POLL: The Expansive Age-Range of NMS

@Ospredox, @Skychild - Thing is, those early computers were all we had. We look back on them fondly, because, at the time, we’d never seen anything better.

If you have a PC, emulators for those old machines are freely available - as are most of the games. And if you play them now, you realise just how awful most of them were by modern standards.

They were exciting because they were new, and we didn’t know any better. And now we remember how much fun we had, not how primitive the games actually were.

Honestly, it’s much better now.

13 Likes

I shudder at the though of how many hours of my early childhood I spent trying to beat the first boss on sonic the hedgehog 2. Never did beat that boss myself until a couple years ago I had a nostalgia attack and got a game gear emulator and beat it on my 3rd try.

I should’ve kept them! We had an old pair of game gears (handmedowns basically) with sonic 1 and 2.
Just the game gear is going for $500 on eBay!

Later on we had one of these guys

Meanwhile my parents would let me play on the computer sometimes. Eventually it became my goto gaming platform simply because of the lack of alternatives :joy:. Like literally my ps4 is my first ever non-portable console and I bought it just a couple years ago.

7 Likes

@Ospredox, @Skychild, @Polyphemus
I grew up with Game Boy, Game Gear, SEGA Genesis, then N64. I even went out after the N64 and bought an NES with games, the zap gun, and a couple controllers. Was good fun!

One of my neighbors had the N64 first with Super Mario 64. I remember standing next to his bedroom window, reaching into the house to hold the controller and “help” him through a few bosses. n_n Such a different time.

Then the Gamecube came out. I played tons of Metroid Prime, a few Mario games, and the Sonic Mega Collection. My older brother had a Playstation, which is where I played Driver, Rampage, and a few other classics.
Up until he got a PC, and started playing Halo. I even got a Game Boy Advanced! lol. That just before the DS devices.
Then Wii, PS3 (because we always slacked off on getting Playstation. Always went with Nintendo xD ), and here I am playing most of my games on my PC. A computer I never thought I’d have the privilege to own.

And that was all through me and my siblings purchasing the games and consoles ourselves! (minus the game boy which I got for Christmas one year from my grandparents). My parents weren’t ever against video games, but never really understood them. And they didn’t have much money when I was growing up anyway, so it was always the greatest escape.

I have the emulators for pretty much everything now and controllers for each console via USB. It’s always a wonderful trip down memory lane. And to show my wife all the wonderful classics. Haha.

8 Likes

I actually still have mine! I’ll have to boot it back up and share a photo when I get home! Sonic and Ristar were among the most played for me. I always had to be sat next to an outlet because the 6 (yeah count them! Freaking 6!) AA batteries would die so fast. lol And there were no saves in Sonic!

4 Likes

That would be awesome!

I don’t think I even knew it needed batteries at that age. I just assumed it needed to be plugged in. Oh the memories that are coming back. I remember sneaking it to class in first grade and asking my teacher if I could stay inside next to an outlet during recess and she was like “nope not gonna happen.” :joy::joy:

I think it must’ve been literally imposible for six year old me to beat this boss on a level with no rings (one hit death) on that tiny screen. Yet it’s easily beat in a minute in this video

6 Likes

This whole thread is amazing. :grinning: looks I’m in the median here in my early 30s. Just starting to get the weird pains in my knees. :joy:

9 Likes

Oh, silly me… I actually have it at work! lol. In a box full of other memorabilia to decorate the office with. XD Pic tomorrow then, I guess. haha.

I’ve got about 35 years, give or take of gaming under my belt, I remember the days on my old spectrum where you would have to wait about 5-10 mins for a game to load only for it to crash just as it finished, but watching the picture slowly spear as it loaded was strangely thereputic.

2 Likes

Among some other goodies that survived childhood, we still have these in working order. I remember the challenge was to try & ‘clock’ them; meaning you reached maximum score & it reset to 0. Simple LCD screen & a couple of button batteries. Great way to pass the time on long car trips.

9 Likes

I have many early gaming memories and old consoles I could talk about but I figured, nobodies mentioned the Amstrad yet so I’m gonna just say for a while, we had an Amstrad.

It was the model that took cartridges, allowed you to do some simple line programming and I think we had one game on it. We got our sega megadrive like 3 months later so it was soon forgotten about outside of typing stuff for fun (imagine been absolutely amazed by the fact that what you type would appear on a screen!? )

5 Likes

My personal ‘computer’ history

Just wanted to chime in on my own history with computers and video games. I was born in '73 and look back at a nice history for that matter. My parents divorced at young age, so I grew up with an advantage for that matter, having different systems to play with, as both chose different brands. Although it was my dad who was really into this ‘new’ technology. My mom was usually late and did not care too much about computers, even though my brother and I did.

My first memory would be Pong on a simple console hooked up to the RF on the television. The system was called Superlectron (1976) and had a selection of Pong variants. It is hard to imagine nowadays, how much fun it was to play this.

Superlectron 1976

My%20First%20Pong

Soon after computers and consoles really started to take off. I remember playing with the Atari 2600 (1978) as well as the Philips Videopac G7000 (1978). Loved the simplicity of using cartridges and playing games. The Philips console actually allowed to make some alterations for a variety of games, as well as programming, using the ‘membrane keyboard’. The Atari console had slightly more advanced games and generally looked better too in my opinion. The joysticks were quite stiff compared to the ones that came with the Philips. Every second weekend visiting my dad was a treat, as we often went shopping for new games :slight_smile:

Atari 2600 / Philips G7000 (1978)

Atari2600

Philips%20G7000

The first ‘home computers’ started to appear at around the same time. The first computer I remember was the Atari 8-bit, but mostly recall the 600/800XL (1983). Mostly played games on it using the cassette player to load them. I can still imagine the loud noise they made loading, which often took ages. Sometimes had to adjust the heads when loading failed. Quite annoying but so worth it, once the game had loaded and showed the intro screen.

At first we only had cassettes, floppy drives came later and other peripherals came later. I recall my dad messing with a dial-up modem, but I don’t recall ever having used that myself.

Atari 600/800XL (1983)

Atari_800XL_and_Peripherals

Atari%20830%20modem

The very first game I played was a text adventure with graphics. The game was called Adventureland (1979) which truly intrigued me, even though in English.

Adventureland (1979)

Considering my dad being an Electro Engineer, he was always trying to use computers to do things. He often soldered circuit boards to hook up and looked into the machine language, coding things to for example hook up a musical keyboard to play songs, or to control his large electric train set in the attic. He taught me a lot as I started to soon show interest in coding and more. I probably started to learn my first Basic by the age of 6. Soon enough we started to visit computer clubs to see what others were able to do with their computers. I eventually started making my own josticks together with my dad. Those that came with the Atari were quite stiff and caused cramps after long time playing an intensive game. The joysticks I made were to make things easier. Some may remember the games that were to destroy your joystick, like Winter Olympics or Track & Field where you had to rapidly move your stick.

Other models came out over the next years, even more advanced than the previous ones. Other brands of course, like MSX, which my mom eventually bought for us. Also got to play on the Commodore 64 at friends, which made me jealous considering how popular that brand was. It had a huge amount of games too and load times were not as bad either. The 80s were a great time for me growing up with these wonderful new toys.

MSX v20 (1983) / Commodore 64 (1982)

commodore-64-system

Next to actual computers, we also started to see handheld LCD video games. I remember having played quite a few of them. Who didn’t have one during middle school halfway the 80s. These were fun little gadgets and considerably cheap to get. @Mad-Hatter beat me to it, showing some of those. Was about to post the exact same, as my grandmother had both ‘Green House’ and ‘Donkey Kong II’. I also remember some other brands than (Game & Watch) Nintendo, like Tandy, and many other cheap unknown brands.

Hand-held LCD games

tandy-radio-shack-bandai-hold-up-handheld-game-watch-lcd-vintage-game_02

I have truly fond memories of the 80s when it comes to computers. It introduced me to many many games I loved to play and it also introduced me to coding and learning how to make games. I remember reading computer magazines and some had code written, which you could then type into the computer. Sometimes thousands lines of code to type, hopefully not making any mistakes. I loved it and I learned to understand, allowing me to make changes and even write my own code/games. Mostly text adventures with pixel images at first, but I became more advanced after a couple of years.

MSX Magazine

I also got into video and editing, using the computer to create intros and images in between. My dad got himself a video 8 camera, which I loved using. It could even do still frame-by-frame things and had an advanced menu for effects and options. I remember making Space Lego videos and highlights from sport matches I played, which my dad recorded.

Sony Video 8 Pro (1983)

When we hit the 90s, even my grandmother got into computer games. She already had a couple of hand-held LCD games as mentioned above, but decided to get even cooler toys. First she got herself a Philips CD-i (1991) with some truly cool games. It made use of a CDROM drive, showing some stunning graphics. Two games I remember very well were Myst (1993) and The 7th Guest (1993) for example.

Philips CD-i + games (early 90s)

My grandmother truly loved gaming and my brother and I sure did not mind. Whenever we visited we played games till the early hours, as my grandparents did not mind us staying up late for a change. Not long after she even bought a Commodore 64 WITH floppy drive! Oh my, I considered myself lucky to have grandparents like that.

Of course Personal Computers had started to become a thing too. I personally missed out on those, as both my parents were late getting one. My experience was with friends who had one, like the Tandy TRS 80. I did love messing with PCs though and got into DOS at early age, as well as Power Basic and some other languages I don’t even recall anymore.

Tandy TRS 80 (1977)

Tandy_Model12_System%20TRS80

I started to live on my own in '93 and got my own computers and consoles since, although it took a couple of years. PCs I usually got given by friends because they bought a new. Learned to build the parts together, trying to keep up. At times I rented a console at the local video rental, like Playstation, Sega Megadrive and alike, just to play some games with friends. At some point I bought a PSX and later a Playstation 2, as well as a NES clone, which came with pre-installed games and of course the Duck Hunt gun. Even bought The Legend of Zelda cartridge for it. I never got myself any of the new consoles, once I got into PC gaming.

Consoles I own

PRODPIC-2789-1

The_Legend_of_Zelda_Gold-4

I messed with many other computers as well, mostly at my friends like, MSX 2, ATARI ST, Commodore Amiga, many brands of PC, too many to mention all.

So here we are, 2018 … and wow … how time flies by. I am glad I have been around to personally experience the full history of computers and games. It sure leaves me with fond memories. Because of this I am even planning to buy every single old computer or console I have ever played with. It somehow saddens me to not have any of those, even though I will likely never actually use them again. Anyways, no one can take those memories from me. It has been a wonderful time and I guess explains one of my great passions and hobbies, coding and creating computer things! We’ve sure come a long way, and I am sure I don’t mind getting old trying to keep up …

Edit: I stuck with computer history, but maybe I should have included some other things as well. Like for example Arcade games, Pinball machines and other Coin-op fun stuff … :wink:

19 Likes

@DevilinPixy
What a great history. Thanks for sharing that.

2 Likes

Similar story here. My parents were never into tech but, they did get me an Atrari 2600 and then had to buy a color TV because you can’t play Q-Bert on a b&w. That began my love of computer games. I worked on a C64 in high school, bought one, became a Nintendo fan after that when someone gave me one with Battle of Olympus, which got me hooked on what became RPG’s. Anyone remember Zork? I gradually began to build my gaming empire with the purchase of a used Playstation, Sega Genesis, Sega CD, all the other PS’s. Then when I had my daughter, all the Game Boy’s, Gamecube…well, the list does not stop. And yes, I still have them all. And yes, they still work. Now my son is able to take apart anything that stops working and fix it. True, we have emulators for most everything on PC but, nothing beats the actual hardware in your hands. I will give Nintendo their due by stating that their equipment has held up well over the years. And I love my Switch!
Some of my friends think we are all crazy but, we don’t get much chance to take vacations or cruises like many of them do. Gaming with my kids has always been our time together, away from the hustle and bustle of things that must be done. My kids are not slackers and neither am I. This is just what we do. And we do it together.

9 Likes

Growing up with them has been my luck. And indeed you so much more appreciate the improvements made over the course of time. That’s why No Man’s Sky made my gaming dream come true and for that am forever grateful.

4 Likes

Thanks for that history which brought many memories back :wink: My first one was a ZX 80 my 6 year old son in those days purchased from a friend. It got me interested in how to make games myself. The first one I did was a bunch of moving exclamation marks and a block in the middle as a first racing game trial lol.

3 Likes

i had Donkey Kong as well…just forgot about!! WOW!!!

1 Like

No Man’s Sky running on my original Sinclair ZX 80.

Of course, I cheated. The ZX 80 isn’t powerful enough to run NMS. I had to connect up my old ZX 81 in parallel, too.

18 Likes

How fantastic a post of computer/gaming/growing history, great to read! Being born in 1973 and parents divorcing young (me also), while my personal circumstance wasn’t advantageous from it as such, was certainly no hinderence, either. Can say as well that I have had the same plan going on now for years, of re-buying everything with a view to setting up a full gaming room (very likely to combine with a move to France at the end of the year with my fellow CS, where this plan would be fully executed) with a separate screen for anything that needs one, dedicated seating/lighting complete with individual next-to-seat fridge/kettle and so on (we’re even determined to find a way to build a biodome, believe it or not, though we won’t be growing nipnip in such full view, haha). I have yet to re-obtain the ‘Fire’ game (blue casing, single screen, no colour, how I loved it) and handheld-wise I’d really need to get another gameboy with Tetris as well of course…and another C64. Pong, I also remember playing on a BBC home computer at a friend’s house! A ZX81 and ZX Spectrum I’ll have to find replacements of as well, and an Atari with Joystick. I still have my Dreamcast in wonderful condition (possibly my most beloved console of all time, so far) as well as Gamecube (two actually, though I forget how that happened), a 360, then an Elite, a PSOne, PS3, PS4, PC…and have never owned but I would buy a Wii U just to play Pikmin 3…it’s all going on :grinning:

That’s very cool indeed! Reminds me of having to go all round the houses to connect my PSOne to my PC to grab old Music2000 save files off the memory cards and re-input any midi I thought was worth it into a new DAW … good times :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I’m really enjoying all your stories! :heart:

I fall into the 66-75 category (close to the middle) and got/built my first computer (PC) around 1995, and up until my sight got too bad to build them, I built all my own computers once every year or so for decades. I also had a gameboy. It’s still around here somewhere… But only played one game on it: Pikman, I think it was called. Before that I was a pin ball wizard (the ones with the balls and flappers, and I loved to play pool and “foosball”. I got a bad rep because when I was young girls weren’t supposed to go into those halls to play those kinds of games. I’m glad some of that has changed.

I remember getting heartily motion-sick playing my first real video game on my PC (aside from Chinese checkers and Solitaire): Hovercraft. My gosh! What an awful game. lol

And then during a Web Design course, my neighbour introduced me to a small side-scroller game called Creatures. In that game you raised humanoid furry animals with huge heart-melting eyes from Eggs, and tried to teach them, save them from Grendels, and have them mate with the best mates go get new colours and personalities.

I loved that game! I joined the newsgroup for it, I made art for the modders, made a couple of mods myself, and met my husband there. I bought every iteration, Creatures2, Creatures3, but C2 was my favourite.

Then along came a multiplayer space game called Earth & Beyond, and my whole family played that until it closed. I think there is an emu for that now, but NMS is my go-to single player though I have played the original Star Wars Galaxies for years, WoW for years and now play mostly Guild Wars 2 as my current mmo (3 years in?). There have been others but these are the most memorable at the moment. I’m definitely a PC gamer. But mostly that’s because I like to be able to see what I’m playing. :smile:

I fear that compared to all you console kids (younger and older) my computer history is a bit boring. :slight_smile: :blush:

Thanks again for sharing your stories! :heart:

7 Likes

Let me be the first to say, bullfeathers.

3 Likes