Today I was trying to resolve the issue with not being able to upload my base to steam workshop.
For some reason it stoped working at some point last year, with an error message “not enough space”.
Back then I just put this aside for the future, when I would have mood/time or maybe it is just going to be fixed in some other way itself.
So I’ve tried it once again and got the same message of “no free cloud space”.
Then I went to steam forums and found out, that I have gigabytes of free space on steam workshop available, as I have not uploaded anything there yet (I deleted my old base upload after 1.3 update).
I noticed that my base’s entry appeared in the workshop, but with no name, description, screenshot and etc.
So I was trying to upload some screenshots, reduce base complexity, delete everything and re-upload - nothing helped.
Then I went to game settings and got a terrible surprise, that I have only 20 megabytes of space for NMS save data and it is already fully used.
I decided to check out if this could be the reason and is there a workaround to that limitation and did the following steps:
- backup game data (twice )
- launch nms and load from save
- while nms is still running, switch over to explorer and delete save data from AppData/HelloGames folder
- exit nms and wait until steam will delete game save data from the cloud
- disable cloud sync in nms settings
- restore game save data, launch nms, load save and upload base to steam workshop
- quit nms and enable steam cloud sync (here I noted, that my base data was stored in the cloud game save storage)
- launch nms, check everything is working fine and wait until steam will sync game save data
- save, exit nms, wait for cloud sync to complete (here I noted, that steam deleted my base data from cloud and put game save data instead)
- launch nms again and check everything is fine
- then go to steam workshop and try to load my base
I was thrown to a completely different base location on the same planet and with the completely empty base. And not only that - after reloading to normal save, I have found that all comms on my base are gone.
I sit for a while trying to calm down and tried to restart the game. Thankfully my save loaded successfully and all comms were there again. That was close one…
Issue number one: nms uses game save cloud space to transfer information to steam workshop storage area and thus can’t do this successfully, if one have save data sync enabled and space is used up.
Probable issue number two: nms is putting to steam workshop a reference to the actual data, stored in game save cloud area. And thus, when I reenabled save cloud sync - I deleted base data and nms failed to load it, when I tried to visit own base by loading it from workshop.
I need someones help to check this probable second issue. I have the same nickname on steam and the base name is Oakian Outpost.
If someone will have time to try to load my base from the workshop and visit it - it will help to understand if it’s me, who can’t visit own’s base or files were damaged indeed.