Latest Space Missions (& Other Science Stuff)

If your name is Ed Baldwin please do not apply. We have enough space jerks annoying everyone with their egos in fictional shows, thank you very much. #hibob

1 Like

For some reason, my wife sent me this. Not sure if she wants to get rid of me… :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

Well, if she gives you this for your next birthday…

1 Like

Starship - Flight Test 3

Strship Flight 3 :link: SpaceX

3 Likes
1 Like

Starship - Third Flight Test

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1LyxBnOvzvOxN

(Should take about 40mins.)

Looks like SpaceX just went live, which is prolly a good sign for a launch!
See Twitter broadcast link earlier

2 Likes

Starship T-5:00.
Hold at 40s to verify wind conditions for launch
T-2:00
Go For Launch!!!

MECO

All Nominal

Re-entry, ascend burn Booster … hmmm

Starship Nominal Orbital Insertion

Just WOW so far!

Video of the launch

3 Likes

Looks like they tested a cargo door, but not sure that went alright. This was shortly after propellant transfer.

Still coasting

Re-entry coming up next, with final splash-down in the Indian ocean, with current flight path

Coming up on the mesosphere (about 80km), with stratosphere after 50km, troposphere 12km

Trying to stabilise

Not looking great to be honest, but trying …

I think we lost it …

5 Likes

Exciting play-by-play :smiley:

3 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/14/world/voyager-1-communication-issue-poke-scn/index.html

2 Likes

This was a great live stream video. Very cool how the atmosphere can compress against the craft and burns into plasma intensely.

2 Likes
2 Likes

So exciting! NASA is setting up a kiosk in Hot Springs. Vendors moving in from everywhere. Rooting for the European weather model. It is usually more accurate than GFS anyway.
Wish everyone could come to my place for the eclipse.

2 Likes

I read that as “wish everyone could come to my place for chips.”

I’ll go anywhere if theres Chips (not crisps, i guess you call em Chunky Fries?)

img2.thejournal

I also hear the lyrics for “total ecplise of the heart” as “I’d totally eat chips from a cart”

I was in Holland once, they sell chips in a cone, with mayo… It doesnt sound like its anything special but I’ve never had anything like them before or since. Does the cone shape direct the flavours to your nose better? I’ve no idea… was just chips and mayo and rolled up cardboard XD

Look forward to hearing about all the fun from the Eclipse.

The last time I think we got one properly in Ireland was the 90’s, I remember my cousin poking a hole through a cardboard square he cut out of a cereal box for me, we were all down on my mothers family farm in Longford for the event in the dead of summer. I wanna say some time between 1996-1999.

Edit:

Just looked it up, was august 1999. We get lumped in with “british isles” all the time but that includes us XD

The last before that was 1927 and the next one won’t be until 2090. So I guess I saw my first and last Eclipse this side of the cinder. Guess I’ll have to move to where its happening if I want to see another :smiley:

1 Like

Or potato wedges.

And always eaten with ketchup. So are chips over there salted or plain? Have never tried mayo but you likely use real mayo, not Miracle Whip …so many questions. May have to whip some up for the eclipse.
Well this is comprehensive and involves a bit of science and so still appropriate for this thread.

1 Like

You can get em salted or not, up to you, be they in a restaurant or mcdonalds. With Chippers, theyll ask if you want salt and/or vinegar with yr chips if you haven’t already instructed. Though mcdonalds does have their seasoning salt put on by default after coming out of the vat, you can ask them to give you fries without it and you just gotta wait for the next batch

“You know the fat cut, greasy numbers you get with fish in most towns and cities in the UK and Ireland? If you can’t get them, how come why not?”

So eloquently put…

According to the responders you guys call em Steak Fries. I googled them but most images returned just looked like wedges. As potatoey on the inside as wedges, but more rectangular and less orange slice in shape.

To bring things back to space… I wonder are they allowed chips on the ISS?

I know crisps are out of the question (Potato Chips for Americans)

I hope to never try Miracle Whip though I’ve seen some places that sell import goods stock it. I can’t imagine it’s any tastier after a trip across the Atlantic.

Another interesting fact about British Chippers that usually gets lost in the conversation is they’re mostly all run and started by Italian Migrants. What you won’t find, is any actual Italian Food. (very rarely one might have a pizzeria attached)

Never actually thought to look in to why until now

Carlow Nationalist — Carlow goes wild for the Italian chippers | Carlow Nationalist.

“It’s claimed that the first chipper was opened by a Jewish man by the name of Joseph Malin in East London around 1860. The Italian immigrants of the time saw the lengthy queues and this successful business model started popping up everywhere.”

1 Like

Housewives would carve potatoes into the shape of fish and fry them as an alternative. …think I will skip that step. :sweat_smile:
And yes to the jo-jo’s That is what they were called when first introduced and sold in grocery store deli sections…steak or wedge potatoes are exactly that, just potatoes cut into wedges and prepped as your standard french fry…will definitely try the vinegar chips.

Eclipse hype in overdrive. State of emergency declared for Arkansas thru April 10
Sonic drive in has a Blackout slush with soft serve ice cream and galactic sprinkles. Just says blackout flavor…curious…it comes with a free pair of solar shades
Had to try it

Really good!

7 Likes
5 Likes

Getting grey here. Butterflies have vanished.
I saw solar flares and planets. Was short here but amazing! A burro nearby kept breighing. :joy:

4 Likes