NMS Waypoint

Yes I can screenshot but I cannot pause the game and window out to post anything here. I ha e to save and quit. Something broke a while back and I can’t figure what.

5 Likes

I did not get it either

4 Likes

Huh… I just realised that you can remove installed tech and transfer it or put it in storage. So I guess the new intended playstyle is more to adjust your loadout to what you’re going to need for what you’re intending to do. I like that idea, just… could we just switch backpacks at an appearance modifier, similar to how we switch multitools and ships? I think I’d prefer that.

9 Likes

Or how about anywhere, anytime we need to? :wink:

3 Likes

Nah, that would defeat the entire purpose. Carrying two backpacks around would seem rather weird.
Maybe we could switch it when sitting in a starship, I could see that working.

As for the new update in general, not quite done evaluating it. Things I like:
While slot number has increased, slot sizes at the harshest settings are actually smaller for many items. That’s good. But they missed the chance to adjust the amount of batteries and life support gels per slot. You can still carry 60 of them in one slot, giving you effectively unlimited field time.

I love the damageable tech, but there seems to be no kind of feedback when a tech breaks, which can be a bit disorienting. My hazard protection got fried swallowing too much toxin in a cave, but I never realised. When I came out of the cave, I was immediately blasted by radiation. Only then did I realise that the darn thing broke. I think some feedback, either visually or auditory, would be in order.

I love being able to turn off the tutorial missions when starting a new game. That was so overdue. I’m not sure about tech vendors not offering blueprints anymore, though. Looks like the only way to get those now is the anomaly? I was hoping they would make more things acquirable without the help of the anomaly, not less.

Finally, it would have been cool had there been an option to enable occasional non-predator attacks. Some of the most dangerous and aggressive animals on earth are not predators, they’re herbivores or potentially omnivores.

9 Likes

Managed to get some time on 4.0.
First Impressions…

Loving the fact you can name your saves (& that it notes your last save location). I called this expedition leftover one ‘UPDATE TESTER’ so it now has a dedicated purpose & protects my Legacy & Pirate saves from post update pRoBl3ms.

All the various graphics tweaks are improvements to me although i found certain lit up misty effects, (mostly on the Anomoly Station), a bit glarey on my set up.
I spent some time playing with the various difficulty settings but eventually left most on standard or challenging, although I did go for the fastest scanner option because that’s always bugged me. Nice upgrade & reminded me of ARK Survival Evolved with all its adjustable settings.

The new optional tech damage is a cool addition but certainly DOES need some sort of alert though, (like maybe a pulsing shield bar or something to let you know something has broken).

I’m a bit confused as to why we need so much storage. I’ve found 10 vaults plus maxed inventory was fine. I’m not entirely sure what we’re supposed to do with all the extra space…unless it’s needed for something yet to come…

Same for the suit. 50 (or so) slots as a good size for me & I can’t really get my head around just how many ‘pockets’ my suit needs beyond that. It’s like the suit has a gone beyond science fantasy atomic storage & now is a pseudo-infinite Santa Clause sack. Might suit others gameplay style though & it doesn’t actually detract from my own game. Just seems a bit over the top.

Quick transfering ‘stuff’ to a vault still goes to the first slot as opposed to stacking so you still need to choose placement if you like organised vaults.
Found when on the Command Ship that I must go right> to move ‘stuff’ to a vault because the shared directional buttons [PS5] reduce the stack size if you go left.

Was a bit annoying to have my suit tech nerfed but I’m sure I’ll be much more annoyed once I get to my ‘good’ games later on :grimacing: .
I found that the new Suit Data Drop Pod thingy was a really quick way to pump up my tech space.
(Bouncing back through previous systems didn’t work because the suit expansion terminals remembered me)
Settled on 2 protection modules for each biome, all the life support I could cram in there, some movement modules, the glove, the personal refiner, 3 underwater upgrades & 3 shield fills it.
This is kind of cool, because you could prep for a particular (dificult) planet mission by swapping out tech, unless of course you’re a stats maniac, in which case this change is probably infuriating.
I’m ok with it though.

My space scanner no longer identifies Tritium sources in space & I’m yet to locate any of the extra valuable asteroids. Might be a bug.

Anyway… those are my impressions in my rather limited amount of time I’ve had.
Lots of tidying up to do, to adapt to the new system & overall I’m liking it.
:+1:t3:

Now if only HG would ad a touch of variety to the 50 quintillion identical lumps of Damaged Technology scattered across the universe

7 Likes

Love having tech only slots. Always hated having to use general for tech, love this change. Not keen on the UI. Add a splitter or allows tab pages for cargo and tech and that would be ace for me. Though might actually be too many slots if honest. just allow larger stacking and 60 slots would have been enough.

Love the expanded containers. That should have always been a thing

lore tracking…just needs some tweaking to give indicators what is missing.

recipes hell yes…love it, needs some better sorting maybe and the ability to load refiner from recipe and some ui tweaks to show names and not scroll so much, but a damn nice addition

save is fantastic…name saves awesome.

Overall very happy with this, clear indications of some rushing so I hope they rethink some of it a bit. Think they should keep the different ships with different capacities, and indicate somewhere the max numbers slots ship can be and how many available.

4 Likes

A bit further in:

No tutorial apparently means no base computer missions. Not a big loss, but I’m not aware of any other way to get the base terminals. Probably an oversight on HGs part.
The one thing I’ll never understand is why the base tech analyser is so bloody limited. Just throw all the base tech in there. Why restrict 80% of it to the anomaly? Some decisions I just don’t get…

Also something I’m noticing, Nexus is empty whenever I drop in (GoG). Might have to check my multiplayer options, but can’t remember having it turned off.

On the positive side: Dug a tunnel to some humming sacks my scanner made out inside the mountain. Some gnarly predator followed me in through like 50 units of self-dug tunnel, entered the cave, and bit me in the ass. Only had the unupgraded boltcaster in the starter multitool, and only standard shield. Shield went down, first hitpoint of three was gone until the thing finally dropped (I got cornered, too…). Life support got broken in the fight, luckily I had the necessary ferrite dust in my pocket to repair it on the spot. Some good moments in the early game, especially without the tutorial missions restricting my actions until I did what they told me.

9 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

6 Likes

fast scanning
no loss of items at death
expanded nutrient processor storage
:ok_hand:

5 Likes

Found some things to do.

2022-10-08 18;14;05

2022-10-08 18;14;34

6 Likes

I think part of the reason is allowing more space for the new ability to “package” items for later use. It may be a way to keep customizing tech and upgrades in use depending on the situation.

5 Likes

Slot upgrades are much better except for the Drop Pods. Using the Exosuit Upgrade Chart to go directly to the location is great but, after I repair it, it shows:

I am maxed out on the lower exosuit’s storage slots. If I wasn’t perhaps it would automatically light up the next available slot.

I do have room in the upper, technical area though. If I manually click on the next available slot there then everything is OK.

Probably “Purchase” is a bit misleading.

8 Likes

I focussed on the tech area first but I still had to manually select the next slot or else it wanted to automatically go to cargo.

7 Likes

9 Likes

Try killing their kids. You don’t need to do it deliberately - just getting too close in your exocraft is enough to see them off. The parents get very annoyed.

9 Likes

Yeah, if you provoke them, animals should either effectively flee or SLAP OUR NOSES. Through the visor if necessary. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: What am I saying, animals? Even migrating mushroom swarms, flower-shaped butterflies, and hopping pineapples rightfully deserve the right to slap our noses!

8 Likes

You are obviously not a compulsive gatherer like I am. I need the services of a Resource Gatherers Anonymous. But more storage works too! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Will the personal refiner no longer go into the regular backpack tab? I use that so much that I keep it there top row. I’m kind of bummed out by the tech storage changes, I have always liked to have any tech that needs resources added frequently to be in the main backpack tab so I can see at a glance what the levels are.
Then again, I suppose I can just turn all that stuff off somewhere now?

Tsk! – Picky! :laughing:

I’m going to hop in myself as soon as I find some spare time. I like your idea of dedicating a named save for exploring the new -bugs- features. A lot of the stuff sounds good so far.

Thanks for reporting back to us!

6 Likes

One neat side effect from the tech packaging is that you can now extract upgrades from crashed ships after repairing them. Makes scrapping in the early game quite effective.

9 Likes

I have not been able to jump in on this update yet but im not sure how I feel about the increased storage. Most seem to love it though. On the one hand, makes the game more chill and easy which I don’t mind. On the other hand, it might be too easy?

I think its cool, yes. But I really feel that with the size of the freighter everyone has, all the storage added should have just gone there so the gigantic freighters makes a bit more sense on what may be inside them. Maybe have a new frigate type that increases storage? Idk. There’s immense real estate there. and an upgrade to your suit could have been added to just teleport ALL non-essential goods to your freighter and back(if requested).

Maybe i’ll feel different after playing it myself. Need to recover from being sick still.

7 Likes