Future Update Speculation

X marks the spot where the bird died. :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

With 12 expeditions out of the way I was thinking it would be nice to call it a day on the 16th expedition. Or maybe the 17th? :wink: With the rate they come out and with Light No Fire as far in to development as it is the timing could line up. Though I could see HG still continuing to lightly support NMS with community events and new expeditions for a while after LNF releases. I’ll be very happy if it’s even just having all the expeditions rotate indefinitely, I got a few I missed on console :smiley:

3 Likes

Second the motion!

2 Likes

First off, I’m really excited about ship customisation. I love tinkering and modding things so having the ability to make my own ship feels very special to me.

With that said, and with this new update, it seems a little more than undercooked this time.

It’s extremely bare-bones but that’s not a bad thing at all. It’s a great start and a great way for HG to see how we interact with it. Although this looks and feels like the foundation for a deeper level of customisation in the future. I doubt it will be any time soon, but this opens the door wide open for many opportunities in spicing up weekend mission and expedition rewards with new and old ship parts. An expedition could start off with no ship and you have to build your ship by salvaging from ships on the planet you are on, that would be something new. It could also open the door to story content by having to equip special wings or a special alien-like thruster in order to enter a specific region of space. Not just installing yet another warp drive that takes up yet another slot.

I’m looking forward to this being expanded upon.

3 Likes

As long as the update bringing the rest of the features does not alter the ships we have already customised… :joy:

3 Likes

I’m wondering if the exclusion of customizable shuttles was deliberate or still being code tested. In reality, I’m not fond of shuttles and don’t care. But I’m a curious ol traveler! :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve long-whinged that the Damaged Technology scattered across every single inhabited world in the NMS universe is just a bit too generic cut & paste in what is otherwise a pretty well-rounded game.

I’ve also mentioned before, that perhaps HG could utilise these locations & repurpose them slightly as ‘Debris’ & reskin them with a more diverse variety of appearances, (like wreckage, space debris, abandoned camps, derelict exocraft, ancient relics & whatever else the HG artisians come up with).

I bring this up again because this would still allow for the nanites & occasional modules as is current, but could also introduce a wider variety of useful collectables including various star-ship parts, stored ship tech, contraband, lost cargo/ trade goods, batteries & whatever other various goodies a wandering scavenger might be happy to find.

NMS is largely about exploring so turning all the Damaged Technology into all manner of interesting ‘lumps’ to inspect & loot would be a fun addition… and I’d appreciate it a lot more than yet another poster.

5 Likes

Especially now with the new space stations and freighters and more detailed starships, space is looking very high tech while planets still have the same ol vanilla buildings (collosal archives putting em to shame).

I can see trade stations if anything getting a bit of a makeover to keep in line with space station platforms etc.

More variety in damaged tech modules/drop pods as you were saying would also be great, maybe their regions can hint more at the Autophage that hide amongst them now too. The odd reflection now and then that makes you double take and think it must’ve been the wind.

You could also keep all the old look style buildings etc in abandoned systems and keep their bio terror aesthetics

5 Likes

Would love to see varied buildings

2 Likes

Anyone notice the button icons looking really off in the Orbital trailer? Borked textures? Or new controller map scheme maybe?

I only noticed this now because they added an unused Mission Condition to check for touch controls being enabled, and I had the sudden epiphany of realizing the iPad version of NMS never came out after that initial announcement…

6 Likes

It’s possible that since the game is on so many platforms now they’ve expunged the button prompts from showing up in gameplay they capture, so as not to promote any one version over the other. Can’t keep giving ground to the PC master race like that, ya know? Their egos are already ridiculous enough with not having to pay to play online or games generally being cheaper to purchase :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Did they add shuttles to the ship building?! When did that happen?

1 Like

@ThatBomberBoi has a mod for shuttles.

1 Like

A lot of laptop screens and some desktop monitors now are touch-enabled too.

1 Like
5 Likes

Edit: reports of sales and server connection issues.
So I did that backwards… @ThatBomberBoi post should be after this one as it is more recent

5 Likes
7 Likes

Already with the emojis? Might be earlier than next week, then.
Also, I’m not even sure about what’s speculated about being in the pipeline this time. Might just be another expedition, of course.

5 Likes

Ships at sea would be really cool.

6 Likes

I read that as Pimps at Sea. Which was a long running april fools joke back when Bungie were still Bungie.

4 Likes