***IMPORTANT*** Game-breaking portal bug!

All of the videos I have seen of so far show people meeting around a portal without letting it close.

So I pose these further experimental suggestions:

1. Has anyone checked to see if another player can activate the portal for you from afar?
  2. Has anyone checked that another player can “guard” the portal while the other explores further?
  3. If 2 players explore the same planet from the same portal, does it reactivate for both at the same time?

@MacForADay I would volunteer to help you investigate the portals further, but I am still collecting glyphs (as quickly as I can :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Finally found a workaround for this bug thanks to a tip from one of my livestream viewers.

6 Likes

If I wasn’t so intent on reacquiring my inventory every time a bunch of pirates made my life a misery, a visit to my system would have been a wander through a graveyard.:skull_and_crossbones::flushed:

1 Like

This was recently brought to my attention by another member. I seem to have something of a reverse issue…

My homeworld at the Centers’ edge of the Euclid galaxy has a portal very near to a very busy Trading Post. (~2 minute walk) This could theoretically give everyone a convenient shortcut to the Center of the galaxy!

-Come through the Portal
-Stroll up the hill to the Trading Post.
-Buy a cheap ship.
-Fly to the Center!

I have activated the Portal, retrieved its address, and posted it on this board. However, everyone that has attempted to visit this world has been sent to my solar systems’ sister planet, which has no known resources to get off-world. (So far just an Abandoned Structure) Thankfully no one has been stranded, as you were temporarily, but a couple of people seemed to be sorely disappointed in the wasted trip.

Your scientific accounting of your stranding has given me a framework to explore this issue and see if there is a workaround, but I have a feeling that there is no feasible way to create a “shortcut” to the Center. But the difference is I have access to my ship! So I can engage in wholesale mapping of the planet. I have also left an Exocraft bay, Beacon, and a “Billboard” advertising my Restaurant, (yes, I went there :wink: ), next to the other Portal for anyone intrepid enough to want to explore this planet on the ground. Beware, it is an Extreme Radiation planet:

1 Like

OK, so I was going to just add onto my last post, but this seems like it might be important enough for its own post, so here it goes…

I found a crashed ship about a 23 minute hike from this Portal’s coordinates. I have pictures of it. I walked up to it and “touched” it. I set down a Beacon, a Save Point, and a Message Pod next to it. It’s there, folks. That means if others can confirm its existence as well, you have your shortcut to the Center of Euclid.

Are there any other ways I can mark this location for others to see? Please let me know.

Hopefully I’ve found a Game-Breaking Portal Bug that’s actually helpful to fellow Travellers.

4 Likes

My experience (and others) so far is after entering portal planet, and without establishing home base etc, ships cannot be bought, crashed ships are not present.

1 Like

That is all true. But the difference here is the original Portal address I gave out, (which had all that stuff), was dumping people onto this nearby planet. However, since I’m still in the system with a ship, I can scout the area around this portal. If I’m understanding the game mechanics correctly, items like buildings, monoliths, and crashed ships only exist on these procedurally created worlds once someone finds and uploads them into the server. Since I’ve found this ship near an active Portal that has seen actual Traveller traffic AND marked it on the map with what I assume are shareable items, (i.e. Message Pod, Save Point), there’s a chance that it too may be available to others.

At least that’s the hypothesis.

The planets and content exist regardless of uploads, in fact there are separate instances of all of the content, meaning we’ll see different ship types, different gun types, etc, but something about portals locks out calling/buying/finding ships unless you can exploit a base near an open portal. Your best bet is finding a base that is very close to a portal.

1 Like

The save reload trick isn’t opening the portal for me. I’m stuck and have been for days.

I even found a crash site but there wasn’t a ship just the shadow/burnt earth.

I was at the end of the purge, when i went through the portal my ship, gun and exosuit were all damaged.

Really lost on what to do next.

I am 3 glyphs from having a whole set…after which I was going to visit some of the bases through the portal coordinates that have been posted here on ETARC.

Thank you for posting this continued issue. I suggested a few things to try in an earlier post ( but haven’t been in a position to test them until I had a complete glyph set).

Have you tried to have another player activate the portal from afar and visiting your planet as a possibility?

I wouldn’t even know what to tell them, or how to get here. There was no glyph code it was part of the missions.

Players cannot activate portals for other players

2 Likes

Write to them and send them your save file so they can load it and figure out what needs to be done, fixed.

This sounds like the part where it dumps you miles away from your ship and you have to fix it and call it over.

Are you saying your ship is completely gone? or it’s just broken?

Yeah it did need fixing and I can fix it but I look in the sky and the ship is off planet.

try calling it in, just maybe it will work

I’ve tried with bypass chips etc. It won’t call there are no ships flying around the planet either.

Your situation is unusual, because it is still in the system but off planet, the portal bug normally makes your ship out of system, so I was hoping down on d pad would call it, or even finding a base and reloading after finding base.

I’ve tried a new base this didn’t make any difference. Reloading, reloading with a save point near and far from the portal.

Well I’ve now learned a little about the save files and found a tool to reset my galaxy from hibert. Restarted game and now I have a ship still working through if my missions are now screwed but hey.