Derelict Freighter in space?

Hello everyone, I was using my pulse engine to get to my freighter when I got a message, that something was happening nearby and I should cancel my pulse drive if i wanted to see it. I did so, and there was a massive derelict freighter in space in front of me, floating around. There was a red icon, i’m not sure which one specifically, so I headed towards it. But then I got hit by a hostile scan by space pirates, and right before I got to the red icon, the wreck completely disappeared.

I tried to do some online research to see what this was, but not coming up with anything. Does anyone know?

3 Likes

Seems to be an issue happening every once in a while. Currently you can’t do anything with derelict freighters other than look at them, so it’s not that big of an issue. You’ll find another one.

5 Likes

Thanks for the info!

3 Likes

@caphe: I changed the category for this topic to ‘NMS Beyond - Help A Fellow Traveler’

Hopefully we will be able to get some action with those freighters with a future update. I can imagine all kinds of cool things they could do with them.

3 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Yes the wrecked freighters have the same issue that regular freighters had for a while. They vanish as you approach them. Does not happen all of the time though.

4 Likes

True, though I’ve encountered two types so far. Most I’ve seen are purely scenery, no interactivity. One, however, was much more like the planetary crashed freighters. I could blow up a bunch of those damaged panels with my fighter, and could see the cargo containers inside. Too bad I couldn’t land anywhere and spacewalk over to them to see what goodies they contained!

6 Likes

It was a holographic projection of a freighter that the pirates used to make you stop so they could mug you :fearful: :wink:

9 Likes

Some of the wreckage is nicely detailed. There’s obviously been some thought gone into this.

With careful flying, I was able to enter the docking bay. I couldn’t land, though. There was nothing in the wreck I could interact with.

An added complication - I was attacked by pirates while I was inside the wreck. Well, I don’t want life to get boring, do I?

7 Likes

It seems like these wreck freighters are all I get now when traveling around. In fact, all my systems have been dead, abandoned, or just plain lifeless. I must be in a dead part of the galaxy. It’s kinda scary when you get 3 or more of these things in one system, see there is no dominant life, and the stations are abandoned… :sweat:
And being in creative for all these pictures, I wasn’t attacked by pirates, so that just added to the eeriness. :no_mouth:

Freighter grave yard.

These first three are all the same wreckage site.

This one was pretty intact.

This one was the most fun to explore around.

This was all that was left of this one.

Poor freighters… :slightly_frowning_face:

7 Likes

It was one of my wishlist items to find derelict freighters in space.
Wish granted says HG.
Now I see them for myself, there is something quite sad about them, drifting broken & silent through the darkness. :hushed:
Be careful what you wish for I guess.
That mysterious half-freighter is particularly sombering.

7 Likes

Maybe with the system showing (abandoned) by the race from a massive war is the cause of the derelic freighters?

Quite interesting indeed …

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum @StarTwister!

3 Likes

Thank you! Very happy to be here amongst fellow travellers!

5 Likes

From me to. :grinning:

3 Likes

We were waiting for you @StarTwister haha :grin:
Welcome to the most friendly forum ever!

5 Likes

Your wait is over – I’M HERE!!! :rosette:

6 Likes

I’m new to the game so correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe some wrecked freighters have cargo ships can destroy

7 Likes

Yeah, you mean a container floating with it that gives some resources when destroyed? I noticed that too once. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Luckythegolden.
Yes. Some freighters wrecked in space now have cargo containers you can loot.

2 Likes