NMS Expeditions

Since they were introduced. Exocraft haven’t provided protection from attack - they’ve never stopped snappy poison or sentinel bullets - but now I’m finding my Pilgrim doesn’t protect me from the environment, either.

Riding round on a cold world, I froze to death. The vehicle still had fuel - it just didn’t stop the cold.

Is this a new “feature”, or a bug? What kind of space exploration vehicle doesn’t have a heater?

5 Likes

The exo mech update added modules for that :neutral_face:

4 Likes

Thank you. Shows how long it’s been since I used an exocraft.

Dumb idea, though. Exocraft used to be fast and fun - so HG looked for ways to make them slow, grindy, and boring.

5 Likes

For anybody after the Abyssal Treasure achievement.

It’s the number of conversations at different underwater ruins that matters, not the number of chests you attempt to dig up, until the last one.
Took me a few (3?) planets & a handful of Living Pearls & an Abyssal Horror’s Eyeball.
Edit: I mention this because I began to do reloads to try each of the 3 buried chests, due to receiving only 1 Trident key per conversation. This is different to how landbased ruins work where it’s 3 keys to the 1 chest.
Also,
Don’t bother upgrading things to ‘S’ class modules because that’s often part of the rewards you recieve. This mission included.

3 Likes

What am I doing wrong…?

So purchasing a freighter …i need to grind out millions, the only freighters at space stations ive found so far cost about 20million…really this early in the game?

(Edit. Ok zo the 3rd freighter i saved from pirates finally gave me the option to Inspect and accept for free) definitely a bug/glitch, i really couldnt believe it would be that difficult)

4 Likes

Actually, a horrifying treasure that I found during my derelict freighter run completed this badge for me. I had grown tired of hunting for the submerged ruins and moved over to that…and I am glad I did.

2 Likes

I hope that is not a feature of the “Turns into a Normal Mode Save” function of the expedition save.

I just completed the expedition this morning and then loaded up my Legacy Day-1 save (PS4) to check out some of carry over rewards and a spot of exploring before work. I’ll let you know if the same thing happens to me.

4 Likes

Thank you.

3 Likes

So… how are you guys going about raising that explorers guild standing? There’s so few guild missions now, I only got one so far that I could actually do at my level, most of them demand level 6. And yes, I do look at every space station I arrive at. Have they built in a catch-22 here, or is there another way to improve guild standing? I know how to improve race standing without missions, but not guilds.

2 Likes

I have left both Explorer Guild Missions & Locating Undiscovered Systems to be my last things to do.
I bounce from system to system doing any (quick) missions, before moving on. All mission increases in standing help open other missions.
Often it’s only 1 or 2 per system (& it often forces me to relocate to another system to complete) so I’m not fully exploring each location. :frowning_face:
If it’s extra nice I stay for a bit otherwise it’s a very businesslike attitude.
I stockpiled stuff along the way in my freighter vaults too so a mission to get 250 Pyrite (or whatever) is a quick inventory shuffle & completed. If I can’t do it immediately & the mission isn’t location based, I leave it in my log & hope to sort it in the next few systems.
I’ve found piling up ‘Culling’ type missions & completing them all together on heavily occupied worlds a great way to achieve results. Basically pick the biggest cull number out of the log & do it… & all the other ones get completed too effectivelycompleting several missions at once…at least on PS4.

8 Likes

As @Mad-Hatter said, you can easily stack multiple missions of the same type and complete them all at once. If you had not yet focused on doing these early, you can use a teleporter Space Station list to visit each and basically select any “cull animals”, “kill sentinels”, and “feed animals” missions. The “scan fauna/flora/minerals” are likely more work, but still worth it. It is a bit of a grind, but should not be too bad doing it this way.

4 Likes

I’ve had a couple of ‘dud’ Scan Mineral missions too, where I simply cannot find the final rock & after 20 minutes, have been forced to abandon the mission.

I recently located a planet with lots of aggressive predators so I’ve established a tiny ‘hunting cabin’ base there.
I can easily do a ‘Culling’ type collection of missions & not feel so guilty about killing tons of critters.
Proceeds get turned into butcher type food products so I see it as opportunistic food collection :grin:
Even though its just a game, there still just seems to be something a bit cowardly & sadistic about randomly & repeatedly blowing up herds of dopey innocent herbivores. :sleepy:

5 Likes

I’m well aware of that. My problem is that I can’t find missions that give me explorers guild standing. There’s only one guild mission per space station now, and while I happen over an explorers guild mission every once in a while, most of them require a high standing already to even accept them, so all I’ve managed to do is complete one mission for them in like 3 hours of play. So I was wondering if there’s another trick to it…

3 Likes

There should be one explorer’s guild mission in the top 4 choices that should be attainable. Once you complete it, another will appear. I just grab them as I move from system to system and do as @Mad-Hatter and @DevilinPixy suggest and stack them.

3 Likes

I found out a neat trick the other day, although I doubt it to be intended. I was looking for a way to build a Save Point, so I pinned it in the Catalogue > Constructed Technology, then checked Build Mode and voilà, it was there :wink: If it goes missing again, just repeat the pinning steps. I believe this works with other objects as well. Use at your own risk.

3 Likes

Rocket Man

I got the Rocket Man achievement by getting caught in an extreme wind event on an extreme planet. A couple of hints:

1. Once you are airborne, your hazard protection drains really fast. It’s like being adrift in space. You need to keep topping up protection very frequently - so make sure you have the materials.

2. Your jet pack does not recharge when you’re in the air - and the wind can lift you hundreds of feet into the air - you’re going to need your jet pack to land alive.

However tempting it may be, don’t try to steer yourself with your jet pack. It doesn’t work, and it drains fast. Just let the wind blow you where it wants to, and save your jet pack for landing when it drops you.

Have fun. :grinning:

8 Likes

I got that one the same way. Originally I tried on a dead planet and was in the air for 45 seconds and couldnt get it. The timer would start to go in reverse randomly :slight_smile: I just completed my final challenge this morning and got the golden vector. Cool ship, I was worried it would grow those storage things after upgrading the slots but it doesnt. Cant post images as my laptop died :frowning:

4 Likes

Uhm, no? Since the update, there is always one single guild mission per mission board. I have never seen a mission board with more than one guild mission on it since the update. It may or may not be an explorers guild mission, and what guild it’s for is independent from what guild envoy is on the station (so you can’t come back to the same station and expect there to be another explorers guild mission, as I first thought I could). All other missions on the board only give faction standing, not guild standing.

The required guild level for the guild mission seems to be level 6 most of the time, sometimes lower, but level 1 missions seem to be extremely rare, making it very difficult to start leveling your guild standing. Don’t tell me I’m the first one that noticed this? I know it was easy before the update, but now it’s annoyingly difficult.

3 Likes

I have seen many reports of players jumping their frigate to get the achievement, pretty radical if you ask me. Why not just … ahum, cough, … sit in a chair :rofl:

4 Likes

For rocketman, just go looking for one of those craggy planets introduced by origins. You’ll find a peak high enough even with a not too beefed out jetpack.

There’s a miasmatic planet in the system I started in with such topography where I did it. If you come by, make sure to visit rock bottom. The base itself isnt much to look at, but it’s located in a chasm at the bottom of a valey at the bottom of a valey surrounded by peaks. When it’s rainy and foggy, it feels more claustrophobic than any ocean trench I’ve seen so far in NMS (Still looking for a water planet that is mostly submerged with such a topography, that would finally feel deep. The vertical distance from the valley bottom to the surrounding peaks is somewhere around 400 to 500 units…).

8 Likes