[ETARC HUB]: Location Discussion- POLL CLOSED

But the old Galactic Hub was a ways out, wasn’t it? My concern was more about how “discovered” the area was, not running into people. I want to see ETARC’s name (or whatever we choose) when I look at stars :blush: I should ask, you aren’t suggesting we have the Hub right up next to the haze, are you?

2 Likes

At the center, it’s pretty much just the stars you can select the center from that are discovered (I’ve been there twice on separate saves). You only have to back up a couple stars from the center to find an undiscovered one. The Haze Zone is a sphere several thousand light years in diameter; it would be very difficult for us to discover all the stars in all the regions surrounding it.

And when I say difficult, I mean unlikely to occur in the remaining history of the human race.

3 Likes

that i find about having us at the center.
is the amount of stars around the center.
it will be the easiest way to know where the group is at
if you make it to the center than you will see ETARC
know you are in the right location.
It would be way cool having all regions at the center ETARCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!
lol

3 Likes

Area around core is pretty undiscovered. Only doorway systems and stars close to them - are discovered.
Area, which I’m exploring right now is not discovered at all, even though it is located next to core (doorway system is one jump away) and DTC hub.

When I arrived at the center, I had to make several jumps around the core to reach the desired area.
Core has so called haze zone - about 6000 ly in radius. In this zone there are no star systems.
Since people are mostly reaching core from sides, top and bottom areas of 15000 ly in diameter are mostly undiscovered.

There is enought place for 10 hubs, like galactic hub in size without creating overpopulation issues.

4 Likes

Excellent. I never made it to the old Galactic Hub, so I have no real idea how big it was (is). The area around the core is sounding better and better. There is still one down side.

The area around the core, the “land of 8s” as I call it, is somewhere near: 0800:0080:0800:XXXX. With 8 as a maximum value, you would need the first 9 glyphs to easily base hop there, which is more than half. That is going to have an effect on who can get there (myself included, only have 4).

2 Likes

I’m fine with the haze zone. I’ve created a new character and will be joining you guys and gals ASAP.

1 Like

Try converting this to glyphs - 0801:0081:0800:0001.
It requires three glyphs only, since ‘8’ is encoded with the second glyph.

Galactic hub is 3x3x3 regions, which is roughly 3000x3000x3000 ly in size.

1 Like

Hmm. I assume the 8s get translated to another number when you convert from hex to glyph. Seems like the more I learn, the less I know :thinking: Why would HG make it so easy to reach the core?

You are correct, that would be an easy address to reach. I think I have enough glyphs to make it there now, so I will take a look. If anyone is in the area and can scout things out, go ahead and start. Things are coming along nicely here guys. I will get some polls up for this weekend.

2 Likes
2 Likes

@Xion4012 ,

If you are starting a game just to get to the hub then you can with the first glyph get within thousands of LY instead of 100’s of Thousands. Then you can explore to find other players discoveries. with 2 glyphs you can actually get to a specific location just above or bellow the central area of the Galaxy that doesn’t error out.

Without all 16 though part of the galaxy will always be unaccessible to you because you need the Triangle Glyph which is basically 15 on a number scale from 0 to 15. This is needed to simulate negative Coordinates from center in all 3 of the dirrections X,Y, and Z. Though they do use anything above the 8th glyph to the 15 glyph to do that you will have holes in where you go.

In the X and Z directions this is not noticeable but in the Y which is the up and down of the Galaxy, with most systems within a very small value, it is.

Happy Exploring :slight_smile: :star2:

2 Likes

So I decided to use your example to make my way to the core. You only need 3 gylphs, but it gave me an error and dropped me somewhere close (~5000ly to core). Were you aware of what’s on the other side?

Seems like a happening spot, yet there was an unclaimed base less than a minute away (by exocraft). Which makes it a prime shortcut for players. I’m trying to scout the local systems, but I have NO hyperdrive upgrades, so it’s slow. I’ll provide an update soon.

4 Likes

Yes, I knew about the error and that in the end it will approximate to some popular meeting point.
I have discovered it on occasion, when was trying to find some system near the center, that could be used as an entry point.
I do not know to which hub or community this meeting point belongs to. Google got me zero results.
If we use it - we must comply with usual approach turn off base sharing, claim base for moving in and immediately claim base in a new system in that region. To avoid blocking the entrance point.

1 Like

That is an outdated statement unfortunately, originally the algorithm was designed so the less earthlike things would be clustered around the centre more so than the outskirts, but this didn’t really work well in terms of balancing and gameplay so thats when things got changed around with star colours and warp drive restrictions and they opted for that method instead.

You could notice this change during development with the way sean started rephrasing it from “near the centre” to “as you journey to the centre”

So technically things do get stranger and more alien as you head towards the centre, but only in the sense that you gain access to newer star types as you journey and grow (but not necassarily towards the centre).

2 Likes

To whom it may concern,

The Galaxy Doctinawyra appears to be full of pirates.

In less than 5 secs when entering a new system I am being scanned by pirates.

It also appears as I am traveling that each galaxy has an iteration of the Atlas, a special emphasis.

5 Likes

What do you mean by each galaxy having its own iteration of the Atlas?

regarding the increase in pirate attack rates, I wonder which of the new Galaxy types that would fit into?

1 Like

one of the galaxy had 80% to 100% extreme planets

2 Likes

I believe both of these would fall under the “vicious” category.

1 Like

Attention everyone

We have discussed two major features for our Hub: Quadrant and Distance to Core. There have been good points made on all sides. I will be putting together a polls for both questions. Make sure you read all the posts made previously, and please make your opinions and ideas known. The more info we share the more informed our decision will be. Polling will begin Friday, and end the following Sunday (9 days).

Also, I’m having trouble deciding how to structure the DTC poll. Any ideas would be a great help. I’m thinking maybe an option of ranges? (>500k, 500k-300, 300-100 etc.)

5 Likes

700 to 500 K is begining areas.
so 350K is aprox half way point
under 100K is still 10 jumps away
if we want 1 jump then needs to be 10K or less

consider
Greater than 500k
500K to 100K for a group
Less than 50K

3 Likes

So it’s Friday, and that means it’s poll time. We will be voting on Quadrant and Distance to Core this time. Please cast your vote when you are ready. After voting, please continue through the post, as a new update needs to be addressed.

The quadrant poll is simple. Space is a bit big to be worrying about neighbors, but keep it in mind here.
Hub Map-Branflaks

• Alpha
  • Beta
  • Gamma
  • Delta

0 voters

For the DTC poll I have decided to use broad ranges, except for the core.

• Greater than 500,000 light years
  • 500k-100k
  • 100k-10k
  • Less than 10k

0 voters

Finally, we need to address the recent discovery by @Mad-Hatter. He has found a most unusual star formation. This is an excellent candidate for the Hub. For anyone who hasn’t seen it yet:
https://forums.atlas-65.com/t/study-of-the-firefly-star-chain-cluster-anomaly/3382?u=xion4012

Personally, I love it. It’s strange and fantastic. Just what we’re looking for. What does everyone else think?

5 Likes