Free Freighter

So I just read you can get a free freighter by helping one out that is under attack by Pirates. I had one of those but I don’t remember being invited on board by the Captain. Now they are gone. Did I miss my chance to get one?

3 Likes

I think it’s still possible. Here’s some stuff to read through.

https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/380227/how-does-the-free-freighter-quest-really-work-in-no-mans-sky

3 Likes

Nah, in fact the game will produce an unreasonable amount of freighter attacks until you accept one. It’s kind of annoying if you don’t want a freighter…

2 Likes

Yeah. Just keep warping into new systems. Make sure to answer the comms after defeating all the pirates. After getting the Freighter you want, you can choose to ignore any pirate attacks after that but you will have to boost away to get out of fighting range and continue to stay out of range or you will be attacked. If you choose to fight in the other battles, you can ignore the Captain’s invitation to come aboard or you can go aboard and gather some chromatic metal as a reward or you can check out the Freighter and exchange it with the one you already have. Any building you did will reset. It will not carry over to the new Freighter.

3 Likes

A freighter Space Battle will happen after every 3+ hours of in-game time (cumulative) and 5 warps. As long as you do not own a freighter yet, the one on offer after defeating all pirates, will be free. The first time this will happen, it will always be a low class system type freighter. After the first, it will always be a Sentinel type or Venator type (so called capital) freighter. So if that is what you are after for free, decline the first freighter.

A ‘capital’ freighter will always be the same look for the system you are in. The stats and class will however be RNG. As soon as you enter a system and a Space Battle triggers, you can land in the Space Station to jump out of your ship, to save. With that save you can reload the battle as often as you like. This can be used to ‘farm’ for the stats and class you want. You just have to do the battle over and over until you possibly get an S-class. This can however take a long time, with some unlucky players having reported 100+ battles before finally getting S-class. So keep that in mind :wink:

6 Likes

What does an S class freighter have that an A or B doesn’t?

3 Likes

I can not say with authority, but it gives you a bonus when you send out your frigates. I have added enough upgrades to hide what that bonus might be.

Also when I found the freighter that I have it was before you could add storage. At that time the S class usually had more slots.

4 Likes

I have never found an S class freighter in all my games which since 2016 total over 2000hrs

I really hoping it happens so i can get the extra tech slots

4 Likes

The one that I have is the only one I ever found, I’m on my sixth play thru and it has 1400 hours. It might take one of those semi-cheat methods of warping until you find a battle and reload-repeat until the dice roll in your favor. IDK. You can upgrade your tech slots with the augmentation that you get at the end of a derelict freighter mission, my freighter now has all storage and tech slots available. (and it is never enough :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It’s not only still possible, but for the first time in I cannot even count how many plays, this time I got an S Class Freighter first pop out of the box. The key to getting a freighter is to find a system with high pirate activity (this one was rated ‘lawless’) and make a point of establishing it as a place you visit regularly for trading and do not just transport in; warp warp warp. I’ve actually gotten four freighter distress calls in that system so far, and this play is only at like forty hours.

5 Likes

Stats and inventory size

3 Likes

19/6, which is disappointing. I got a distress call later from a class B that was freakin’ HUGE. Since then I have stopped looking and just take the meager chromatic metal payment and leave.

Jump range is 180, but I really never jump in a freighter so can’t say that matters. Fleet coordination is 31.

I missed on the time BTW. I’m close to 80 hours in, not 40. Time flies when you are having fun.

5 Likes

Freighter jump range is not really important as you can summon it anywhere even across galaxies … all you need is a long range ship. Just wait until you get an S class freighter (gives you a bit more direct storage) if you want but in this case do not built an elaborate base on the one you have as you’l have to rebuild it (unless that does not bother you :). Just build a save point somewhere and a TP (to make your life easier) and build the feighter storage rooms to store your goods (you’ll have to rebuild those if you change your freighter but their content will be there as well as the ships you buy)… Enjoy the game !

1 Like

I haven’t tested it, but the change notes for Prisms said:

" When purchasing a new freighter, your existing freighter base is automatically transferred and reconstructed . In addition, freighter base layouts can now be reset at any time from the Freighter Upgrade Control terminal."

I assume since I haven’t seen any complaints that that probably works.

3 Likes

I must admit that I haven’t tried this one (my S class freighter dates back well before Prism) and I apologize for misleading information. If this is true, it would be good news ! I’ll put this to the test in a new game. As for resetting the base using the Upgrade Control Terminal, it means deleting it … and you don’t get the build components back …:frowning:

Enjoy the game !

Hari Seldon

1 Like

This does indeed work, and can actually even be abused if you’re short on freighter building resources.

2 Likes

LOL…I was going to mention that I have referred to that as “the infinite silver exploit” in the past, but I am new here and steered away because sometimes the word ‘exploit’ gets unintended reactions. I use it strictly in the context of ‘the game designers didn’t really provide this intentionally, but I apply no judgements.’ I personally never seem to be so short of silver that it feels worth my time to run through scrapping out a freighter, but one man’s exploit (judgement version) is another man’s clever play, and it’s NO man’s sky so I am certainly not gonna judge.

That said…if you haven’t ground all the way down the construction blueprints tree to the magic boxes already, you can still use the construction menu to pick up the magic box that comes with your freighter and as long as you have the components in inventory you can make as many as you want. I refer to this as “the magic box exploit,” and again I seldom feel short enough of the things the magic box provides to make it seem worth doing for me, but it is a clever thing that does work. I made a stack of four in my present game, but it was mostly just for looks. I can’t bring myself to throw away a perfectly good magic box, but one just laying on the floor looks kinda forlorn.

3 Likes