Latest Space Missions (& Other Science Stuff)

My brother sends me this in the middle of the eclipse

9 Likes

Like far too many celestial events, today’s eclipse was almost entirely obscured by cloudy skies here in upstate New York. The sun was actually somewhat visible for a total of about 30 seconds several minutes before totality. The clouds did enable me to get this photo just using my phone with no special filters:

However I was completely denied the satisfaction of using my sophisticated, high-tech, extremely sensitive, last minute, DIY viewing apparatus:

On the other hand, it is fully recyclable.

9 Likes

:rofl:

That’s wonderful.

3 Likes

So is your cardboard-a-scope

2 Likes

lol, thanks! I will it keep until we do have a sunny day so I can at least test it out for its solar imaging capability. Alas, the sun will have no bites removed. Which, to be fair, is probably a good thing. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

This one may deliver a sonic boom

4 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

That website shouldn’t be called space.com, it should be called adds.com. Like, literally at least 3 quarters of my screen are taken up by adds at any one time. Most of the time I don’t even notice adds anymore because they’re so ubiquitous nowadays, but this site managed to make me wonder “wait, where is the content” at first? That’s a bit of an achievement in and of itself.

Anyways, the Artemis set looks cool. I mean, it’s kind of an add for a toy that pretends to be content. I guess they need all the other adds screaming around it so it comes off as a factual article in comparison… oh boy, here I go again. Yep, definitely too many adds on that site!

5 Likes

So here is just the YT vid errrruh…ad

5 Likes

The 13 year Brood XIX cicada emergence has begun here. Sadly, so much clear cutting has been done near my house, I need to traverse some rough terrain to reach the rowdy noise I hear growing in the trees across the way…I may get adventurous enough to do it. The sound calls…Meanwhile, here is one that was drowning in the dog’s water bowl. I saved it.

Notice the reddish eyes.

7 Likes

We periodically (every 5 years or so) get some species of cicada here that calls so loudly that I need to cover my ears while walking through a particular little area. I have no idea of the species, I only know that they are really big & very loud & hurt a bit when they crash into your forehead at full speed… :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

History-filled room

3 Likes

My cicada hunting so far…they are getting louder by the day

And one tree frog

And a caterpillar dragging his leafy disguise with him

Touch him and he ducks inside for protection.

Sound of the Brood

10 Likes

:dizzy_face:

Those are the most demonic looking cicadas I’ve ever seen. The ones I remember from growing up in Illinois were just a slightly iridescent green. And no red eyes.

3 Likes

Well, if you lived 13 years in total darnesss then suddenly emerged into the light, your eyes might be bulging red too. :face_with_spiral_eyes: :eyes: :smile:
I did not take a pic of the one that was just a head with wings…and still walking. :woozy_face:
Here’s some more

7 Likes

Fun page

5 Likes

This was absolutely fascinating, had no idea about the behaviour of these cicadas and how they’re mole people. Every two hundred years they join forces to reclaim the surface. Someday guys, some day you’ll succeed 07

2 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes