Tips & Tricks

In VR, you can point your multitool/hand to the direction you want to jetpack in. Point up gets more lift.

This is how you swim as well.

Sadly, zoom doesn’t work in VR. Even if you bind the oculus touch to “zoom” it is ignored.

6 Likes

For PC:

To combat the bugs that seem to be in NMS at the moment, try turning on file history which makes an automatic backup of your saved games every 30 minutes or less if needed.

Windows 7 or 10

Settings → backup → backup using file history–ON
then click “more options” and find “Backup these folders” then “Add Folder”
The folder you want to add is %APPDATA%\HelloGames\NMS
or C:\Users<your username>\AppData\Roaming\HelloGames\NMS

To restore to an earlier time (close NMS before) find and select the NMS folder in explorer and right click “Restore previous versions” and pick a time/date. Probably a good idea to make a shortcut on desktop to this folder.

3 Likes

I am sure many have already found out they can now place the ‘Save Point’ inside your freighter, but for those who have not noticed yet, really useful. I made sure I tested it as well and it works as expected so far :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Thank you! that is really helpful. I’d been backing up that folder by hand (which I will probably end up doing anyway)

Too bad Win7 won’t allow you to name the file yourself. (Silly WinDOZE).

1 Like

Just be careful. I had all base parts disappear on me once. It was the one time I was really glad I did not save. Had it saved automatically, I would have been in big trouble.

So good to see the dirt we mine up being useful for a change.

4 Likes

Right to the important question

3 Likes

FYI, I was curious. I got brave and opened a pre-NEXT save. Wonder of wonders, it didn’t crash and there was no stuttering. I’ll check bases and more later this week as work allows me time.

I did test varied in-game graphics setting. The difference is huge between some options. I plan to test which caused the creature details disparity later.

I did have a “senior moment” and almost submitted a bug report about a lack of target cursor and “E” interact icon when talking with NPCs. Then I remembered I’d disabled the HUD. I wish some parts of the HUD could be selectively disabled.

3 Likes

A tip for gathering quickly and some advice for people with possessed hands in PSVR Move

In VR when using the move controls, if you have a lot of resources to pick up at once, you don’t need to grab and pull every time. You can just grab and walk to the next item and it will pull as you move away. Very handy when gathering solanium etc.

Also if anyone is having weird issues with hands misbehaving or going absolutely bonkers like shaking all around the screen, I found shaking your wrist around or reseting move control a quick remedy.

However, what became a permanent solution for me was going into the ps4 system settings and recalibratin the move controls. I hadn’t done so since 2017 and I lived in a different apartment then :joy: no more spasm hands, hooray!

Hope that helps anyone having track issues with move on PSVR.

2 Likes

Tip: when on hazard planets and you need to make some other material and your ship is not with you.
Open the refiner and put your stuff into it.
Do not exit. As long as you have the refiner open you do not loose hazard protection.

7 Likes

This is true of many interactables on PS4 when using D-Shock controller as well.
Even works when a pilot you wish to talk to wanders off. Hold □ as you brush over him and he’ll turn around to have a chat. You don’t need the icon to show the whole time you are holding □.

1 Like

With move controls its not just a matter of holding the button, you have to physically pull your arm towards you to initiate conversation, open crate, use object or collect flora samples etc. By just walking away while holding you don’t need to move your arm as often.

Useful when you’re starting to tire though it is super fun to just run into a field of oxygen plants and just grab grab grab with both your grabby arms…

Once ones coffee levels are optimum :smirk:

One thing I am loving now is how the scanner locks on so you can scan a creature etc and walk away as it scans <3

6 Likes

I just noticed that you can dump up to 100 batteries into a suit cargo slot :+1:

8 Likes

Yup, cargo can hold double stacks but ship can’t now so its become even more important for storage.

I also noticed that buried Tech goes straight into my cargo slot, even if I have a half stack in my exosuit inventory. Can hold 30 in cargo :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

Can’t get a building part in place? Try changing the order in which you place them. You’ll notice that you can even get parts to overlap at times.

5 Likes

When exchanging nav data for charts there’s 4 kinds for the different categories of structure. Only 1 type is available from any space station. Seem’s to be completely random.

4 Likes

Well well well, I got Atlas Pass one!
Found 2 manufacturing facilities and shot the door with my bolt caster.
Ran like hell around the mountain and doubled back.
The sentinels followed, lost me, and when I got to back took the door down without further issue.
Ran inside.
Sentinels are still returning.
That makes sure they do not glitch and end up inside.
I received 4 recipes.

5 Likes

Thanks to our amazing new indoor shooting abilities, (which the sentinels did not inherit) luring them inside is like shooting fish in a barrel. :grinning:

13 Likes

Shhh… Not so loud. >.>

:laughing:

4 Likes

Is that better…:grin:

4 Likes

Hey, what’s everyone whispering about?

*leans ear in *

:fearful::flushed:

I thought maybe that was just a VR thing :zipper_mouth_face:

5 Likes