Settlement Overseer

For any questions or discussions or pics related to running a frontier settlement.

Can you choose a different settlement?

9 Likes

The first thing you must realize as an Overseer (not an Overlord) is that Settlers have feelings too. :heart: :laughing:
in a mood
special
sad

5 Likes

Uncultured rude bounty hunters having their settlement nibbled at by pests? Yeah, sounds like your average star wars town, alright! :rofl:

4 Likes

I have to say, this is fairly complex. It taps into my RPG roots and I am liking it.
Construction tasks, settling the communities debt through managerial decisions…fun so far.
Here is the start of the construction phase on my office. You need to supply materials and then time must pass.

8 Likes

Apparently, if you base build in your settlement and put out a byte-beat, NPCs will dance with you.

6 Likes

I don’t really have much fondness for micro-management games but it’s weird but I think I might actually enjoy this. Being able to walk around the site seems to help.

Haven’t done much but build an office - too busy getting performance right for various planets as I’ve abandoned VR for flat screen. Just fed up with the level of detail (low,blurry) and low performance in some situtation. Currently running near ultra settings (30fps) - NMS looks amazing.

4 Likes

It’s not too micromanaged. Just make decisions on what to build, handle some visitors to your settlement, craft items for the building projects.

4 Likes

You can set up a base at a settlement?! I was unable to.

Edit: additional question. I built an office and some other building. But i havent been asked to build anymore. The settlement is gathering debt continually. Is there something else im supposed to do?

3 Likes

How do you do this? Or can you show us somehow? Really curious as I can only build a base near to get a Bytebeat going

2 Likes

Seems like it after playing a bit more. That’s a relief.

1 Like

I will look. Someone did it on twitter but I did not notice who, :weary:

2 Likes

Found it, I think:

3 Likes

It says build a saloon/dancehall. This may be an additional building requested by your settlers?

3 Likes

Or maybe just a base building…sorry, I am getting hit by the long arm of Hurricane Ida and I just got my internet connected…this has been some day. Wind scared the bejeebs out of me. :dizzy_face: Got stuff in my yard and I don’t know where it came from.

7 Likes

As a long time - almost since release - Fallout 4 player, I’m rather fond of setting up settlements. FO4 gives you tools to keep track of your settlements, as there are a max of around 15 - 20. It looks like I’ll be painting for a while, and writing a bit too, so I guess I’m not such a liar after all. I’ll be very curious to see how this plays out when I do dive into this crazy new world ATLAS Reset onto us. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

The saloon is indeed another in-settlement building you can choose. It’s not part of a regular base.

I was given the choice of building a Saloon (or “Insaubrious Den”), or a large house.

55% of the population wanted the saloon, but it would have lowered productivity by 35%

Only 34% of the people wanted the house, but it increased productivity by 25%

They got the house.

6 Likes

Of course … tsk tsk … logic and all that … :rofl:
well cheers :beers: … no line dancing Gek!

4 Likes

It looks like the devs had a fun time creating the varied “emotions” (feelings) for the NPCs.

• In a mood
  • Feeling special
  • [what’s your FAV?]

LOL.

3 Likes

Keepin’ my eye on this one.

8 Likes

I am wondering, can two people “own” the same settlement?

I see in the space station that there is a second player in this system who has a settlement too. Their planet has the same description as mine – the name of his settlement is different tough. It says “unable to download” when I try to teleport there so I can’t go check.

He keeps coming back to “my” settlement and (after I built a generic vehicle summoning station) he built several specific vehicle summoning stations there. When I look at his summoning stations, I see my own vehicles (which I had not summoned) plus all of his, stacked on top!

I mean, why would he invest in building these summoning stations at “my” settlement unless he saw his mission was at the same location? I wonder what will happen, since we will make different decisions.

PS: After I wrote this, his vehicles and savepoint disappeared. :pleading_face: Is he here on this forum and recognised the planet name? :wink:

6 Likes