How to use Portals: A Guide

Simply a white dot when scanning ? A big one at least ?

Yep simple as that, On a mountain there was a hole in it, where I found this artifact.

Do the graves keep appearing until you have all 16, or do you lose out if you’ve been to 16 grave systems but didn’t find the graves?

Portals are in Creative and you can use them for “free” (you don’t have to go Glyph hunting), though it seems you can only set the portal to one coordinate. Haven’t figured out how to reset the portal, if it’s possible.

1 Like

I’m certainly very unlucky then, i tried by foot, fly and vehicle but still nothing. No “white dot” or “diamond”.

I just got to the point in the quest line where you are sent to your first graveyard. I havent gotten to the point after that yet where you have to go looking for more, but if I run in to trouble and figure out what to do I’ll let you know!

Has anyone attempted to reestablish after going through a portal? Since your ship doesn’t go with you, does finding a way to call your ship or finding a new ship work? How about moving your base to the new planet?

If this can be figured out, it would be a boon for Hub building.

The guide in the top posts here: https://forums.etarc.org/t/join-the-hyperion-initiative/2995 suggests that making a new base on the planet you portal to, then going back, find a space station and teleport to your base, will also bring your ship there.

1 Like

Can you summon your freighter once you step thru?

That would only be useful after you have your space ship. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yes, very true

Transmission stations offer up crashed ships and freighters theses contain the logs from dead travellers they will often lead you to their graves, i found two ghostly travellers on a station next to a crashed freighter after i listened to their last dying log

2 Likes

i had 3 glyphs and entered them into the portal in different variations making up the 12 in the address got sent to a wide variety of planets when i found a nice one and search for a habitable homebase it was off planet Lol

2 Likes

It does peculiar things if you try it, though. I had two ships, my main hauler that I was using, and a scrap shuttle on my freighter ready to swap for a decent crashed ship.

I flew in my hauler to a planet with a portal, stepped through the portal, and called my freighter. It arrived - I could see it in the sky. But of course, without a ship, it was useless.

I went back through the portal, and the hauler I had arrived in had disappeared. It had been replaced by my scrap shuttle.

I flew the shuttle into space, called my freighter - and there, to my great relief, parked in the bay was my hauler, none the worse for its travels.

But funny things can happen…

2 Likes

i restarted from my previous check point before i entered the portal when that happened to me

Has anyone stayed on a portal planet long enough to find out whether they are closer to the Galactic centre than your starting planet is?

Got 6 glyphs and a save by a portal so I tried a few combinations and Atlas sent me somewhere ‘approximate’ each time. Didn’t test repeatability, but didn’t end up anywhere that looked like it might have a shelter or a trading post in a hurry. Habitable base 3 hours away in extreme toxic rain lol.

I’d take the hit on possibly losing a ship if my journey got significantly shortened.

Could you build a signal booster on the other side and use the coordinates? Doesn’t the pilgrim star path tool still work?

1 Like

You can calculate the coordinates of the planet you’re on by the portal address

So, I’m new to portals (haven’t used one yet). If you choose a random address, does it tell you the address you’re headed to before you go?

1 Like

You have to type in the glyphs yourself (like a Stargate) so you’ll always know where you’re going