No Man's Sky Mods / Modding

NomNom has updated to 5.00.2.46-beta.15 :link:

This one fixes the regression from the previous release that the save editing button has become unresponsive.

Notable changes in this release:

• Save Edit button works again

Full changelog here.

3 Likes
5 Likes

NomNom has updated to 5.00.3 :link:

The biggest but invisible change this time is a new updater which will be more relevant later with the use of multiple release channels but it gives you already the advantage of delta updates, which greatly reduces the download size of future updates.

As part of this I’ll dropping the current pre-release suffix to already make room for new ones which will be used in the mentioned release channels. This does NOT mean that it is be more or less stable than before, just a cosmetic/preparation for what’s coming in the somewhat near future.

Beside that, it fixes a couple of bugs.

• New updater with release channels and delta updates
  • Migrated config file from .\portable.config to %LocalAppData%\NomNom\config\settings.json
  • Now signed with self-signed certificate you can install to get rid of Windows security warnings

Full changelog here.

3 Likes

That sounds very stressful for an application that updates its executable every other day. There’s no guarantee that those memory locations will still hold the same data with a new build. They’ll have to chase after Hello Games the entire time.
I guess it worked for dwarf fortress, but Tarn didn’t update quite so frequently…

3 Likes

Thanks for reminding me to see if Adventure mode has arrived to the Steam Version <3

Seems it has but in a beta form… I might just wait. Even if it takes 10 years it is still only a moment in this games history passing by ; )

Is there an emporium of all those classic MS Dos games people used to make and put up on like CNET download (that was like, the download place from my memory, everything was there cos hosting files was expensive?).

I was hooked on this series called Chart Wars in the early 00’s. A lot of em leaned towards management sims or just SCUMM rogue games. There was a few Wrestling Promotion games I remember getting a kick out of. But Dwarf Fortress was always the King.

I don’t really understand modern programming or how compiling etc works, what is it that they are doing differently with this mod? I gather there are some things that only exist in memory because of proc gen and thats what they’re tapping in to? And these things are in constant flux with every engine rewrite? Or am I way off

3 Likes

It was honestly a massive pain until a few days ago since NMS.py was using function offsets to hook / call functions (which as you said, change every executable update).

The newest version allows us to use Function Signatures which are much less likely to change per version (hell, the one I used to get the struct pointers and the one for the gravity update haven’t changed since 4.13!), which should prevent mods from becoming out of date every single update, and be easy enough to regenerate / automate.

There’s two main challenges for NMS.py to become a low maintenance project (mapping all function names available to newer releases and mapping out internal Structs) but Monkeyman’s got some good ideas to overcome these. I’m cautiously hopeful about it, but hopefully some of the demo mods which arise from this can gauge some interest in the community, maybe getting more hands on board or showing what an official modding API could eventually do (if HG ever decide to go down that route).

4 Likes

I think they should use all the profit from the LNF launch to bring all you guys over to guildford, give you a section in Hello Labs and have you guys work on API tools and apps for the modding community :wink:

That’s just me though, I’d probably run a studio into the ground.

3 Likes

Interesting. pretty advanced reverse-engineering stuff, that!

4 Likes

A PDB file included each update (maybe in a separate branch only) would suffice, but I wouldn’t mind roaming HG HQ watching them all work :stuck_out_tongue:
Well, I say watch, but it’d definitely be more of a fangirling session haha

3 Likes

Some more examples of NMS.py in action!

Happy lil coincidence, the game spawned in one of the deep water biomes while I was recording! I didn’t even notice until I got down to ~300u
(Side note, did they update the Nautilon recently, or has it always behaved this fluidly? Maybe it’s just not used to all the open space of this deeper ocean haha)

5 Likes

If you do that, do the planets have any land over the ocean left? I figure the oceans are as deep as they currently are because HG imposes a maximum z-level delta for memory reasons…

5 Likes

Yes, in this particular example where.i set the water level to start at 600u, there was still a considerable amount of land above water with well defined land masses, although fewer “continental” generation as compared to the vanilla water level.

5 Likes

Please add Kevin Costner as an NPC to these worlds. It’s important.

edit:

Ky’Veen Costner*

3 Likes

Saw quite a bit of spin for a moment, and I noticed descend being quite fast, howcome?

4 Likes

My best guess is that HG clamps the movement of the nautilon near surfaces, which are further away in this type of ocean, but I have no idea. I don’t remember it being this fluid to control either.

Edit: I didn’t record it, but speeding up to the water surface from the ocean floor here made the nautilon jump over my ship like a dolphin :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Just like StarShips in relation to atmosphere/surface etc. I guess it must use a similar system since they have the same degrees of movement.

Before Next when the game was just First Person, you used to be able to gain a lot of momentum jetpacking in and out of the water, droping in and using the momentum to arc back up and out, repeating. Eventually you could get pretty high if you didn’t mess up one of the arcs. I used to call it Dolphin Jumping :smiley:

I think everyone remembers how bouncey the Nautilon used to be too.

6 Likes

NomNom has updated to 5.10.1 :link:

This one fixes a few bugs and regressions from the last updates.

• A crash/Button being unresponsive when clicking on Edit
  • Save file shows “GAMEMODE_Invalid” after editing JSON

Full changelog here.

3 Likes

NMSSaveEditor has updated to 1.17.2 :link:

1.17.2 - Update (09 September 2024)

• Updated items and name mappings for NMS 5.11 (Aquarius).
5 Likes

NMSSaveEditor has updated to 1.17.5 :link:

1.17.5 - Update (15 September 2024)

• Added missing name mappings.
  • Fix for WGS / XBox Game Pass save file format.
  • Added Skiff to vehicles section
  • Added Fish items
4 Likes