Origins/Next Generation (Updates and Patches)

My son plays NMS on Linux with a lower gpu than mine and he gets better performance. Win10 is the devil in code…

3 Likes

Yes ! I too prefer less fine detail. I have the same preference in comics, actually. :slight_smile:

I also am not enamored with the idea of planets littered with vegetation. That seems less SciFi to me. Personal preference.

OTOH, I like the idea of nice but not excessive, texture to plants and animals. That’s a bit contradictory, I know.

3 Likes

Does anyone know if a GTX 1060 with 8GB RAM would handle NMS well? I’m debating the value of upgrading my 4GB GTX 960 for $390. The 1060 card’s specs say it’s VR ready, though I don’t plan on using VR.

My PC is a quad core i7 with 24GB RAM.

2 Likes

I take it, you mean even the weirdly mangled growths on the hazardous planets, which look pretty 1960s sci-fi to me. In most systems there are some defoliated planets, and the more planets in a system, the more variety you can have. My preference is garden worlds myself, particularly for a home. A paradise world rich with life and pretty to look at - which means no eye-gouging pinks or florescent greens. I think sheralmyst was nice enough to toss up coordinates to her world. I’ll have to scour for that if it’s there.

For your system, I don’t know how you define “well,” but with your rig, a 1060 will definitely run it pretty well, depending on settings. Especially if your i7 is hyperthreaded, it should be able to chew through some high settings at 1600x900, maybe a few ultra as well.

I don’t know what country you live in, but here in the States the GTX1060 cards and 2060 cards are going for roughly the same price. So you might see if you can get one of those and get a boost in performance and features both.

2 Likes

Thanks for the card info. The one I’m looking at is a refurbished one, so costs less.

About high vegetation, I was referring to the Next Generation before & after slider view. I prefer the less cluttered landscape of the “before” look.

3 Likes

I thought the 1060s only went up to 6GB?

Like @stryker99 said, in the States there are probably better options. The GTX 1660 6GB card benchmarks show better performance than the 1060 and should be much cheaper. The 1660 generally sells in the lower $200s, and the 1660-Ti in the high $200s. Black Friday deals may also start appearing soon. I grabbed an RTX 2060 6GB early this year for $320. Benchmarks on that are about 15% over the 1660-Ti, and it has additional features. Unfortunately the prices on those are currently spiking.

On a Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB DDR4, and RTX 2060, at 1080p resolution I get a fairly steady 75fps with most settings on high (tessellation & bases on ultra). It generally doesn’t dip below 60 except for brief loading hitches, and while around player bases.

2 Likes

I have a gtx 1060 and less RAM and a worse CPU than you, and it runs NMS fine, be it pancake or VR. (On a 1080p screen… with maybe less than 60 fps… and not exactly on ultra… But hey, it works!). :grinning:

2 Likes

Check out a Saphire Pulse 5700 XT. Its a whole lot of bang for the buck. Only about $10 more than what you were planning to buy but runs almost equivalently to a 2070 Super.

2 Likes

3.10 PATCH NOTES

NEXT GENERATION CONSOLE SUPPORT

• No Man’s Sky is now compatible with PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S.
  • Save games can be transferred from previous console generations to their next generation equivalent.
  • PSVR owners can continue to experience No Man’s Sky in Virtual Reality on PlayStation 5 via the backwards compatibility functionality.
  • PlayStation 5 users can use the Activities feature to track and manage their Journey Milestones.
  • PlayStation 5 users now experience feedback directly through the triggers of their pad.
  • Added support for Tempest 3D AudioTech on PlayStation 5.

VISUAL ENHANCEMENTS

• Rendering quality has been significantly increased for next generation consoles.
  • Base complexity rendering limits have been removed for next generation consoles.
  • For next generation consoles and PCs running on “Ultra” settings, the distance at which detailed grass, plants, rocks and other objects are shown has increased.
  • For next generation consoles and PCs running on “Ultra” settings, the density of terrain details such as foliage, fungi and rocks has been increased.
  • Texture and geometric detail on a large number of objects such as foliage, fungi and rocks has been significantly increased.
  • Improved the visual effect of grass being pushed aside when walking through it.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the water horizon to appear bumpy.
  • Fixed an issue that could occasionally cause grass to fail to render.
  • Fixed an issue that caused butterfly bellies to be unintentionally always white.
  • Fixed an issue that caused planetary lighting to change after opening and closing Photo Mode.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause foliage to disappear when moving the camera in Photo Mode.
  • Refreshed the set of community images on the Mode Select screen.
  • Updated the style of the hazard protection icons on the HUD.
  • Updated the style of the icons displayed by mission notifications and markers.

PERFORMANCE & STABILITY

• Fixed a number of rendering-related crashes on PS4.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause very large saves to fail to load on PC.
  • Optimised terrain generation on Xbox One.
  • Introduced a significant number of performance optimisations for all platforms.

QUALITY OF LIFE

• Improved the feel of space combat. Target locking has been improved, and enemy ships are now more visible with cleaner UI.
  • The camera shake caused by gassy hazardous flora has been reduced.
  • The camera shake when shooting nearby objects has been reduced.
  • Hover text has been added to banner emblems in the Appearance Customiser.
  • On PS4 and Xbox One, when adding a No Man’s Sky friend who is playing on on the same platform, players are now also presented with the option to add them as a PSN or Xbox friend.

MISC BUGFIXES

• Fixed a rare blocker where some players on older saves would be unable to progress in the Atlas Path.
  • Fixed some rare cases where multiplayer sessions could fail to resume correctly after suspending the game on Xbox One.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause a blank Galactic Map when joining a multiplayer game while the host was mid-warp.
  • Fixed an issue where NPC pilots landing on planets could disappear for some players in a multiplayer game.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause players to load into the wrong system when joining a multiplayer game while the host was on the other side of a portal.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent players from redeeming the pre-order bonus if it was installed while the game was running in the background.
  • Improved the alignment of the camera when interacting with damaged containers.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause ships docking in a Space Station to have incorrect collision.
  • Improved the collision of doors on bases, making them easier to walk through.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented base decals from being deletable after placement.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause multiple mission notifications to display simultaneously and overlap.
  • Fixed a rare case where the tutorial notifications would constantly flicker when starting a new game.
  • Fixed a rare issue that could cause inactive missions to progress when using the Multi-Tool Scanner.
  • Fixed a number of incorrect text responses in NPC interactions.
5 Likes

Someone was really paying attention to find that one :grin:

4 Likes

I wonder if maybe the section could be altered to be “Origins / Next Generation” since this is a pretty substantial update with its own name, and very soon after Oranges. I remember those days fondly. :smile:

I also wonder if our friend Clemm might be Canadian, since $390 for a refurbished GTX1060 seems a little high. Still, I’d say since the prices are so similar even in the 20X0 series, keep climbing that ladder as far as you can afford!

Edit: and… SHAZAM! Even as I’m watching! O/NG it is! Democracy in action! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

So when did they add this? When changing Texture quality, we now have recommended specs…helpful. Sorry for the awful pic. I just realized my pc is not online so I used my phone :grin:

Also, I set Texture, Base complexity and Planet Quality to Ultra and the game is actually running smoother? And I am back to getting 50-60 fps…

5 Likes

Huh, tha is helpful, considering I have only 2 Gigs of video memory… :rofl:

1 Like

That new specs display also suggest that an 8GB card is better than a 6GB one if you want Ultra texture quality. It’s sad that card upgrades cost so much. I already spent a couple hundred to upgrade my card prior to the game’s launch. Now another couple hundred (or more)? Grrrr.

2 Likes

Well, I do have 8GB of RAM on my card so I am gonna stay put for the time being. The game is running smoothly, (still a few minor snags here and there) All in all it is working well…not sure what caused all the freezes the other day. Maybe the game just needed to settle down…lol. :smile: (6GB will still set you on High which is what I have been set on…it was really junky for a while…not sure why…at lease now I feel fairly certain it is not really an issue with my pc specs.)

2 Likes

Yeah. I was hoping to be able to use a new card Ultra settings as I choose. My GTX 960 4GB card “works” but sometimes textures on flora and fauna start turning smooth and plastic-looking. :confused:

5 Likes

Apparently, even SM can’t get a PS5…

So I pointed him in the right direction

Seriously, there needs to be way to stop this… :unamused:

3 Likes

Personally, I am waiting for them to work out launch bugs before I invest in a next gen console.

I’ve actually gotten quite used to waiting for entertainment items or enjoying older items I may have missed. Its always a good idea to screen these things before wasting your time and money.

6 Likes

Best way to stop it is by not buying from anyone that is price gouging and just wait. Besides, the first ones to get new tech usually end up with all the bugs. Getting it later results in the best experience.

5 Likes