PCG Programming in NMS - Mining Down for Resources

I think the tube features are made from a Perlin noise field, and the caves are made the same way with the material being removed instead. It really is fascinating when you see that this whole universe is created from an exe file that is smaller than the accompanying pdf banner file that came with the download. These are true genius people in my opinion…

3 Likes

All this talk of NPC bases has reminded me…

It’s been an age since I seen a base that had dirt paths leading from it to a cave nearby. Does this still happen? Was it even a thing or just some weird graphical glitch before 1.3 launched? Sometimes manufacturing facilities seemed to synch up perfectly with a nearby cave/mineral system with textured pathways leading to them, gave it an extra sense of feeling lived-in.

2 Likes

Since 1.3, the bases I’ve used have always had a cave entrance nearby. The last two cave entrances Ive had by my base seemed to be on the higher ground behind my base leading down rather than directly down. I would love to spend days digging through the source code to see how it’s all put together…

2 Likes

I mined out two cave-like deposits of emeril near my home base on normal and as soon as I had cleared it out and jumped out of the hole and turned around to check I got it all, this huge skyhole appeared where I had been standing. I wiped the cold sweat from my brow and thanked the Atlas I didn’t wait to jump out. The strange thing is this: that hole never fully healed. The edges got encrusted with emeril again, but the hole into oblivion remains to this day.

That was my original PC save from, I think, pathfinder? Or the one before that. So that may have something to do with it.

Not sure if this info is helpful or not.

2 Likes