Electricity and Piping 101

I get these same types of images at odd times. Mostly when entering a new system. Not sure why they appeaf.
The Hermetic Seal is craftable. It is the item you have to run through a raging storm for when starting a new game.
No idea why it appears with the magnetic generator.

5 Likes

Happens on PS4 too sometimes.
Some kind of icon glitch I’m guessing.

5 Likes

I think it’s the latest version of the “Big Ball” icon bug. :joy:

It used to lock up our atmospheric gathering machines (forget the name) if we opened too many of the green rust-encrusted boxes.

5 Likes

Incidentally I just tried the same set up in my base above over a class S hot spot and it generates over 5000kph. There are 16 EM generators right around the center, there are another 16 basically at a 120u radius away from the hotspot due to them being on the doughnut.

4 Likes

From twitter NMS Kibbles

6 Likes

I know how the door setup works, but it took me a darn long while to comprehend the analogy in that diagram… If it was just the lines with no words, it would have been easier :grin:

6 Likes

When did this happen?

I chose these lights because they did not need power…

5 Likes

That is why I chose them in a few bases as well. I considered them “solar”.

They worked well for landing pad markers for stormy planets. It looks like I will have to find power for them now.

5 Likes

This does not make me happy. More of those ugly wires all over the place.

I’ll just take mine down.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was reading the patch notes, grinning from ear to ear, until I hit that one… Felt like, “waiter, there’s a fly in my soup!”

Although amusingly I used the round ones on top of all my electricity poles, so I guess it wont be particularly inconvenient to power them. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

On the other hand, the garage type electric doors now work…

5 Likes

I assume we all know by now that using a Proximity Switch with a Power Inverter is the way to go when you want opening/closing doors.

Well, considering I had issues with some doors where an Exocraft is too close, interfering with the Proximity Switch, I had to come up with a different solution. I decided to use a Push Button instead, to then realise how much logic is involved to create enough of a delay to actually make it through the door. That setup, with in my opinion enough delay, required using 7 Auto Switches and a single Power Inverter. Of course once I got that working, I realised I was locked out on the other side once the doors closed again. So I also needed a 2nd Push Button on the other side of the door.

The above shows the easy to see layout, with the below image showing the result in my base, with buttons on both sides of the door in the back. Of course the wiring has been hidden as much as possible and I had to temp delete some tables to show the row of logic

Instead of buttons, I could have used Wall Switches as well of course. Once again, you’ll most likely want one on each side, which requires the logic below.

Note: In the above image, the middle connections of the Auto Switches go straight through them to be connected to the middle connections of the Power Inverters to the right.

And the winner is …

:yellow_heart: Proximity Switch (2 logic parts + wiring)
:white_heart: Wall Switches (6 logic parts + wiring)
:brown_heart: Push Buttons (10 logic parts + wiring)

10 Likes

Thank you for laying this out. I have been intending to get my doors wired up on my dozens of total bases, but the task seems daunting. By the time I get back to it, I will need to relearn how to do it (I can now come here to be reminded :+1:)

6 Likes

Tis why I refuse to build a base.

HG screwed things up thinking they would be great, I don’t think they would admit to such!!!

4 Likes

Some people enjoy that kind of challenge. I, personally, do not. Makes my head hurt even reading what @DevilinPixy shared above. :joy:

4 Likes

I generally enjoy that things need power now so there’s a more complex aspect to base building, but I’ll freely admit that having to go through this complicated wiring process to make a door work is overkill.

5 Likes

lol, and I don’t either.
I have found games (MMO’s) think PVP is great, I don’t
they say everyone likes it
I guess we who say we don’t like do not exist, are nobody’s, non-humans,

4 Likes

I created some logic that counts the amount of 4 Wall Switches that are turned ON. The result is displayed on a single 7 segment display.

I kept the amount of Wall Switches reasonably low, as difficulty appears to increase exponentially. Even with 4, it turned out more complicated than I thought, considering I can in this case not use a clock pulse with a binary counter.

Getting it to show on a single 7 segment display was pretty annoying considering the silly feedback loops you get at times…

Anyways, here is quick short video of the result.

Would love to discuss this some more with any of you logic nerds out there :wink:

9 Likes

Much more complex than anything I want to try! :heart:

Am I seeing it correctly? Are you having to manually switch the numbers, or is there a way to automate the count?

(I may have missed you saying something about it since I’ve had to keep the sound off for now.)

4 Likes

In this case you have to manually switch, which will then update the count of switches that are turned on. This is just a test setup, for which I may have plans. For example: you have 4 balls you have to each roll on a Floor Switch. It can then keep count how many are in place.

There is no audio, so you missed nothing.

7 Likes