if they’ll speak together for an hour or one after another or whatever but regardless it doesn’t seem like the kind of platform that will be used to announce anything. So I’m not expecting anything meaningful to happen tomorrow…hopefully I’m wrong but I think the best we can hope for is some vaguely passive comment indicating that NMS development is still happening and that there will still be another update. I’ll be very happy if I end up having to eat these words but the silence is deafening.

4 Likes

Don’t worry mate, everything will come on the right time! :wink:

6 Likes

N
E
X
T

official site.

2 Likes