Music Tastes among ETARCers?

Apparently they do not have ears. There is no way that jazz on the radio was the Monkees

4 Likes

AI use the shape of the waveform to decide if music is similar, which doesn’t always translate to how it sounds to human ears

3 Likes

Ω -Trans Fatty Acid- Ω

Although originally a Lamb track released in 1996 on their debut album (TFA official :link:YouTube), I’ll link the embed for the Kruder & Dorfmeister version from their K&D Sessions album released 2 years after (1998). Some of my favourite artists ever, although I have many favs to be honest.

(There are prolly better quality versions out there …crackle …crackle …scratch, I just linked a really old upload)

4 Likes

With the arrival of modern recording technologies and the move towards more digital methods as the 70s ended and the 80s approached, a funny thing happened.

Studio time was getting more expensive and it was quicker to record artists in isolation than have the full band move into a space and record. It was also less of a nightmare acoustically, which resulted in cleaner mixes. Getting one guy to do his part over cos they made a mistake was a much quicker process than having a whole band restart cos one person fluffed a note.

However most will agree a very special nuance that can make a song feel like it’s breathing with life disappears with this method. There’s an energy that’s lost and from my own personal experience, I rarely feel it recording or playing in isolation.

Long story short, it’s why I love these artists.
They record full band takes.
In their (drummers) mom’s house.
If they ad overdubs they let you know when too.

This is the first time I’ve seen them have to cut Genevieve off in the stair well with a weighted blanket (because the bass was muddying up her vocals) <3

(Try hold on for the string/brass/piano section if you can, it just keeps getting bigger and bigger :heart_eyes:)

5 Likes

I always wonder where on earth you get a singer with that kind of rhytmical literacy. Like, not singing rythmically (most seem to be able to do that just fine), but waiting rythmically (i.e. knowing where to fall in on an odd meter). I’m slowly getting convinced that it’s actually impossible without genetic tinkering… :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Jazz Singers; its not the notes they sing but the wait in between the notes XD

3 Likes

Hey stupid idiot, get off of the internet.

2 Likes

Paul Wolinski - Telex From Midi City - VHS Edition

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3sKY6esUQr/

3 Likes

I love this remixed version of a novelty song. Sorry, it is a bit vulgar

3 Likes

That Brian robert Jones remix is so trash.

2 Likes

clean the ears and mind with some of this instead eh LoL

420 Soon

3 Likes

That’s mean. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.

4 Likes

Youtube thought I’d like this artist and it was very correct

3 Likes

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and realise I still don’t own a pair of Sunglasses with Flashing Snail Eyes.

I need to find a new obsession

5 Likes

Make sure you get the pants to go with them
And remember to get approval from the Ministry of Silly Walks

5 Likes

Echo Watch

4 Likes

Kind of funny having ordered Orbital exclusive last month. Looking forward to it in a few weeks!

4 Likes

It actually comes with a cassette?

3 Likes

That is one of the options. I went with CD myself, although tempted with Vinyl.

3 Likes

When spoken about the tonal shift on the 65dos Discord, polinski had this to say:

cheers! this is probably because at some point during writing it, i clocked that it was veering kind of close to this long lost gem of a track (https://youtu.be/gBmYDISXGWQ) and that i should probably push the matte flex somewhere else. hence that tone shift. which in turn ended up with me going back to the first bit and changing that more too.

i left a tiny little tribute to this song in the matte flex tho
01:16 in the matte flex video for like, i dunno, a quarter of a second’s worth of drum pattern

3 Likes