Datamining (Maximum Spoilers)

not sure. boxes, one with a visual bounding area to ensure you know where it its. maybe it is meant to be an invisible trigger? FX?..but for now 2 ugly boxes lol

2 Likes

Yes. It is called the Industrial Pump and it came to the game in the Frontiers update. They show up in the settlements and you can build them. They make a bit of noise and smoke/steam (though they look like the electric pumps that we use on irrigation sprinklers, smoke would be bad :slight_smile: )

9 Likes

Ahh I was wondering where Iā€™d seen it, thanks for the reference :sweat_smile:
Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s just a placeholder then? I donā€™t think the materials loaded properly when I was checking the model out, so Iā€™ll try and see if I can find out whatā€™s unique about this test

2 Likes

Weirdā€¦ Model viewer had materials enabled, so Iā€™m guessing the model just isnt textured?

2 Likes

Since it mentions hologram, my guess is that this is a test mesh for the new build visualization. From the update page:

While building on a freighter, preview holograms can now be seen through walls , making it easier to see exactly where a part will be placed.

The texturing for this visualization is probably all shader based.

4 Likes

I believe all the references where shader based when I looked.

3 Likes

Looks like a distillery on its side. Are we going to get space booze to go with our nip nip?

4 Likes

Slightly different note from 4.0 speculation, hereā€™s a really old unused UI that was probably the original Pre Release UI style. Looks a lot like IMGUI, which they use for their dev tools. Looks really cool either way, Iā€™d love this back as some sorta cheat menu, or a special Atlas Interaction.

6 Likes

Makes sense, as IMGUI seems to be about the only agnostic UI framework in C++ (not that agnostic UI frameworks would be very common in other languagesā€¦) and they have their own engine, so IMGUI would have allowed them postponing developing their own UI until a lot later in development, which is worth a whole lot.
I wouldnā€™t go as far as to say that Iā€™d want that replacing the UI they built later, thoughā€¦

5 Likes

Yea would hate this as a replacement of the current system, but looks like it could be a fun lil Easter egg for certain situations. 2015 Atlas was definitely a lot of of a hands on computer, rather than our all seeing Super AI :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Just got around converting all the textures (DDS) to PNG in game. Based on Similar Code used for the ICONS I extract, but now loops through 57 friggin PAK files ā€¦extracted was 12gbā€¦as pngā€¦12GBā€¦

Not even sure why I wanted these lol, but

What did I learn? Thereā€™s a chicken and monkey texture lol ā€¦nothing newā€¦but new to me lol

4 Likes

Chickens in NMSā€¦I like it. Eggs benedict, sunny side up, over easyā€¦ :chicken: I am sure Vyā€™Keens would line up every morning in the mess hall ready for their helping.

2 Likes

Au contraire. I think Vyā€™keens want their meals live and squirming (a la Klingons).

4 Likes

Perhaps but, having run a Vyā€™Keen settlement for some time now, I have found them to be quite refined and given to rather romantic prose. I believe the Gek would be more likely to down a raw egg. :smile: :nauseated_face:

4 Likes

its a hell of a chicken color lol:

BODY
CHICKENBODY

HEAD
CHICKENHEAD

guess it was used for testing Antelops
TEXTURES\PLANETS\CREATURES\ANTELOPERIG\TWOLEGCHICKENBODY.BASE.FUR.NORMAL.DDS

4 Likes

So looking more into the whole Spring Attachment stuff, I found additional references in:
PLAYERCHARACTER.ENTITY

Seems this is where the game is storing cape cloth physics, where attached to player, gravity effect etcā€¦noticed there is a reference for cloth skirts?..not new apparentlyā€¦

So from everything I can see this whole, 4 parts head, pouch, damper and tail will clearly be something attached to the playerā€¦and Iā€™m still picturing kangaroo / mario tail suitā€¦

images

4 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Datamining (Maximum Spoilers)

The forum has new categories to reflect the major 4.0 NMS update called Waypoint.
This topic is continued here:

2 Likes