Element 5 unlocked

I took that to mean the solar flares were causing planetary eruptions

ā€œThe flare ejects clouds of electrons, ions, and atoms along with the electromagnetic waves through the Sunā€™s corona into outer spaceā€

-Wikipedia

Yesā€¦ where are you seeing gas in there?

The outer layer of a star is made of hydrogen? A gas

A gas at room temperature. A plasma at coronal temperatures. Itā€™s a bit like calling a mudslide a floodā€¦

^^^^THIS^^^^ We have no reason to be told of solar flares causing gas erruptions unless they happen elsewhereā€¦otherwise weā€™d just be told gas erruption burn you or literally anything elseā€¦as the solar flares would be our only concern, not the gas erruptionsā€¦and this is clearly refering to gas erruptions caused BY solar flaresā€¦NOT gas erruptions that cause solar flares.

3 Likes

IMHO, It doesnā€™t say ā€œsolar flaresā€, it says ā€œsolar glareā€. The ā€œglā€ at the start is pretty distinct.

6 Likes

sunglasses in NEXT :grin::clown_face:

1 Like

I was under the impression plasma was not a state of matter. Itā€™s ionized gas.

A flare is defined as a sudden, rapid, and intense variation in brightness. A solar flare occurs when magnetic energy that has built up in the solar atmosphere is suddenly released. Radiation is emitted across virtually the entire electromagnetic spectrum, from radio waves at the long wavelength end, through optical emission to x-rays and gamma rays at the short wavelength end. The amount of energy released is the equivalent of millions of 100-megaton hydrogen bombs exploding at the same time

2 Likes

Yes, I had that impression too. But then, thatā€™s not a very very good term, so Iā€™d like to be wrongā€¦ :slight_smile:

I was under the impression solids are not a state of matter. Theyā€™re liquids with very low viscosityā€¦ :wink:
Ok, that comparison might be a bit too tongue in cheek. The correct term for liquids with extremely low viscosity would be amorphic matter or something, if I remember right. Common window glass is one of them. Just goes to show that things arenā€™t quite as nicely separable as they seem sometimes.

In any case, yes, Plasma is widely viewed as the fourth aggregate state of matter. If you try to predict the behavior of plasma using gas dynamics, youā€™ll get burnt. As in, burnt to ashes within the blink of an eye, of things go badā€¦

Apart from that, the flare does not consist of Plasma. A plasma still suggests some kind of molecular cohesion. What you get in a solar flare are individual electrons and atoms flying around. They donā€™t really form any kind of overlying structure or bonds. Theyā€™re just an ill-defined mix of particles.

2 Likes

Plasma is the next state of matter when you add enough energy to it. Solid is lower energy, then it melts into liquid, then it evaoprates into a gas, then if superheated it becomes a strong electricity conducting form of matter we call plasma.

4 Likes

mmmmm, delicious Plasmaā€¦:drooling_face:

1 Like

If it says solar glare then basically the exact same thing as far as my point goesā€¦the definition of glare in reference to the sun is ā€œ(of the sun or an electric light) shine with a strong or dazzling lightā€ā€¦so intense solar heat causes gas to go boom elsewhereā€¦either on a planet or on a gas giant or some such.

What I take from this;

So apart from a few variations we have a recording that talks of solar activity causing gas eruptions and work crews that seem to assist with clean up and other tasks on very dangerous terrain.
There appears to be something to do with harvesting scrap and other materials and also something to do with planetary surveying.
There is talk of dangerous material transport and of a fleet including a mothership.

I wonder what parts of this may relate directly to new NMS content?
All very interesting.

1 Like

Yes. Itā€™s what causes comets to gas off, and produce tails.

@MacForADay: Here ya go :wink:

5 Likes

Just to speculate, but is that the voice of Elizabeth Leighton? What if she or an echo was uploaded/connected to the satellite? For some reason I believe ā€˜someā€™ -considering Simon was somewhat disappointed to get another ā€˜dreamā€™ first- are in an NMS simulation. Was this a NMS simulation report from Elizabeth using the W/ARE headset or full suit hook-up?

6 Likes

Hey! ETARC! Nep Nep here! I just got back from things and just found out that Tariq is dead. Any info on what happened?

1 Like

Right after the puzzle with the servers and backup servers was solved, a couple of servers were taken offline. As soon as this happened, Tariq died, which makes it look related. He was likely involved with those who corrupted some of the servers.

1 Like