ETARC PC HUB - Assistance Request

How about me trying this.
Is it okay to claim a Home Base on this planet? If only temporary to construct a Home Base Hamster Wheel with the base building structures. Could be a community farm thing. I could then abandon the Hamster Home Base but would the structure remain that can be visited by other players? It would be fun to try building a wheel.

1 Like

You can only have one base per game - but you can have up to five games. There can only be one active base per planet for any given game mode.

If you claim a base, anything you build within the base perimeter should be visible to other players on the same system (PC Steam, PC GOG, or PS4) and in the same mode (Creative, Normal, Survival, Permadeath). You need to have base sharing turned on.

I only know that applies to base buildings. I’ve never tried it with terrain manipulation. In my experience, terrain manipulation degrades between saves anyway, and eventually becomes unrecognisable.

If you abandon the base, and claim another, everything in your first base is destroyed, leaving it free for others to claim.

For myself, I don’t mind if you claim the base temporarily, but I’d rather you didn’t do it permanently. It’s the capital system, and it took us a long time to set it up.

If you claim your own system in the hub, you can name you own choice of planet Mr Noodles, and you can play with the bases there to your heart’s content, without bothering anyone. :smiley:

1 Like

This bug with another players name showing up in your ships cockpit etc has been going for quite some time. My first encounter with it was when I had just started using the PC version of NMS (last june 2017) and using an app called NMSConnect for charting all my discoveries, it was known (or at least at the time, people assumed it was the app) to cause this error for players but now I’m thinking it’s something deeper rooted in how base sharing works.

As @Mad-Hatter pointed out, he had a similar problem with my survival base planets name not showing as being discovered, however I dunno if my name appeared in his ship HUD. As far as memory serves, I’ve only heard of this Incorrect Usernamebug being reported by PC players

edit* Ignore all the above, I think I misunderstood what I was seeing in that small picture that shows “mr noodle ECSD” with “Polyphemus” next to it.

2 Likes

Ha ha Like the bad kid next door in Toy Story! I’m fine with that. Temporarily then I’ll fiddle with a hamster wheel build while the base is ‘free’ like an ’ artist in residence’ sort of thing lol.
You can claim it back for the ECSD at any time. I’ll be happy with a screen pic of fond memories ‘at home with Mr Noodles’.

Sooo for a giggle let’s see. Hmmm where to begin…

There’s an idea - invite some real artists to make a creative base every six months or so perhaps for a charity, the publicity would be cool for the charity cause, NMS and of course ECSD. A real cool means to visit the Firefly Chain, the capital and all see all the efforts all of you who have organised pioneering a collective experience for NMS players.

5 Likes

I like the idea of arthouse installations in NMS :slight_smile: Any big Machinima artists out there we could lure in? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I like the idea. Although I probably wouldn’t do it on Mr Noodles - it’s a pretty harsh and hostile place. We have several other, more hospitable, planets we could use.

But that’s getting ahead of ourselves. The next job on the agenda is the capital base. At the moment we’re only at the point of testing the viability of temporary structures. Once we’re happy we have bases people can actually see and use, then we can move on to actual designs. And the PS4 people should be involved in that.

I am at the Edison Capital Base in Creative Mode PC right now, This is what I see:

:sob:

2 Likes

Thanks for the report. Yes, that’s what @johnnycloud found on his last visit. But not on the one before. I think we need to do a little more study before we do anything drastic.

However, if it does turn out that we can’t have both the creative and normal bases on the same planet, we’ll just have two capital planets. I’ll name the planet next door “Edison Creative”, and we’ll build the base there.

But that’s for the future. Let’s find out what’s going on with the base we have, first.

2 Likes

I’ll just mention something not many people are aware of…

The game caches the most recently visited player base and will not reload that base if you visit a base and that base is in the cache, presumably to cut down on unnecessary data transfers. This means that if you are tweaking your base and are expecting those who have already visited your base to see the change, the visiting player will have to visit some other base first and then return to flush the old base out of the cache.

I realize this may not explain the strange things reported in this thread but it seems like knowledge of this cache might help while debugging the problems reported here.

4 Likes

Thanks @Waldo3000, that’s extremely helpful. It will certainly be something to look into.

1 Like

Well finally due to pressure from Mr Noodles, Frankie and Benjy Mouse Construction Limited have at last nibbled their way to building the promised Pan Dimensional Mouse Wheel Retreat for Mr Noodles on his home planet.

A dizzying playground for Mr Noodles to climb about on during downtime of the ARG and for any poor mouse exhausted from the busy demands working on the No Man’s Sky ARG.

Oh and if you like cheese, if it still exists, there is that terrain manipulated lump not far away to find …

Planet: Mr Noodles ECSD in the ETARCIA ECSD system Euclid Galaxy.
Creative Mode on PC.

ETARCIA%20ECSD%20address

Should also be available in the Steam Workshop, titled Mr Noodle’s Playground -ETARCIA ECSD. If you can’t see it in the workshop, load another workshop base to clear the cache then re-load Mr Noodles again.

6 Likes