NEXT Patch notes - Steam Experimental [POTENTIAL SPOILERS!]

So, just gave it a go, and yes, seems to look a bit washed out.
Definitely smoother, though. Picked a fight with a few sentinels, since combat is always what brings my framerate down the most, and went pretty good. My aim still sucks, but now I might not have an excuse anymore.
Also, ended up having a submersed fight with a Sentinel Walker on a radioactive planet. Had no idea they would just stalk right after you into the depths. Was pretty fun, actually :smile:

5 Likes

Oops. I was not having crashes. Started a new game anyway. My graphics are not so much washed out as they are super shiny. This is most likely due to HDR I think and not so much Vulcan…? It only happens for me on certain things. Anyway, I regained a few lost building pieces.
I do seem to be having a few minor issues with my XBox controller though. Buttons seem a bit sluggish sometimes.
I don’t recall seeing this fade in the rings before (which is very nice) but maybe it is just this planet.

Frame rate is better still in a new save. The lowest I dropped to was 45fps in the busy Space Station. Also, the clouds are looking much better for me.
I am having a few minor issues with my XBox controller. The buttons are sometimes a bit sluggish.

3 Likes

NVIDIA, like most “big” companies think the bigger the file the more impressed users are.

2 Likes

Well, but to be fair, this driver does abit more than the usual… Doing that core workload management thingy that it does?

1 Like

Likely includes more than just the bare necessities for a single driver, like GeForce Experience often being added.

2 Likes

I had no idea that they would fight aquatically either. I will have to check this out myself. Thank you for the heads up!

2 Likes

Issues I have found in 3xperimental.
Vignette, fog and cloud density all set to 100% and not adjustable.
Pictures I take are cropped. So what I see around the edges when I take the pic is missing when I open it later.

UPDATE: Traveled through a portal and bought a Freighter. Tried to leave a comms message but was unable to do so. The dialog box flashes up and then vanishes and I get this message.

4 Likes

Does anyone else in 3xperimental get the impression that the game looks and feels ‘cleaner’…like the air after a rain…:grinning:
Running around in NMS seems to feel more ‘cinematic’ more HD. Maybe it is just me. ?

2 Likes

New experimental update
https://steamdb.info/app/275850/depots/

Edit: updated notes for those interested

Update: 29/04

We have updated the experimental branch build:

Falling back to CPU memory is now handled better on low-VRAM cards, this may fix some stuttering issues.

Reports of old or failing drivers have been made clearer.

Game now prefers GPUs with up-to-date drivers when making first-boot GPU selection.

Fixed a crash caused by certain very old drivers still being present on system even if not used.

Fixed HDR support not being detected on beta NVIDIA drivers.

Fixed certain effects being brighter than intended.

Fixed a banding issue in brightly-coloured skies.

Fixed an issue that caused text entry boxes to only show for one frame so you could not rename things.

Fixed an issue that could cause poor performance on the controls screen.

9 Likes

Goodie! The text entry problem also plagued the comms. Hopefully they are also fixed.

3 Likes

The latest update has got Vulkan working for me.

TBH, I can’t see any obvious difference - but my graphics were pretty good to start with.

(edit)

I raised a Zendesk report for the previous problem. Is there any simple way to contact them and tell them it’s fixed? I don’t want to raise another support ticket if I can avoid it.

2 Likes

I guess they will know it is working when it is not reported as a bug…? IDK :laughing:
Will d/l when I get home, maybe. Daughter has been sick all last week. Though it was flu but it is pneumonia. Watching an IV drip right now.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear about your daughter. I’m sure she’ll be OK. Pneumonia is unpleasant, but it’s not usually life-threatening unless you’re old or immune-compromised.

Where I grew up, back in the 1950s and 1960s, most people under 50 wouldn’t have dreamed of going to hospital because of pneumonia. Many of them wouldn’t even see a doctor. They’d just take things easy for a couple of weeks. Oh, and cough and spit a lot of phlegm. Northern industrial attitudes. They were tough. But lots of them didn’t live long enough to retire.

1 Like

Well,this is cryptic…or poetic :smile: Game of Thrones?

2 Likes

It is indeed.

3 Likes

I imagine that he is lamenting the artifacts that show up in the night skies from images that have been compressed. You see banding, blocks and ‘mosquitoes.’ I haven’t experienced it personally yet but I imagine that HDR will accentuate the artifacts in the dark areas since it is trying to expand color range in the area where many compression algorithms like to save bits.

3 Likes

Ahhh, yes. I know what you are referring to. It is quite a distraction in an otherwise beautiful scene. I have seen the banding.

2 Likes

Dragons confirmed.

6 Likes

Will they help in finding Emily?
Will we be able to ride them?

I think it is :popcorn: time

5 Likes

I can see @zsigmond now , flying overhead on his dragon and singing
Dragonborn, Dragonborn
By your honor you’re sworn
To find Emily
and bring her to me