Starting over after NEXT?

Now that we know a little more about NEXT, I was wondering how many people are planning to start over with the new update.

The last time I started over was with the Foundation update, I regret it a little bit because of the sentimental value of having my original day one save, but I had my reasons back then, there’s nothing I can do about it now and I still have the screenshots.
To me the Foundation update really changed the way I play the game and I had the feeling that I needed to start over to really experience it. Pathfinder just added more stuff to what Foundation had brought and Hello Games stated on their website that you can experience all of Atlas Rises without having to start over, so I didn’t. So far, to me, the Foundation update really felt like the actual foundation for the other two updates. I really liked the original game, but now it feels a bit like a sort of early access and the Foundation update feels like the base game, if that makes sense.

NEXT seems like it might change the game the same way Foundation did, so I think I might start over when it comes out. This time around we can have multiple saves though, so I’ll just keep my old one. If they say you can get the full experience without starting over, like with Atlas Rises, I might just keep playing on my current save and play with a friend on a different one.

So what are your plans when NEXT comes out?

7 Likes

I don’t plan to start over…at all…ever. I plan to just grow my character with each update…more/better ships/gear/freighter/exocrafts, all tech blueprints, all product recipes, etc…whatever each update offers I’ll have it. Everything S class, all the best stats, etc…when the final update for this game drops whether that is in 6 months or 10 years from now I want a character that has been through it all from day 0. The first time I booted up the game and started my primary character was roughly about 30 minutes after my digital copy of the game unlocked…the reason for the delay was because I went to GameStop for the midnight launch to pick up my PS4 CE. I have not died in game since before the foundation update and I had 4 deaths total…most of them due to dumb mistakes and unnecessary risks.

9 Likes

I am backing up my save on usb to start. And when NEXT arrives I will use a free save slot and start fresh but keeping my big save. After I know most of the big bugs are worked out I will get on my main save again… Also it depends on if multiplayer will have it’s own separate save, that might change a few things too lol

6 Likes

Yes!! Backing up your primary save is important. I played on my main save when Atlas Rises launched but ran into a critical problem that would have ended my game if I didn’t have a back up…I lost something like 15 to 20 hours of progress but not 850+ so yeah…thread carefully with new updates. Now I keep backups of my saves to the cloud and to a flash drive.

6 Likes

I’m starting over with Atlas Rises. And yes I’m planning to start over again with NEXT.

4 Likes

Waiting to see if there is any legitimate reason to start over. I try not to over analyze something until I have all the facts. :smiley:

7 Likes

Currently planning to start a fresh shared game with Mrs MH to see what changes have come in but retain our valuable old saves to allow time for bugs to be sorted.
After losing my ‘day one’ to a gamewrecker bug (Atlas Rises), I’ll play this one more carefully.

6 Likes

As long as there isn’t any story content, I won’t start over my main save. However, I might make a second save just to play a three person multiplayer with two other Twitch streamers.

3 Likes

I suggest backing up your saves in multiple places before NEXT…as I primarily play on PS4 I back my saves to the cloud and keep copies to a USB flash drive too.

5 Likes

Definitely.

After every content update I restart my survival save and being anew and try to experience the full update in all its glory.

And I love the difficulty early game NMS provides so I’m all for it.

2 Likes

Used my cloud save and a complete reinstall once already to retrieve a wrecked game and now regularly save to multiple USBs for zero reliance on cloud saves… as my internet is occasionally unreliable.
Lesson learned.

4 Likes

So far I’ve played the game offline on PC but don’t know if that still will be possible after the Next update.
So I just wait for a while till possible bugs have been repaired before downloading it.

I may start fresh on a PS 4 but that will depend on how well I can handle a controller lol

2 Likes

I constantly manually force save to cloud to ensure all goes well without errors since if left to its own devices the PS4 doesn’t back the saves to the cloud very often…at least on PS4 I’ve never had an issue with cloud saves…every time I retrieved a save from the cloud for any game it’s worked great.

1 Like

I’ll be carrying on with my current save, if something drastic happens and for whatever reason I lose my save game or it gets corrupted I’ll just start a fresh save

6 Likes

If they just add a Multi-Player Mode, I’ll start a save in that. Since it seems we get the NEXT update the same day the Xbox One version of NMS releases? I think it means they want everyone to start at the same basic level.

If you have Player vs Player, but I get to deal with a newbie who is armed with the starting Multi-Tool and Survival Suit versus my Maxed out equipment? The comparison that springs to mind is having a first level character joining a party of adventurers who are all 5th or 6th level. You have little to add to the party and can get taken down easily by any of them or the dangers you face.

4 Likes

Been playing with my one and only save since the day the game came out, no plans to change that. Got over 1400 hrs into this save.

4 Likes

Currently nesting in the second universe, I am pretty sure most of the hard core soloists have already left my section of universe. I wouldn’t mind having a fleet, fireteam to protect against pirates and the lot but, ( dunano if they are going to have a way to easily meet other people around).

So my primary, not starting over, my survival, well I always did love this mode, might start over, my permadeath NOPE.

XDragon

4 Likes

Depending on how the save modes work, I will be keeping my original save. I too have over 1500 hours in that Normal mode save.

That said, I will probably start a new save also (as long as there is a way to have no pvp), just to experience the new start with the new build.

3 Likes

No plans to start over here. I’m just a lone explorer and I plan on continuing to slowly advance towards the center with some favorite galaxy # stops along the way. It’s all about planet exploration for me.

4 Likes