NEXT Massively Nerfed Alien Multitools

Here is what I’m talking about, at the 10:29 timestamp, the difference between a pre-NEXT and NEXT Alien multitools is showcased(thanks to @Crimsontine for finding this video):

I haven’t been shopping for multitools since NEXT because I already had a top Alien multitool from before Atlas Rises…but just today I saw someone else post about having found an Alien multitool in a different forum. The first thing that grabbed my eye was that it had MUCH weaker stats…damage bonus of only +34% down from +89%, total combined bonuses of +112%, down from +189%. Truly lame stats…I can’t believe Hello Games would do this. It seems like the only way to have awesome Alien multitools is through legacy saves. I checked a couple of youtube videos and those pretty much verify that Alien multitools are now extremely weak.

The Exprimental multitools now have slightly higher mining stats, massively higher scanning stat of +100% and slightly lower damage…Experimental multitools combine for ~150% which now makes them the better overall proposition if you don’t have something better from before NEXT.

If you have a legacy save with an awesome Alien multitool from before make sure you back up and care for that legacy save…because they’re trash now.

8 Likes

The mining is broken and the scan just affects that radar ping you do. I picked mine for the looks :slight_smile:

1 Like

The scanning affects more than the ping…I regularly see mineral deposits and other markers over 1000u away through the binoculars…plus the scanner upgrades also give massive income bonuses. As for mining…it feels good to be honest…even the toughest rocks I mine in like five seconds or so…not terribly slow by a long shot…and the upgrades pretty much eliminate all overheating concerns.

2 Likes

It’s supposed to increase yield as well, it doesn’t. And the modules upgrade yes -but the scan boost doesn’t affect it one bit. The alien is still the best for attack like it always was. Yes they were both nerfed hard though

2 Likes

I don’t think so…nothing in the upgrades mention yield anymore…now it’s just about time you spend mining and overheating…though the mining upgrades have a comical stat that supposedly reduces reload time…except there is no such thing as a reload time for the mining beam. Now that is definitely broken lol.

2 Likes

Yeah, a lot of nerfs in Next for returning players. :frowning:

Experimental multitools don’t have higher bonuses than Atlas Rises. Those had a 100% scanning bonus as now, but their damage went from 44% to 24% and their mining went from 80% to 29%.

Much tech seems to be less effective than before as well. In Atlas Rises, my S-class experimental multitool Plasma Launcher with just Theta & Tau could one-shot-destroy everything. In Next, my S-class rifle with 3 S-class upgrades now takes 4 plasma grenades to break into Operation Centers. Even with the damage bonus reduction, that’s way off.

Maybe HG felt things were just overpowered before, especially with the addition of multiplayer now. But it’s still very frustrating when you used to be able to obtain so much better.

3 Likes

I mean the bonus on the tool itself - pre-next the mining bonus gave a huge yield increase - now it doesn’t matter at all. I thought they were fine before - no idea why the change, but I could say that for a lot of things.

1 Like

Yeah the yeld bonus was removed but that seems intended…gathering stuff feels fine to be honest…now the bonus is from the ability to gather stuff faster and eliminating overheating…but that’s fine to be honest.

Except there is no reason for PvP…there are no rewards or anything related to it…I see no reason to balance the game for multiplayer.

1 Like

The tech downgrades are a bit bothersome, after having been so used to powerful stuff.
I saw an Experimental multitool with pretty disappointing stats in a station a while ago, and I was wondering if it was just a fluke. I guess not…

4 Likes

Tech hasn’t been downgraded…you can now go crazy and double down on tech…in fact most things are FAR more powerful…like being able to warp 7 times per warp cell or specialize an explorer/exotic for over 2500 warp distance per jump…pretty much everything besides the multitool can be FAR more powerful than it ever was. The multitools were insanely nerfed while everything else was boosted quite a lot…I don’t really get why they decided to hate on multitools.

2 Likes

I added this video showcasing the nerf to the main post, 10:29 timestamp, thanks to @Crimsontine for finding it:

4 Likes

Wow that really sucks. I guess I better not bother to look for the alien one then.
Why they would nerf that so bad I don’t understand. It’s just lame. :frowning:

2 Likes