Expedition 9 Utopia

5 Likes

Countdown Timer :link: as usual on JSFiddle

Have fun everyone :partying_face:

9 Likes

Thanks. Unfortunately, this is dropping just as have arrived at work…it’s going to be a long day :frowning:

7 Likes

Word of caution! Choose carefully where to place your base computer. If you delete it…well you might as well start over. You do not recover building materials

9 Likes

I laughed! It reminds me of so many sci-fi stories. Sounds safe, even beneficial. All for the greater good, right? Can’t wait to see where this goes.

and why does the Communal Habitation Project think it is wise to force me to scale a volcano?

7 Likes

Some interesting lore towards the end, which seems to be hinting to what we have been eager to see more from.

Abandoned Terminal Lore - Images (Spoilers?)

This then concludes in the Abandoned Space Station, after getting the following:

7 Likes

I do like the cute pink-capped “shrooms” on the starter planet. And a nearby crash site. Just had to get in before exiting and going back to teleworking (sigh).

5 Likes

4 Likes

Do we have to go down into the volcano to complete the mission? I’ve driven the nomad up to one of peaks and gotten out - didn’t work. I drove back down to the bottom and used the jetpacks to go back up - didn’t work.

7 Likes

Unfortunately, you have to stand on the central lava lake. If you’re quick, it’s possible to survive with just your starter protection, but you take a lot of damage. And you’re still taking damage (though not as much) as you climb back down.

3 Likes

I managed to make it trigger by jumping across the lava. I had to do it a number of times but it finally worked.

Started the Expedition on Switch. Not sure why, but the Switch version of NMS just seems easier.

3 Likes
  • Fixed a number of issues that could cause volcanoes to block access to mission critical buildings.
  • Fixed a number of issues that could cause players to become stuck inside volcanoes.

right … lol

6 Likes

Does there seem to be a lot of collision in this update? I find myself standing above harvestable plants and unable to scan anything if another object is close by.

3 Likes

But not for long.

6 Likes

Not quite sure, but came across some similar reports. For example not being able to interact with the Galactic Trade terminal after building your own. Might need some reports to get noticed.

4 Likes

Always room to park.

6 Likes

I found a spot that was down near the lava but not in it and hopped down and back out. I took some damage but lived through it. I didn’t have any heat shields at that time. A friend of mine tried jumping across and failed (not enough jetpack). He got the award but had a bit of a challenge getting back to the grave. I don’t remember any storms on that planet but they could help with the jetpack lifetime.

5 Likes

You use to be able to get into and back out of a volcano on the back of some creatures. The first time I went in I made the mistake of dismounting and you can’t go out on your own. Luckily a creature that was large enough to ride came close enough that I could entice it with a pellet and ride it back out.

6 Likes

Had an easy run.
Spawned near a Minor Settlement, did the various requirements & moved on.
Sentinel planet was ok, I just ran away if any looked at me.
Steep festering planet was dealt with by burrowing through to opposite side & using tunnel as refuge. I think those monstrosities counted towards the milestone further on because that one was done very quickly.
I learned to check I had tons of chromatic metal & pure ferrite & also suit fixy goods.
For all but the first base, I just built a row of flags to get my 15 items (then deleted them afterwards).
Used my first base to build everything so ultimately I had 1 proper base & a few scattered Base Computers.
Volcano was just a matter of jetpacking from one peak to the next & it was done.
All done in about 5 hours I think.

7 Likes

6 Likes