Game Crashing

My other files are fine but my main save crashes as soon as I touch any button on my controller. Not sure if it is the planet or system I am in or what… :unamused: As long as I don’t do anything, the games goes on. Critters scurry by. Ships fly over. Storms come and go…I can’t even open photo mode with the screen going white and a swirling cursor coming up. Is this a bootstrapping issue again? IDK

3 Likes

Perhaps there is a large base nearby? Is there a earlier save that can be loaded instead?

By game time my main save is at ~1700 hours and it hasn’t had significant issues since the Beyond update. But because of those issues, I regularly back up my saves.

2 Likes

I have seen similar reported where it appears to be the planet location just crashing you. Some have been able to fix it by going into their ship real quick to then fly off as fast as possible. Most others not so lucky, having to revert to an older save (manual/auto). The exact cause is as of yet still unknown. Make sure to report it, including your saves

2 Likes

Have tried the “quick take-off” approach…not working… :weary:
There should not be any nearby bases. I discovered this system and have been exploring here for the last week.

1 Like

I haven’t see this problem in a long time so it is likely that it was actually a different problem but to get out I was able to shut down my network and get away from the planet. This was on a friend’s base, if I ever visited again I would crash. Even flying over his base would often crash my game. At least it is worth trying with the network off.

2 Likes

Update: I managed to pull off a quick escape! :scream:
Safely on the Space Station now.
I will report…scary!
It was my first time on that planet. Has to be the issue

2 Likes

I have tried help someone by visiting the planet they were actually on and had not been able to find anything out of the ordinary. This same person used an older save and tested the same planet again without issue. Unclear what is going on, but could be a specific resource/item, or possibly even a weather condition. Any storms or extremities on your planet?

1 Like

A toxic fungal planet with lots of shell-like formations and glowing grass. It has rain but I did not experience a big storm.
Not going back, lol.

1 Like

So you managed to escape by flying off real quick or was it the suggested disconnect from internet that did the trick?

1 Like

Quick takeoff. Was online when it worked. I went offline and failed 3 times to escape. I just finally got the lift off button to engage quickly enough.
I even went into one of my working saves and lowered all graphics to enhanced and that did not work either.
It was covered in these formations. (I returned for a touch down but did not exit. :scream:) It had the glowing grass and tall walker like critters nearby

This is the planet

That was about my 10th try this morning.
I have been on other planets like this one and had no problem.

EDIT: back on the surface,exploring…no problems

EDIT: …until I got back into my ship…crash!
(Apparently, there is no problem when on a landing pad.)

4 Likes

What’s bootstrapping?

Did you send that save to hellogames? Would be curious whether they can debug it and prevent that rare case in the future.

2 Likes

Basically, a bootstrapper prepares a more complex process to run. It checks the requirements, makes sure any dependencies are in place and then hands processing over to the main software once everything is ready.

The Steam Client Bootstrapper does this for games and other software that runs through the Steam client. It’s essentially the client’s main executable, making sure Steam itself stays updated, loads correctly and generally juggles the many jobs it has to do. If you forcibly end the bootstrapper, Steam itself will close.

:grin:copied from an article that explains it better than I can. I have had issues with this before. My screen gets an opaque white overlay and then crashes shortly after that. This turned out to not be a bootstrapping issue. Perhaps @DevilinPixy 's idea is correct. Perhaps it is the position of the planet or some item, resource, etc… nearby

Yes. Sending to HG.

3 Likes