NMS Expeditions

I’ve seen the %NAME%" error several releases ago, so it may hold no particular clue.

It for sure is an indication of a “missing link” :wink:

3 Likes

I think the %NAME% designation is probably an identifier generated by the error trapping routine. What should go in this space is the name of the derelict freighter the module came from - but that’s not available, hence the error.

What is significant for me in this is that in order to flag an error in a module that doesn’t have the %NAME% data, the loading routine must expect to find %NAME% data in all modules.

And I’m not saying this is the first time HG have tracked the origin of items. For all I know, they’ve been doing it from day one (although prior to multiplayer, what would be the point?).

What I’m suggesting is that this is the first time we’ve had concrete evidence of their ability to track items. I didn’t know they were doing this, and now I do. And I wonder why.

3 Likes

It’s probably a format string parameter. %…% is a typical way to identify variables in a string literal. I wouldn’t be surprised to find the description of the item, exactly as it is written there with %NAME%, in one of the xml files. Some parser in the code is responsible for checking all strings running through it for %…%, extract the name in between, hand it of to something that resolves the variable and returns the string it’s to be replaced with, the parser replaces the occurrence with that string, and passes the entire thing back.
This would likely handle the error when the thing resolves, and just leave the original in there. Only in this case, this absence also seems to lead to an issue when trying to convert it into the actually placeable tech. I don’t know, is the origin still listed in those technlogies when you build them in the freighter? I can’t remember…

4 Likes

In the third (I think) system I entered during Expedition, I got a freighter. Upon reloading I suddenly couldn’t run to the bridge any more, flying out with my ship and calling the freighter a bit further away fixed the issue. In the place where my freighter was before, was another freighter. So I think my freighter was hidden in an exact copy or something. It’s possibly similar with derelict freighters.

4 Likes

This just released in 3xperimental

2 Likes

It looks like a “simple” coding error that is failing to display a value.

2 Likes

Yes, but it’s failing to display it because there’s missing data. What else gets screwed up by that data missing is anyone’s guess, but since all of these modules can’t be installed on the freighter, and all the other ones can, that’s certainly the first place I would go looking for the issue.

2 Likes

Frigate Fuel

In my previous games, I was able to make frigate fuel in quantities of 50, 100, and 200 tonnes. So far, in Expeditions, I am only able to make 50 tonne batches - which is very wasteful of storage space.

I’ve tried all the obvious places, but I can’t find the recipes/blueprints for the larger quantities. Does anyone know where to get them?

4 Likes

Indeed, I noticed that too! Didn’t bother me that much since my fleet is very lean, only geared towards reaching the milestone, and therefore didn’t consume much fuel, but for larger fleets I can definitely see how this would get annoying.
I haven’t checked, is it possible you can get them through manufacturing facilities? They’re not in the freighter research tree, which would kinda have been the most logical place to put them…

4 Likes

I’ve tried (and failed) at:

Manufacturing Cetres/ Operations Centres (exhausted their menus)
Space Anomaly vendors and dispensing machine
Space Station vendors and trade terminals
Upgrade centre on my freighter
Planetary trading posts (all 3 types)

I got the 50 tonne recipe from my freighter upgrade centre - but they don’t have any more.

I’ve pretty much run out of ideas.

5 Likes

I got those recipes in Expeditions by interacting with a frigate control room with no mission active in the console. If that doesnt work maybe deleting the control rooms, interacting with the mission giver and rebuilding might trigger the blueprints.

5 Likes

I have 50 and 100 and I believe it was on the bridge of my freighter(command room, my bad) as @dersvr stated

3 Likes

When you build the first frigate control room, activate the terminal. It will say something along the lines that you don’t know the tech that you need, and it will give it to you.

6 Likes

Many thanks to all who answered, @jedidia , @dersvr , @GullyFourmyle , @sheralmyst.

I’ll try your solutions tomorrow (going to bed now).

Nobody does counter-intuitive quite like Hello Games! :grinning: :smile:

3 Likes

When I get stuck in this game I am never sure if I am missing something obvious, or maybe it is random and I’ll get it eventually, or of they put it in some place I would never look or maybe they just thought of the problem a different way (and they do). Maybe I need to put soap bubbles in the multi-tool and shoot a Vy’keen? (Who knows, that could be a thing :slight_smile: )

7 Likes

Frigate Fuel - Update

Well, I tried the suggested solutions, but they didn’t work. I’m still stuck with only 50 tonne batches of fuel.

I tried an unused fleet management terminal - nothing.
I tried building a new fleet management terminal - nothing
I tried deleting all my fleet management terminal, and re-installing them - nothing.

The only fuel option in my freighter bridge terminal is for 50 tonnes.

So it looks like I’m stuck.

4 Likes

I had trouble with this since the introduction of frigates. No amount of interacting with the fleet control rooms nor anything on the bridge would jog it.

I had another player give me a 200 tonne fuel and it jogged all of the recipes (including the 50 in this case.) This was done during that update. So, there is no telling if it would work that way again. However without another path, I’m sure its worth a try.

5 Likes

The best part about completing Expeditions, I got to hear my favorite piece of NMS music.

4 Likes

When you removed them did you try interacting with the navigator before rebuilding?

3 Likes

I removed them several times. On two occassions I spoke to the navigator, but other times I didn’t. It didn’t seem to make any difference.

4 Likes