I beleave it is Broken

When I first bought this game I had a lot of fun with it, but then the updates came and things started to go bad, I’m not saying that HG aren’t trying there best in fixing it, but whatever it is they are doing it isn’t helping. I am playing this game on a PS 4 pro and now whenever I go to build something it sounds like a steam train going through my house, my PlayStation has never had to work so hard just so I can have some fun, so what I have decided to do about it is simple, put the game away and play something else and it will stay that way for at least 6 months or until it is fixed properly. It is a shame really, because I really do like playing this game.

2 Likes

I remember somebody having a similar problem… Todd possibly? Can’t remember. I think he fixed it by resetting the PS4…

2 Likes

Yes it was @toddumptious

1 Like

PS4 Pro is known to get loud, especially with intense games. Dust will gather over time and make it louder and run hotter. In most cases a good cleanup will help reduce the noise quite a bit. Others take it a step further to replace thermal pads, reapply the thermal paste, or even replace the fan.

I believe you can take the top off quite easily, to get access to the fan. Do be very careful though, especially with the fan, as plastic can get brittle over time. There are plenty of tutorial videos on YouTube.

If you are not confident about doing this yourself, contact Sony, or take it to repair.
Keep in mind that opening up the console likely voids any warranty you may have.

2 Likes

The PlayStation console isn’t the most powerful of efficient gaming device out there, due to this fact, there are many things that make noises during data and processor intensive parts of games. The hardrive is spinning(can be fixed by replacing this with an SSD), the disk is spinning(playing a digital downloaded version helps stop this) and the cooling fan is running but you can alleviate this by cleaning the console to remove dust, you can take this a large step forward by helping to cool down the console using various means that you can find on youtube videos.)

Hope this helps. The game isn’t going to be much nicer to the console as the game improves and adds content. But as softwares/games move forward, we can only keep up with better hardware.

1 Like

Ensuring the vents are clean and possibly stripping and cleaning the internals periodically (if required definately can help as can other suggestions above)
I have my PS4 propped up higher than its tiny legs allow and have a vented area all around to aid in cooling.
With a warm ambient temperature, the console can actually feel quite warm to the touch and have its little fan whizzing away but it is still quite happy.
The PS4 gets a good workout running NMS sometimes but I don’t think it’s overworked at all.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback on the Playstation, I understand what you saying about keeping it clean, my console is clean and all my games are installed on an external drive so that won’t be the problem. None of my other game cause my playstation to make so much noise only this one, I also have a external desktop fan blowing air into it to keep it cool but it doesn’t help. I don’t think it’s my console since it’s only 8 months old and like I said it doesn’t do that to the other games, I suppose this game is special and it needs to do this. I’ll just have to wait and see if gets fixed, if not bad luck for me.

4 Likes

Yeah, none of your other games put that kind of load on its CPU, either. That’s the thing about NMS. Most games use mostly the GPU on the PS4 and don’t take that much CPU processing. The PS4 (especially the PS4 Pro) has quite a powerful GPU, but its CPU can’t really hold a candle to an I7. And NMS’ procgen has to do an awful lot on the CPU that can’t be shoved to the GPU, so it is quite a bit more demanding than most other games, especially on consoles (not as bad as dwarf fortress, but still pretty bad).

4 Likes