NEXT Patch notes - Steam Experimental [POTENTIAL SPOILERS!]

If you are using GOG Galaxy Client do not press Shift+Tab. It disables the keyboard input and you will have to force the game to close.

EDIT: Reported @ zendesk

1 Like

Better report that, :upside_down_face:
Not sure I can take much more. The trees and bushes are fading in and out and I can see “limbs and twigs” popping out of them…areas on the ground fade away then fill in…I feel sea sick. :laughing:

1 Like

it is EMILY messing with ATLAS.
Better get off the planet!!!

3 Likes

I never tried the 3xperimental builds before but I thought I’d give this one a go. Ran smoothly on the storm crystal harvesting planet I had set base on. Stuttered a bit but kept high fifty to 60 fps for the most part and felt smoother overall. Sadly when I tried warping to another base It froze upon loading the base. Had to hard reset. Was unplayable so I’m glad I backed up my saves. Now back on the earlier stable build. I did update my Nvidia drivers before playing and was generally happy with the gameplay until the crash. I would have kept the experimental build on but I have a 4 yr old grandson who likes to play “the spaceship game” and he’d have a fit if it kept crashing with him. lol

3 Likes

Framerate improvement is nice but the HDR they have added is not. I do not have an HDR monitor. It is not turned on in the TKGRAPHICS and yet it looks like it is on and the result is not nice. The small patch from today did not change it or the issue with photo mode which is useless right now because everything is messed up graphically. :weary:

Wait, we have the experimental on GoG? How do I pull that?

For NMS Beta on GOG Galaxy, see instructions here:

1 Like

Huh, this is weird… The Nvidia page doesn’t offer drivers for the GTX series at all anymore, and when I go looking for the newest drivers in other places, they say the newest version is from march 2019… So my faith that the drivers offered on those sites are genuine is rather small.

1 Like

Seems very odd. I just had a look, but I can just select several GTX series without issues, with drivers mostly from April 11th.

That’s the list I was at. Can’t find the GTX series anywhere…

What GTX do you have? If you click on the ‘Product Series’ dropdown, you get a long list to select from. Then after selecting the main series, you then further specify product and OS.

Product Series

Product

Once you made your selections and specified, you click search and you get to the download page for the driver.

Edit: Added some images, to show the 900 series as an example

1 Like

A video showing comparison screenshots between OpenGL and Vulkan. Vulkan looks good, but seems a bit too washed out in certain circumstances. Not sure if this is the HDR implementation or actually Vulkan, but I am sure HG will flesh it out some more.

4 Likes

Unable to launch the game with experimental build installed.

It gets as far as the Steam loading screen, then CTD.

I have the latest GTX 1080 drivers installed. Checked Steam game file integrity.

I’ve now reverted to the non-experimental version.

Reported on Steam and Zendesk.

1 Like

Yeah, I am not really liking the affect so far. I am having so many issues I can’t stand to look at the game right now. The framerate increase has been the only positive so far. I fear they have a lot of tweaking to do.

lol, for the game itself is my concern. Just the thought of a ?4th rewrite?

1 Like

On my GeForce GTX 770 runs smoother, without artifacts or weird coloring at all… But it crashes, it crashes for everything, photomode, warping, character customization… FPS on complex bases was never this good, also!

2 Likes

For GOG users to play the experimental:

First!!! Back up your save files! Second, I suggest turning off Auto Update when trying betas. You can revert back to a previous build if you don’t like the beta.

In the GOG Galaxy Client go to your game NMS.
Click on the “More” button and select “Settings”
Turn on “Beta Channels”
Click the Channel drop down and type - 3xperimental
Then select the “experimental beta” channel.
It will begin to update your game to 1.77_Vulkan_18.04

Just be aware so far I have encountered and reported the following:

1. Using “Shift+Tab” in game is broken and will disable your keyboard commands in game. You will have to force the game to shutdown.
  2. The game crashed for me when I attempted to use the Freighter Warp Map.
2 Likes

Has anyone started a new Experimental game to see if crashes may be save game related… like last time? Took a while to sort that out.

4 Likes

Good idea. I will try that.

Ok, I’m stupid. I was looking for “GTX series”, while apparently it’s the number that’s the series, not the letters. They should really have names it “960M GTX” instead of “GTX 960M”…

Also, half a gig? Have drivers gotten this big?

2 Likes