Real Time Pandemic Tracker

Totally. So heart-warming. TY :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

What a wild weekend Iā€™ve had.

I live in Manitobaā€¦ Whats happening here is insane. People are blaming the leaders of course, but I donā€™t blame them. I blame the public, and the people informing the leaders. Corruption runs deep within the system of care here, especially when it comes to care homes. I have personally witnessed some things I wont share here that change the way I think about some care workers. Long short, complaints are not treated the way they should be. Currently, the corrupt attack the whistle blowers instead of tackling the problems that caused the complaint in the first place. I want 24/7 cameras beside every person receiving care.

Someone I love so very much has been admitted to the hospital a few moments ago. This person has overcome cancer, and a stroke. She has been trapped in either a bed or a wheelchair for nearly a decade. She is the strongest women I know. I have been, and still am crying on and offā€¦ I thought I was strong. Here I am, waiting for a phone call since nobody else is understandably aloud into the hospital. She is alone.

8 Likes

@JubiTheVille
My heart aches for you.

The only way my husband and his siblings could get inside the nursing home to be with his ninety-plus aged mother was when she gave up and asked to be allowed to die. She already was failing even before contracting Covid.

I understand there have to be precautions but it has been heartbreaking for him. And for many thousands of people going through the same isolating circumstances. People like you who have dear ones .

Take heart. In the end he was able to hold her hand and sit by her side for many days until she quietly slipped away. I hope that your loved one will return to you with full vigor.

The good news for us is that his first test results from a few days ago came back Negative. Tomorrow he goes for his second test. And if that is still negative he can come home for the first time in weeks.

Take heart. I know it is agonising, but this, too, shall pass.

4 Likes

Pfizer and Moderna both reporting vaccines above 90% effective. Moderna is much easier to distribute.

4 Likes

Yeah, one of them requires extreme cooling - Well, just give that one first to the workers restocking the supermarket fridges! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

US Covid deaths exceed 250,000.

4 Likes

I live in Arizona, hour drive south of Phoenix. I see an increase in traffic and a local store is showing signs of hoarder purchases again, shelves arenā€™t bare, but very low amounts of canned food and pastas , cup oā€™ noodles etc. Other than that, life here is ā€˜normalā€™

3 Likes

There is a crazy mix of responses in the US right now. Arkansas governor wonā€™t issue an official mask mandate but says everyone should wear one. Politicians are terrified of taking charge. Terrified of retaliation. Never seen anything like it.
Locally, the majority of people are wearing masks and using only drive-thru and pick-up services, but that is certainly not the case everywhere.
I had to laugh at what Bill Gates said in a recent interview.
ā€œThe idea that somebodyā€™s resisting wearing a mask, that is such a weird thing to me,ā€ the billionaire Microsoft founder and philanthropist told the actress and comedian Rashida Jones on the first episode of their new podcast series, ā€œBill Gates and Rashida Jones Ask Big Questions,ā€ released Monday.

ā€œWhat are these, like, nudists?ā€ he said. ā€œI mean, you know, we ask you to wear pants, and no American says, or very few Americans say, that thatā€™s, like, some terrible thing.ā€ :smile:

7 Likes

:frowning_face:
My nieceā€™s husband just tested positive. He and the guys he work with have been very careful. Mask and all. But they had to do a job for a guy who refused to wear a maskā€¦now the whole crew is sick. I wish they could sue the guy. His symptons seem to be the same as I had back in Dec-Jan. Extreme fatigue. Bit of a sore throat. Hope he doesnā€™t suffer the same ā€˜brain fogā€™ after affects.

Edit: an aquaintance just tested positive. Her husband and daughter are also sick. Her husband is not doing well. She caught covid likely at a Drs visit. She had to leave her mask off for about an hour. The friend who carried her to the visit is now in quarantine and she also has a family. They both wore masks during the drive.

7 Likes

Oxford University/AstraZeneca Vaccine Passes Stage 3 Trials.

Vaccine is 70% effective as single dose, 90% as double dose. Requires no special storage, and will be supplied on not-for-profit basis.

6 Likes

One whole year laterā€¦I could have told themā€¦

6 Likes

Update on my neiceā€™s husband. Only in their late 20ā€™s but he had a really tough time with Covid. No hospital time but he could not get his lungs to clear. The docs told him to lay on his stomach for 30 minutes, twice a day. He reports that it really works. After a couple of days his lungs started clearing and he is now finally, much better.
While the other young family has begun to recover, another friend of mine has also been infected. She is having the same symptoms my son had. Fever for one day, extreme chills and severe upchuckinā€™. :nauseated_face: But she is better after just a few days.

8 Likes

CNN: First Britons receive Covid-19 vaccine, a landmark moment in the pandemic.

2 Likes

:+1:

I just read an article that confirmed my assumption that I will be among the last to get it (category ā€œunessential, no lung problems, under 60ā€) :pleading_face:
:wink:

3 Likes

Sadly, I have a different situation:

• Over 60
  • Respiratory issues (year-round sinus issues)
  • Likely arteriosclerosis
  • High HA1C (just below pre-diabetic)
  • Low exercise
  • A not-as-good blood type

And to top that all off, my wife was advised yesterday that her ā€œyoga buddyā€ that she has been near twice a week (though distanced during class, yet unmasked) tested positive for COVID-19. SIGH. Sheā€™s now scheduing a test (earliest is a few days from now ā€¦ our area is backlogged!)

While I telework, she has been ā€œout and aboutā€ a great deal, even though masked when possible. During some medical appointments, she has had to be unmasked. Arrgh!

4 Likes

Same group here. Will probably be the end on next summer for meā€¦provided aliens donā€™t invade or a massive volcano doesnā€™t rise from the YellowStone caldera. :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

CNN: Allergy warning for Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine after UK health workers with allergy history suffer reaction.

3 Likes

A new variant mutation of the coronavirus is spreading rapidly throughout Britain. Whilst the new virus is not thought to cause worse symptoms than the original, it is said to be 70% more infectious. Despite tier 3 lockdown, infection numbers are rising at an alarming rate, particularly in London and the South-East.

The news, announced today, has caused the British government to cancel arrangements for easing lockdown over the Christmas period. They have, rather, announced even stricter measures.

4 Likes

No matter what, we are all in for another year of mask-wearing but, hopefully, we will get to wander beyond our sanctuaries.

3 Likes

Since masks mostly are to protect one from spreading the virus and since there are way too many anti-maskers, 2021 could be a dismal year.

1 Like