Waking ETARC

Hey I decided after careful deliberation to share this with you guys. While my worries of the negative repercussions of sharing something sensitive are presently low, I’ll post this and run before doubt rears its ugly head again.

Over the last few months I’ve been making a song for each planet discovered in the Trappist system (that list has grown since I began).

I had written this one over the weekend as I watched phase one of Waking Titan come to fruition, so I dedicated it to ETARC, Waking Titan, Hello games and the wonderful community that surrounds No Mans Sky.

I am by no means a professional, nor have I had any classes or training or any clue how to mix or master effectively,

music is just a hobby of mine.

14 Likes

I like it. Tones of Jean Michel Jarre. Nice work you should be proud mate.

It’s not bad at all.

I would give you one tip: Try getting a decently sounding drum machine. Recording drums that sound good without a proper studio setup is really, really hard. For soloists, the time is usually better spent learning to work with a proper drum machine instead of learning the intricacies of properly playing, tuning and recording your drums.

Speaking of playing drums, you have some timing problems with your bass, and I would dare a guess that most of it is from an improper seating position. Your chair should be adjusted in a way that you can relatively comfortably lift both legs at once without losing your balance (ergo, sit straight, adjust chair so your knees are at a 90 degree angle when laying your feet flat on the pedals). And step on that Hi-Hat properly, it’s too open especially when you’re doing rolls on it.
Sorry, that sounded kind of rude. I’ve worked as a drum teacher for some time in the past, I guess I still have a bit of a deformation from that. It’s overall a very nice piece, drum issues just throw me off very quickly (deformation, remember? :smile: ). As mentioned, you’d probably be better off sound-wise when working with a drum machine in the first place.

I wish I could hear it. PS4 won’t let me use audio files. It would have to be put on a youtube video or something.

Will only be able to properly listen once not sitting at my work desk, and when feeling a bit more hazy… but I dig so far!

Can be listened to on mobile web browser.

Nice and chilled dude, I like it! :vulcan_salute::smiley::+1:

I don’t have a smart phone either.

Oh noodles! I see you predicament :pensive:

Nice work, dude!

Musician here as well (nothing on soundcloud, mostly just play around town and do the jazzy jamz) - but hey, I dig! Sure, there are a couple of more obvious kick drum/rhythm issues there towards the end, but overall it sounds great!

The synth tone is killer.

1 Like

I admire your bravery, and it doesn’t sound bad at all. Someone mentioned getting a drum machine to improve your drum sounds. In my opinion that would be a mistake. Just quantize the drum track. The trick to good drum sounds, imo, is layering. All stock drums sound flat, and I think that’s on purpose to give the widest range of sounds when applying different reverbs and stuff, sort of like recording in an acoustically deadened sound booth so you can tailor the sound in post. Here’s a pretty good article on the subject of layering:

I think it’s really cool that you use the planets you encounter to inspire music. What a great approach. I have such bad writers block right now!

1 Like

There is a mystery hidden in those sounds, I like it.

It reminds me one of the best old DOS sci-fi games I’ve ever played - Ascendancy.

It’s amazing soundtrack is hunting my dreams from time to time (well, not literally, but you know what I mean). Maybe you will find some inspiration there too.

Ascendancy - Race Themes

By the way - you can play this game online and for free here.

2 Likes

Got a good sound. Keep up the good work!

Damn, I thought I was the only one who remembers that relic. Forgettable AI, but yeah, that music still sticks with me!

1 Like