Expedition 7 Leviathan

wait a couple weeks, the rewards will make it much easier. Personally I love the concept of it. Though I think if I was to tweak it I would prefer the unlocks /progression remain. just gear, location and items reset.

5 Likes

It was personally pretty easy for me. Went around a second time and im almost done with it again but its not that bad for me. I like the challenge for a change. But I think that it could be tweaked a bit to be a little easier for different players because NMS does have some players out there that prefer little-to-no challenge and thats okay too. It is a game after all and we each have fun differently.

I think if I were to have a say in how this expedition was going to be made, I would have made anchor points the only place were you would receive an option to save your gameā€™s data such as items, slots, progression, ect. That way a death wouldnā€™t mean a long repetitive journey.

However, the current method HG implemented to make it easier for players who arent a fan of overcoming crazy odd challenges was for those players to wait for the optional milestones to auto-unlock. From there, they can get an easy start with S-class and X-class upgrades right from the start and in addition they can get free nanites from selling some off. Which is pretty generous actually. However, they still need to join the endurance race and I can see how people would not be a fan of that part still. Thus why I think it would be easier to swallow for some if you just needed to sprint to the next anchor point to be safe from a full wipe.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s bad luck. I spent a few hours looping (about 30 times before I got tired of it) and I never spawned that far away. Mostly I was ~500u away, however once I spawned almost on the wing, maybe 3u away. The roughest cycle was one in the higher mountains with no caves and no flora to speak of, I ran out of everything before I made it. I am farming derelict freighters so I wanted a cold shield and pulse splitterā€¦ I got the gun but not the shield. Since then I have made it back to the second anchor point with 14Mu, 13K nanites, two fairly full guns 3 heat shields but Iā€™m still running from one heater to another. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I hate those guys, you canā€™t hide from them and there isnā€™t any warning so you canā€™t prepare. Kind of how Sean described sand worms and why they wernā€™t in the game. Just no fun. Lucky for me when they appeared in my game I was at the outer circle of a minor settlement and they went for the building first. I could time my run for the ship between attacks. If they would at least give you a few seconds like they do in space we could call the ship and prepare (or throw down a save point and reload).

5 Likes

This is interesting. This is Anchor Point 1, after my 5th death.

Last time I was here, there were dozens and dozens of comm balls left by previous players. Now there are none. Not one. After you die, do you enter a special instance?

3 Likes

I noticed some of the Anchor Points not having as many comms as I expected. Since I did die 4 times, could be? Of course, I am also in experimental so I donā€™t know if that might make a difference since I am out of sync with most players.

For those gathering Ancestral Memories, remember that dig sites have a safety barrier over them. Weather has no affect. So lure the critters into the safety zone and you can gather all day.

6 Likes

Loop Event 1 triggered - monstrosities.

7 Likes

yup, they all trigger somethingā€¦just not always on land.

4 Likes

Loop Event 2 triggered - Corrupted Sentinels.

6 Likes
4 Likes

Anchor Point 4 - the colours may have gone, but the comm balls are back.

This is the third time Iā€™ve made it this far, only to be beaten in the final stages. They do say three times is a charmā€¦

8 Likes

Good luck. if I recall 4th planet was a nightmare, stormsā€¦got lifted by Tornado, Electrocuted, constant sentinels up holeā€¦attacked from triggered event in space trying to get away from sentinels lolā€¦but got my storm crystals dammit!

4 Likes

So I finally got the flute. And there, alone, drifting in the inky void, I played it.

The ancient melody drifted out among the stars, and it was heard. It was recognised.

Slowly they came. Distant at first, then closer, their shapes gradually becoming recognisable. Their huge size disguised by the lack of reference points. And finally, they halted alongside.

Four vast Japanese factory ships.

10 Likes

So it looks like we DONT need to have the optional missions unlocked to claim the Leviathan frigate and it seems it was a bug. The recent update now made it possible to claim the Leviathan reward without the need to complete the optional milestones.

I collected the frigate and I noticed a few things. Not exactly a spoiler but going to blur it out anyways: The frigate looks awesome. Its an S-class exploration vessel and it does well as a trader ship too. Just like the Normandy, it seems to be invincible. Speaking of the Normandy, it seems to be a reskinned Normandy as looking at it from a command room, it shows the Normandy hologram(or maybe thatā€™s just a default hologram, who knows) Also, as expected, shooting the Leviathan will make standard frigate siren sounds and flash red as if there are invisible frigate red lights on it.

6 Likes

Correct. So, what do the optional missions unlock? What is the community bar filling for?

3 Likes

The optional missions, so far, help other players struggling to beat the expedition.

But what happens at 100%? No idea. I just hope its not nothing. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Thank you for the heads up. I had finished everything but getting the Leviathan Friday night but hadnā€™t loaded up since.

Also as opposed to many sentiments Iā€™ve seen here, I thought it was fun and interesting having a more challenging expedition (a bit of support for occasional challenge seeking in case HG actually reads these opinions.)

8 Likes

I aggree! I really liked this expedition, it put game into No Manā€™s Sky. In all of the previous expeditions there would be a handful of videos and articles waiting before the update even downloaded to my system. You could walk or race through them without thinking about it. ICE and I would set our own handicap to make them more interesting. In this one you needed to plan some strategies, and if you died you got rolled a new start and had to rethink that strategy. Iā€™ve played through this one twice, neither are the same. In one I ended up at anchor 4 without any heat shield, that was rough. And the idea of allowing optional bonuses to dial back the pressure a bit is a neat touch.

5 Likes

9 Likes

Itā€™s odd, Iā€™ve seen several pirates attack against the buildings I was in or walking out of, and they never damaged anything, just symbolic little fires popped up? I must have the opposite type of desync that Polyphemus hasā€¦

Also, the Minotaur is a nice helper, when monstrocities spawn, he deals with them. Works probably also against sentinels but I havenā€™t tried that yet.

One thing that I donā€™t like is that any task on a high-sentinel planet is a complete write-off. I havenā€™t found any sentinel map (among the glass shards) to switch them off, and Iā€™m losing my patience. The other loot from the glass shards was useful though.

Also a warning, for the milestone where you need 5 storm crystals etc. it only counts if you harvest the items, gaining them as mission rewards doesnā€™t count. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes