Latest Space Missions (& Other Science Stuff)

SYFY WIRE: Elon Musk’s space-faring red Tesla just did a flyby of Mars.

6 Likes

Ars Technica: After 20 years of service, the Space Station flies into an uncertain future.

6 Likes

For any who have access to Disney+, I recommend The Right Stuff. Not to be confused with the movie that released a number of years back. At first I was not too keen on it. The Mercury story has been told so many times, but, this series is a much more personal story. More about the astronauts lives. Their personalities, (yes, there is a ton of ego involved) and it makes for good story-telling. The first few episodes are slow as they lay the ground-work. The pace soon picks up especially with Episode 6, Vostok.

3 Likes
3 Likes

SpaceX - Starship SN8 high altitude flight test

Scheduled for launch today prior to the window closing at 5pm CST

Of course LabPadre is on site with multiple live feeds on YouTube:

Edit:

Raptor auto-abort at T-01.3s, no launch today, hopefully they’ll try again soon.

4 Likes

SpaceX - Starship SN8 high altitude flight test

Scheduled for another launch attempt today

LabPadre live cam feeds on site:

Edit:

T-02:13 mins “Hold on countdown”
Clock paused. Standing by for new T-0
Tentative T-0 now 4:40 pm CST / 22:40 UTC

4 Likes

So it… auto-corrected for missing thrusters, found its way back by auto-gliding, reached the exact landing position and then… it spontaneously decombusted? :thinking:

4 Likes

We call it lithobraking.

3 Likes

It has been obvious to me for some years that Elon Musk is an enemy alien.

He doesn’t even try to hide his alien name. No human is named Elon Musk. He might as well be called Xptokftipl Gntkrstd.

He has access to seemingly limitless quantities of money. More than NASA. More than many national governments. And all this despite the fact that nobody actually buys the stuff he claims to make.

Now he’s trying to knock the Earth out of orbit by crashing rockets into it.

One day, someone will pull his rubber mask off. Then we’ll see the truth.

6 Likes

Also, he has had more projects that failed, than other people had projects that succeeded, and he’s still more successful… quite suspicious. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

All of this kinda makes me wonder what Starlink is really about…thousand of little satellites broadcasting…into space :scream:

3 Likes

They’re for Alien Reality TV.
:earth_americas: :artificial_satellite: :flying_saucer:
You know, shows like:

‘Stupid Humans’ showcasing the countless weird & wonderful ways humans injure themselves up on camera.
&
‘Final Countdown’ featuring the rapid & amusing demise of life on planet Earth at the hands of the naked apes.

:upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Can we all laugh now?

NJ.com: U.S. Space Force now called ‘Guardians’ … of the galaxy? Groot would like a word. (OK, maybe 3.).
U.S. Space Force now called ‘Guardians’ ... of the galaxy? Groot would like a word. (OK, maybe 3.) - nj.com

2 Likes
5 Likes

Inverse: Mars rover selfie reveals the toll of life on Mars.

6 Likes

Every story on the same page of this site was interesting. I couldn’t leave until I read them all. That was my short break from my first experience with Linux Debian 10 terminal. I purchased a Lenovo Chromebook and Linux is included. Not installed until you decide to use it. Its been all MS Windows until now. Let the confusion begin,and end soon. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Happy Cake Day @Finnerty!

2 Likes

ComicBook.com: Tesla’s Starman Finally Reaches Mars.
Tesla's Starman Finally Reaches Mars

4 Likes
6 Likes

Nice (Albeit a bit uncanny as usual). Now that they got the coordination mostly figured out, the next step is the ability to calculate steps live while it’s doing actual work. (These dance steps are pretrained and fixed, right?)
Where do we want to use walking robots? - likely in war zones or desaster zones or in complex factories. The robots would either need senses to evaluate the ground under their feet and find a save path, or get assistance of a human scout - and then make use of these advanced coordination skills to surmount obstacles where we can’t walk…

(And yes, I know, they’ll end up being used in wars and for crowd control, sigh…)

3 Likes