Dreamers, Elizabeth, and Echo (Bottled Brains Optional)

Makes perfect sense and also explains why we can not see other players, or why the world is not persistent for that matter with other ‘orbs’ around. This, on a side note, makes me wonder how HG will fit in Multiplayer with a persistent world. Would that not result in being in the same iteration or at least being able to affect eachother’s iteration.

This is why I feel #231187661T is Telamon and ITERATION #2394829084924924924G was his rendition of the universe. The iteration ‘error’ seems to explain, he is no longer tied to his own iteration.

I am not quite sure how to explain the change of iteration with Artemis and after the important moment we had with Atlas in Act 3. This is what I am trying to figure out. Was ITERATION #2394829084924924925G our iteration, or possibly Artemis’? Why had it changed after the Atlas visit, who does it belong/refer to?

4 Likes

You know I’m starting to see the orbs more like ghost drivers in racing games. Generally on your second lap a ghost image of your first lap appears, and you race against your current best time. If you beat it, you then race against the new and improved ghost version of yourself.

I used to think all instances were happening simultaneously, which accounts for the breaches and the spilling over of travellers.

But it could just be the orbs we see are just our ghost laps from other iterations. However this does not explain how we can interact with past instances of ourselves, if every traveller is the same construct. So there’s still something funny happening with time there.

Honestly, I’ve no idea and what I’m really hoping for is some clarity on the matter in Next moreso than new features :joy:

Bit off-topic, but as for races, I wish we could create races in outer space as well.

2 Likes

Aren’t we basically spawning a new traveller when finishing the Atlas path, though?

Well, yes. I interpret a universe reset as being a new iteration, yes.

1 Like

But we don’t reset the universe in that case, we merely create a new star. I’m talking about finishing the Atlas path here, not the main story. That doesn’t really come with a built-in reset.

1 Like

There’s a point in your dealings with the Atlas, where it asks you to perform a reset. You get a choice of new galaxies, or you can choose not to perform the reset.

It may be the Purge, rather than the Atlas Path. It’s a long time since I did it.

2 Likes

Yes, that happens at the end of the Atlas RIses story. Just finishing the regular old Atlas Path will let you create a new star, on a planet of which according to the text a new traveller is born, but there’s no reset.

1 Like

I was thinking of this the other day. I have recently been taking advantage of the kindness of other travellers whom are offering up completed farms for us to visit. While I’m away, the plants growth is frozen in time, for me. In a persistent world, they would all continue to bloom even when I’m not there. HG are going to have to keep the simulation running, regardless of my presence, if they want to maintain a world like you would find in most other modern multi-player games.

2 Likes

But you can, when NEXT arrives!!

1 Like

Just a question I had has anyone been able to link the 12 titans of greek mythology to the 12 dreamers that we are trying to save wether it be their names the passcodes etc

The question is that the minds in the simulation are now corrupted…memories lost or distorted…some minds potentially gone, leaving behind empty bodies on life support…the task becomes a bit like trying to piece together shattered sheets of glass…just about impossible and even if you somehow manage it they’ll never be even remotely close to the same. So we’re left with questions like what gaps is Emily filling in herself? If she isn’t then how do the minds of the dreamers fill in the gaps as they try to remember lost memories? And the most important ones of all…can this tech be used to transfer someone’s consciousness from one body to another and is it really them or is it just a program designed to approximate their identity? This all started on the premise of letting people be able to speak to their dead loved ones but looks to be evolving into being able to potentially replace their living ones.

2 Likes

Oh crap!! I might have just had a bit of an epiphany…all of this focus on a story where we’re being told who the Atlas is that we kind of forget one simple thing…what the Atlas really is…the one that holds the world on his shoulders…but in the simulation nothing exists until we get there…literally…the code is there for it but nothing generates until we get there…not even the Atlas stations and the orbs we call the Atlas. Which means that the only ones to carry the world on their shoulders is us…are we being set up for a plot twist where we or Telamon are revealed to really be the Atlas and everything else is just illusion? Chasing after something that was literally with us all along?

This kind of hit me a bit as I remembered how Todd Howard described adjusting the Fallout 4 game engine to be able of supporting multiplayer…in that description he says that internally they always referred to the player character of Fallout 4 as the Atlas as the world could not exist without the player and that in order to make that viable for multiplayer they had to “disconnect the world from the Atlas”…all those same concepts ring true here…in NMS at the end as the Atlas is about to die the simulations merge…could it be that it is not just one world but many being torn from each of their Atlas?

I don’t know I’m just rambling but it sounds relevant…it sounds like there could be a connection in the philosophies by these two industry giants, Sean and Todd, and the story NMS is trying to tell…it feels like when the story of NMS will be completely done we will know what happens when the Atlas dies…about how at the end of all things the Atlas will no longer be alone.

5 Likes

I had a similar train of thought regarding plant growth. The simulation will have to persist without us present for MP to work properly, especially with this scale.

1 Like

Synchronicity zeitgeist!

New show/tv-movie/netflix-thingy…

2 Likes

Looks like a newer version of Portal…but in real life. Also looks to be a toned-down horror show…so I’ll pass. I don’t like horror movies/shows. Real Life is already filled with too much horror…I don’t need to see it in fiction.

TQQdles™

2 Likes

I watched it the other day, It’s not awful (like I thought it might be). My takeaway from it was about how an Ai’s interaction’s might define its behaviour…with a bit of gore thrown in.

2 Likes