NMS Origins

Aren’t Sentinels (& their mother ships) mostly orange…not black?
Weird! :thinking:
Can you get a screenshot?

Could just be the ‘black ship’ glitch that often pops up. I haven’t witnessed it since Origins…although my playtime has been severely limited recently.

The ending-up-inside-the-freighter-hull is a bug that sometimes occurs around freighters during combat, although usually its pirate starships that get stuck inside, not us.

3 Likes

Like this one from @Flora_Marsky
Screenshots 🖼 - #103 by Flora_Marsky

2 Likes

Yes, that’s essentially the same mothership. The fighters look different, but it seems like I saw another kind of Sentinel fighter early in my encounters. Or maybe it was a glitched System Security fighter that didn’t officially see the light of day. I think I posted this before. Notice the blue thrust trails.

It was labeled EXperimental fighter, so maybe it was something they were toying with. And YES I posted this before! I remember now asking for the Team to put these in the game so I could have one.

Anyhow, one of two things happened to me, which is entirely possible seeing as this is still a slightly buggy game, and my Windoze is getting senile.

• It was a pirate encounter that glitched into a Sentinel interception routine.
  • It’s something new, seeing as a number of people have asked for a Bad Guy and/or Bad Group to deal with. And there is something in the Lore that I’m going to be playing with in my little tale.

So if my encounter is unique, it’s likely a glitch. It does seem a lot like a Sentinel glitch. Though it would be super cool if Team Mercury would play with something like this down the road, and give us some super Pirates or… something much more conspiratorious. Or maybe this is something new. Here are some screenies.

5 Likes

Wait one second…

…I have never seen that ship in-game or online before except in E3 trailers. To be clear, this was found recently, in-game, with no mods? Correct?

4 Likes

Mods have used the model for a long time, but I have never seen it appear in an unmodded game…

5 Likes

Well, that’s very interesting! The only mods I have running are the ORIGIN logo starting screen, a tool upgrade and ScanNow, a quick scanner. So this cooouuld be a glitch, but I hope not.

Team Mercury: if this was a glitch, PLEASE make it a real thing! If it’s not, carry on with your work on this! It was deadly, but really cool.

A number of us, maybe most of us, want a LOT more substance in this reality you made. I can see that in a universe facing periodic Resets, the Three Races would have lost a lot of drive to further civilization, as I’m pondering in my story. But two groups would be motivated to take advantage of it, and those are crooks and pirates. Collecting into gangs, groups and even Pirate Fleets makes a lot of sense. Many of us are looking for a singular Bad Guy or group of Bad Guys, and this fight I went through is very much like what I would expect to see once in a while. A singular Traveler with a wicked upgraded Fighter blasting their ships to scrap would be a problem. Even stopping their reign of terror here and there would be a problem, one they would want to eliminate.

Sean-sensei, I know you have a fledgling team, and it’s a lot of work to give us these marvelous updates, but put a little more meat on this ever growing skeleton. This would be some nice meat.

One thing I forgot to mention is that in the course of the fight, two of the remaining ships in the fifth wave called it quits and fled the dogfight. I chased after them but even with boost on I couldn’t catch them. I’d expect to see this behavior from pirates.

I’m going to have some new food for thought in my story. :smile:

4 Likes

In an interview a long time ago in a studio far, far away (from me), Sean said that No Man’s Sky would not have a boss figure. It also would not have a storyline, but rather background lore.

He did allude to an “evil force,” which many took to be Sentinels, but …

Of course, he also said it would not be multiplayer but only have multiplayer type “aspects.”

My personal hope is that the original "no boss"vision continues. If something like that is added, I pray that it’s only in a new mode.

Personally, I’m with Han!

2 Likes

I used one of the images from the dogfight in the chapter I just posted, since I took so MANY screengrabs it was hard to find a dogfight. Notice what it says in the lower right.

Pirate attack ships remaining: 2

And after I dispatched that Shuttle looking guy, the rest of the fighters were the black and orange delta-bodied ships. I also notice up at the top that it says,

DEPLOYING COMBAT FRIGATE: Champion

So I’m hesitantly thrilled. If this is a serious new class of encounter, I’m super happy. I’ll be dumping every ingredient into my story I can wrap my head around, so it’ll be interesting to see what the class thinks of my mad ravings. :sweat_smile:

And if anyone has a suggestion for a scene or something they want explored, give me a PM and you’ll get full credit.

3 Likes

When I’m fighting pirates, my frigates send help and it show up as a black and orange ship. Most of the time it’s a nuisance since I have to remember to avoid shooting them.

5 Likes

It isn’t, actually. You probably realised that the champion is your frigate. The orange delta-winged flyers are the combat drones with which it engages, since frigates do not directly interact with anything.

This happens every time you are attacked and a combat frigate of yours is present in the system.

3 Likes

I don’t think so. After I shot down a Shuttle, there were nothing but delta wings in the area, and the display counted them as pirates. I’ve never seen that frigate before, except one that looks somewhat like that, and it was a Sentinel vessel. This is either something new, or a glitch. And like I said, even if it is a glitch, I seriously want Team Mercury to make something of this within our adopted alternate reality.

4 Likes

So… you don’t have a frigate named “champion”? Hmmm… might be either the sentinels have inserted another level of escalation (though they shouldn’t be attacking you for shooting down a pirate), or somebody was testing some code for “pirate interventions” and forgot to toggle it out of the build. An exciting thought indeed…

5 Likes

No, there’s definitely something going on here. I came across this image late of all the Frigate types, and they always look like this as we collect them.

That image I shared above is of a Freighter, or in the case of a Sentinel vessel I think it’s called a Capital Ship or a Carrier. And my Freighter is a classy Star Destroyer wedge type. Here is a family photo.

All the ships were classified as Pirates, and all had the red trails of bad guys. It was a cracking good encounter though, so I hope Team Mercury is aware of my little party or is responsible for it. Please be responsible for MORE! :smile:

3 Likes

3 Likes

Then I guess I did have an interesting glitch that crossed wires between a Pirate encounter and Sentinel assets and code.

So Mercury guys n gals, my request is in. I hope you take up the challenge. :wink:

3 Likes

Polygon: No Man’s Sky’s volcano worlds are now hot real estate.

6 Likes

:business_suit_levitating:
Inspired by @Argh, driven by others, and raised over DAYS…

@OldGods, been fostering your masterchild since early :tangerine:.

2 Likes

For any who might be interested. Ray Reynolds creations are up for bidding in ebay. This is a limited time event. Proceeds help him out in his final months.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/No-Man-s-Sky-Framed-A3-Print-Little-Book-Of-Big-Adventures/193713109419?ul_ref=https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575378759&campid=5338273189&customid=&icep_item=193713109419&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&toolid=11111&srcrot=710-53481-19255-0&rvr_id=2647685345585&rvr_ts=3b1aa2471750a9b13f00e0dafede93d0&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1&ul_noapp=true&pageci=0a6d275c-b422-4b90-8eb3-e25a35cd9046

9 Likes

Damn, I hadn’t realised that his diagnosis was terminal. All this time I though he was still on the edge.

2 Likes

Fun thing that happened yesterday: Happened uppon a crashed ship, the pilot lamenting about being robbed by pirates, offering me to share some of his leftover stash with me if I went after them. The interesting thing is, when I accepted, the target was generated inside the planets atmosphere. I can’t remember when I had a dogfight inside an atmosphere for the last time…

12 Likes