Finding Excellent Freighters

With the new economic system and new (higher) prices for freighters, I have waited until now to search for an excellent freighter.

From what I have seen:

• general freighters parked in a system only go up to 19 slots and possibly A class.
  • a larger freighter can be purchased if you help defend it from pirate attack. The best I saw doing this was a 38 slot S class (which sadly I didn’t have the 405 million units for it at the time of discovery.)
  • The wealth of a system does not seem to be a factor.

Are my observations in line with what others have seen?

Are there better ways of finding really good freighters?

3 Likes

Your description closely mirrors my own experience.
Only notable difference was the price of the excellent freighter after helping out. Mine was 360 Million. I too could not afford it.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this.

I think I have finally saved enough units to afford a decent freighter (just under 800mil) but even when I have defended one I like the look of, the slots are only between 16-19 and kind of scattered. I’m determined to find a 38 slot so I can start building my fleet!

And I’m still in Euclid (I think --only been shoved through a portal twice by the Atlas?) Still lookin’ for more Travellers, having only five glyphs so far.

2 Likes

@LordMarkov , Seems correct for the most part. I have noticed you cannot use your Freighter to warp into the system to get the space battle it seems. And when I did get to fight for the Freighter even though it was a 29 or so slot freighter which is about 10 more than my current one, It had a 3 percent warp drive bonus. My 19 percent or so range bonus is a must and I won’t give it up for 10 more freighter slots :slight_smile:

It did cost a bit but with over a billion in units cost is not the problem. I am just really picky :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I actually purchased a new freighter last night. Finally upgraded my old “Outboard Motor” C-Class, 13 Slot freighter, (The Intrepid - Pictures in my ‘Into the Aftermath’ thread) and went for a C-Class, 24 Slot Super-Freighter.

It cost me 123m following a 53m trade in of my old freighter and my thinking was that I will command a higher trade in value when going for my S-Class Freighter.

I don’t warp around a great deal, and this is the third battle I’ve had in as many months. When I see a design I like, I’ll make a note a do the Re-load trick when I hit a battle to spawn my S-Class.

1 Like

LordMarkov,

I agree with your observations on finding freighters. Last night I defended a 34 slot A - Class freighter ( I have never seen an S - Class) and upgraded from a 33 slot B - Class. The upgrade cost was 170 million units. The truly frustrating part is that I had a fully kitted base on my B - Class. Now I will have to re-build it all again! :frowning_face:

I would recommend have at least 500 million units on hand. More is, as always, better! :moneybag:

—Des

4 Likes

I completely agree. Having 500 million units ensures the ability to purchase any upgrade of freighter, especially if you are lucky enough to find a 38 slot S-class, after a pirate conflict.

I was lucky enough to find a 34 slot A-class freighter after a pirate conflict for 349 million units this evening.

During this exploration before finding this freighter, I encountered the same general freighters parked in a system ( upto 19 slots/ upto A Class). Most of the freighters awarded after a pirate conflict were 26 slots and C-class.

1 Like