CSD Games/Tumbleweed

Sounds like an issue with Linux to get characters doubled, same with the resulting email, or shifted keys.

No idea how I would troubleshoot that issue, as I do not use Linux, and Unity builds the Linux version for me. I am not able to dive back in either, as I currently have no access to my main computer due to renovations taking place. Hopefully I will be able to get back by the end of June, once all should be back to normal again.

Sounds nothing out of the ordinary to me, you should be fine for that matter. You probably triggered a shader effect doing fun stuff :wink:

Edit:
The below linked issue appears similar, which is a Unity bug for which there may be a workaround?

Might actually have been fixed retrospectively in 2017.4.x and later versions. Updating Unity could solve the issue if plugins allow. Currently Unity 3017.3.0f3.

5 Likes

It was a common problem with the Linux unity version. Shroud of the avatar had problems with it too. There are plenty of posts about it.

3 Likes

I assumed that; this was mostly FYI and to suggest a workaround for anyone else that may see the same problem. If I were to make a guess it would be that the dual values in the key events from X11 were both being processed, X likes to send the intermediate ‘raw’ key events (keycode, games like these) and the ‘cooked’ version (keysym, input box friendly), this would explain why the first character doesn’t show the shift modifier. I don’t know for sure, and it looks like they worked it out anyway. If I can get a few moments I’ll look to see if I can overlay a new version of Unity (never played with that engine, most of my work was with plain OpenGL et.al.)

As if I wasn’t confused enough . 3am, rolling along trying to beat the clock and … oh, pink, I wonder what that does… :crazy_face:

As for the game itself. I had a few minutes to spare so I started in… four and a half hours later I realized that the few minutes I had were long gone. :smiley:

5 Likes

What? Is something happening right now that is ARG related at all?

3 Likes

No. (at least not that I have detected anyway). This thread started as a reemerging memory of an imaginary (?) company and their Tumbleweed game. The company and the game were used to enrich the story behind the ARG that has now long past. During this conversation some of us (me at least) learned that the game was real, and fondly remembered. My comment addresses the ‘could it, should it’ be revived. I can not answer that question directly (I don’t know all the circumstances and it not my place) but I could offer the thought that the secrecy of being a game behind the curtain of another game has lifted and that some of us here (or others) might be useful.

Since this note I have played the game until it ended (or I got stuck, it is hard to tell the difference). It took me approximately 6 hours to complete the first time through, but knowing the path would make it faster the second time. I’m not a game reviewer but I can say that the time went fast, and it was over before I was ready for it to end.

5 Likes

Thank you for some insight. I have not and tried any of these games yet, so I would not know how they play. The games look like they could be places where secrets or answers would be hiding tho… So I need to know for certain if Anything ARG is happening with No Man’s Sky right now.

3 Likes

Let us be clear about this.

During Waking Titan, Alice & Smith asked us to form a group to act as an imaginary games studio, and we did. Given the time scales involved (a couple of weeks), it was obvious that we were never intended to produce a real game. Nevertheless, we decided to try. This was our decision - not that of Alice & Smith or Hello Games.

The bottom line is that Tumbleweed is a product of the group who worked on it. By far the greatest contribution came from @DevilinPixy, but there were many other people who contributed ideas, assets, and time.

Neither Hello Games nor Alice & Smith made any contribution to Tumbleweed. It does not contain any secrets relating to either the past, or any possible future, ARG. It does not contain any secrets relating to No Man’s Sky.

Whether you choose to download and play Tumbleweed is up to you, but you have my assurance that if there ever is a future ARG, playing Tumbleweed will not spoil it.

8 Likes

You’re obviously not very good at this whole marketing thing… :laughing:

4 Likes

Actually, to take a leaf from the conspiracy theorist’s book, if you want to hype something, a very effective strategy is to deny it.

“There MUST be flying saucers at Area 51 - otherwise, why would the government go to the trouble and expense of employing people to say there aren’t?”

6 Likes

Here is the entire ARG

Out of all of the ‘games’ developed for the ARG, Tumbleweed is the only one I know of that chose to mirror the ARG itself. W/ARE tech was the inspiration behind the company history and the game. Kudos to us. :smile:

5 Likes

However, in our reality, the original 1920s inventor of the WARE technology was Professor Popocatapetl. And he was ours, and ours alone. :grinning:

5 Likes

Yes! Dear old Pop! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Thank you for this.

4 Likes

These are the kinds of comments that make me question who or what is worth listening to.

4 Likes

lol. I want a copy of that handbook.

3 Likes

As said before, a proper ending has not been implemented yet, although I had been working towards it. There would currently no longer be any new content once you reach all Megaliths (N/E/S/W) and the ones in between (NE/SE/SW/NW) during the Tumbleweed sessions. This would fully turn on all the devices in the Facility.

More content had been created, but was not ready for a next update yet, There were certainly plans for more content and an ending, in fact, multiple endings, including a bad ending.

5 Likes