Expedition 7 Leviathan

Must destroy an entire sentinel army all the way to the chicken walker to get a sentinel map. That should complete 2 missions at once (20 sentinel and shut down missions) and shut them down…which means you won’t need the map.

4 Likes

I found a sentinel pillar by exploring (I was looking for crashed ships to scrap for resources). I could walk up to the pillar and turn the sentinels off. Doing this kills all the sentinels on the planet - which is not as great as it sounds, as they only spawn in the area you’re occupying, but it gets you a few kills, and you can pick up the barrels with resources in.

Turning off the sentinels gives you a planet you can freely mine for carbon, ferrite, copper, and whatever else the planet has, with no interference. So it’s a good idea to build a base near the sentinel pillar for fast teleportation from any space station.

If you leave the system, the sentinel pillar turns back on - so when you return, you have to turn it off again, which kills all the sentinels again…

Do this a few times, and you’ve killed your 20 sentinels without firing a shot.

You will eventually get a sentinel map as a reward for one of the missions. By the time I got mine, I had no use for it.

Explore, explore, explore. :grin:

10 Likes

Died 8 times so far and still not liking it.

Interesting thing about Observatories.

Been to two (one in each of two different lives) and found that I could repeatedly execute the control panel.

After a lot of cycles the problem remains the same and so does the answer. Seems a good way to raise your standing with the systems race.

Standing may or may not increase every time but it looks like it does most of the time.

8 Likes

11 Likes

Sentinel pillar - my little base in background, my collection of restored crashed ships in front.

Bad tempered guardian, about to discover he has an “off” switch.

Meeting a new friend.

11 Likes

That worm shot is breathtaking! :heart:

3 Likes

8 Likes

I hope we get something at the end of all of this…does anyone know?

6 Likes

I have made around 40 contributions to Polo’s collection. I won’t be making any more. They give me useless duplicate upgrades for a game offshoot I’m not going to return to once the expedition ends. I really don’t like survival mode, and I hate permadeath.

I’ll just take my whale and go.

5 Likes

I am just now working the Exp on Steam Deck. It is so nice to get A class upgrades rather than C class. On my main save, where I don’t need them, I give them away.

3 Likes

Amen, bro!

6 Likes

Dammit, I had a really good run. But then I got stupid and tried to reach the fourth anchor point in a firestorm, without having any actual heat protection. That wasn’t what killed me, though. I was stocked up on batteries, so I didn’t expect too much trouble.
But the constant recharging was rather distracting, and visibility was extremely low. What I thought would be down a short slope got steeper, and turned out to be a mountain. How high a mountain? No idea, at this point I can’t see neither the peak nor the bottom. And then I realised that my jetpack wasn’t recharging. That could only mean one thing: I was airborne! I saw the mountainside right there next to me, but the storm made it really difficult to judge whether it was moving or not. On closer inspection, it was moving.

Ok, calm down. How long had I been falling? Couldn’t have been too long, surely. Let’s fire the jetpack and take some speed out, the ground will come up any second now. Except it didn’t. At least 10 seconds had passed, possibly fifteen. Still falling. Jetpack fuel almost gone. Probably enough to break the fall if I timed it right, but with that visibility, the chances of that were negligible.
And sure enough, I splattered on a ground that I never saw coming. Didn’t even see it in the moment of impact.
Well, that was fun. Doing the whole thing again… slightly less fun, since all the locations remain the same, unfortunately. But worth it, I think.

15 Likes

If nothing else, this expedition has brought some great stories. :rofl:

7 Likes

And that’s about the major reason why I play games, so… win. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

4 Likes

Aaaand they broke it. I can’t play anymore. Whenever I get out of my ship, I see a black screen and a dimmed hud, and the game hangs. I had experienced this state before, usually with heavy activity of other players around, so I had put it down to synching issues. But now I have multiplayer disabled, and it still happens.

I understand there was an update since I last got around to playing it… :tired_face:

8 Likes

3 Likes

I don’t have a screenshot, just a fun story: I put down a base computer on a mountain on an anchor point planet. I got the animation that drags the camera up into the sky — and suddenly my view was surrounded by tentacles grasping me! :astonished: The camera went down again and I looked up, and right above me, some leviathans were passing by. :sweat_smile:

I assume you are all done already (And not playing as slowly as I, a chapter per weekend) but if you still get them to spawn above you, try if you can reproduce that!

9 Likes

I still haven’t finished. I’m on the fourth anchor point I think. But I can only play one hour at a time.

8 Likes

Final phase of the community mission is only at 34%…and it has been 8 days…

5 Likes