Etarc Hub Is Open

Do we Have the coordinates for the whole star chain?
If not, If I go into creative mode and retrieve them will I ended up the discover of a lot of the planets and systems?
I don’t want to do that, everyone should grab a planet/ system or two.

“Why do you ask?”, you ask. Well, the crew working on the logo may want it modeled to add it to the logo and I thought it would be fun to start with the Star chain then the rest of the systems. Maybe useful.

I plan on using the Pilgrim star path app to get the XYZ coordinates, that is unless someone knows and can explain the math to convert the hex to xyz. This would save me some time.

1 Like

If you need to convert the portal address into galactic XYZ coordinates this site can do that very easily.

1 Like

@Sir_oops Between the hub residents and The Spacing Guild over 1000 locations have been found and discovered in the Hub locale.
You are pretty safe to explore anything with the suffix ‘ECSD’ or an obviously non-generic name. We have a few systems in the star chain pending decisions for our capital which are not uploaded.
Use the ETARC HUB IS OPEN thread to get a portal address or the co-ordinates.
I have a Normal and a Creative save both residing in the hub.

1 Like

Sorry, by xyz i meant Cartesian coordinate system.

1 Like

Gotcha, sorry misunderstood. Can’t help you with that unfortunately…

2 Likes

Alright, its probably best if I wait then, I wanted to start with the chain.

1 Like

There is no harm in visiting any location. The issues occur when you upload the data.

As long as you don’t go into your menu and manually upload your discoveries, systems you visit remain “undiscovered”. You are fully free to explore any location in the star chain relatively worry free.

Just stay as clear as possible from your “upload all” button. I’ve had nightmares about accidentally hitting that thing and claiming the whole chain :cold_sweat:

EDIT: I’m no mathematician, but the signal booster coordinates are “cartesian”. If I can recall correctly, the pattern is X:Z:Y:W, where xyz are your 3d coordinates (I think w is a planetary marker).

1 Like

@Xion4012 Doesn’t it record a date stamp of the time it was discovered? That means that anyone who discovers a system after it was first discovered & not uploaded will lose their discovery when the original discoverer eventually uploads their data.
I found this out after discovering a system that was inhabited offline and then later brought online. The name and the discoverer changed.
Any mode works for discoveries too doesn’t it? Normal, survival, creative, etc but is separated over pc /ps4.
I’d be very nervous about having a massive list of non-uploaded discoveries in my menu that could effectively wipe the hub chain.

1 Like

One of the major problems here is the use of vocabulary. “Discover”, “claim”, and “upload” all mean the same thing to me. It occurs when you enter your menu and either upload the location manually, or “upload all discoveries”.

(Some of this is speculation)
When you visit a system, your gaming device requests data from the NMS servers, the server then sends back the information. If location information has not uploaded to the server by another player, it can’t be requested. I noticed this when traveling the Hub, locations that our scouts thoroughly explored were completely undiscovered. They always say “you discovered this” when entering, even if the system had been visited before. The information will only appear to other players if the data has been uploaded by another player.

If not, CrossID would own most of the chain :rofl:

2 Likes

For me I use the term ‘discover’ in the context that ‘I’m the first’ (unless it is the generic bit that pops up on screen the first I enter any system and it will now appear in my list).
I use the term ‘claim’ when I decide to officially take possesion: be it a base or by uploading my finds or names.
I consider ‘uploading’ simply to be the process by which I make a claim.
I try to never have many unclaimed/non-uploaded in my menu due to the risk of accidentally claiming/uploading them.
My prefered method for invisible investigations is to perform a hardsave, then warp about, look around, take note, then reload back at my previous save leaving things as if I never went exploring.
Admittedly, I’m old school and typically have a notepad beside me to jot down things should something in particular get my interest.

1 Like

I prefer the “old school” as well, I wrote down all the information I gathered from the Hub. However, I very rarely upload anything I discover. I tried naming things when I got to the Hub, but all 3 times it has come back to bite me in the a**. Never again…

I have yet to figure out exactly how the new save system works. The non-auto save file I have is from 2 weeks ago.

2 Likes

LOL. I had somehow gotten the impression long ago that if I was the first to “discover” then I would be the only one able to name/upload. There were some pretty strange system names showing up in the neighboring clusters and I was hoping to hold the chain down for ECSD capitol, etc. Turns out I was wrong :grinning:

3 Likes

I had forgot that system coordinates where in hexadecimals. I remember reading some where how to convert it long hand, but no need for google docs spreadsheet has a function for converting hexadecimals to decimals.

I have collected the coordinate data and done a little research.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wXEG4hgwqhMsdVTlw-bSkFVFlQE53ssNF_BK7_6XBj8/edit?usp=sharing

Looks like the hexadecimal coordinates only gets you to a box in space containing a group of stars. So converting the xyz to decimal isn’t accurate enough to map the chain. The 4th Hex in the series (the W) is called Solar System Index in the code. There was some speculation that the index located the system with in the box the first 3 HEX coordinates located.

Anyways, maybe there is another in game way to map it. Red shifts out. Reality capture? There was a guy scaling planets by traveling the same time out backward from each planet. The only thing we have in the galactic map is the distance from center ( if its not rounded up to much) and the distance between stars. Could measure the angle between stars with a protractor. Thoughts?

1 Like

Personally, I’d be inclined to draw it all on paper using a chart plotting the chain and its stars locations from 2 points of view. Then I’d draw up a second series of system maps; one for each system, showing the central star and its planetary bodies with relevant information under each one.
You’d end up with about 160 pages (I think, I can’t remember the number of planets of the top of my head).
You could make a book! :crazy_face:

3 Likes

@alonemusic Dont spose you wanna make another sweet ass coffee table book? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Ha! One was hard enough (and available to pre-order now).
It would be great to somehow capture all of Waking Titian in something big and harback though, with maps and history and cool screenshots…

3 Likes

Would like to suggest while we’re exploring the systems of the star chain and adding to the star catalog, that we submit any capitol potentials for consideration. Then if we’re going to have a capitol, we should get on with the vote so its settled and we can proceed with other developments.

Or … Here’s a ‘crazy’ idea, rather than selecting a singular ‘capitol’ why not designate the entire star chain as our capitol zone? Then we can explore it for resources and amazing sights to be seen, record these finds in the star catalog for all to share. When hub residents want to do a ‘get together’ we can designate a meeting system/planet (not always the same one). Do we have to conform to the ‘Hub Norm’ by designating a capitol? :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I really like the non-conformist idea of NOT having an individual capital system and instead regarding the chain as our ‘centre’. Excellent concept!
We can still choose to name the remaining systems according to convention and include a few favourite names. We can have embassy systems, resource listings, residential adresses and heavily catalogue the whole chain (even the dud named ones) and simply have the largest capital zone of all the Euclid hubs.
Be a bit different.
The current system of voluntary leaders and listed systems is working great so lets just embrace it… and with a huge capital zone, there’s room for everyone.
Gets my vote!

2 Likes

I like the idea that the hub capitol is the whole chain. I thought if we expand we should claim other chains, Like @Oshoryu’s. Not the regions around us.

We could get a bunch of name suggestion vote for most popular, added in the ones we have decide already. then use @discobot to roll a 1d37ish die and assign names as rolled.

1 Like

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.