Capitalist Ambitions - How To Make Money in 1.3?

When 1.36 will be live, as they changed the value (and %) of the trade item, it’s valuable before leaving a system to fill your hauler with the best ressource as possible (i.e a -27% 40k item) and chose the best next system to sale it. You need the economy scaner when on the galactic map. the best “trade road” seems to be:
Group 1:
Red → Orange → Yellow → Blue → Red

Group 2:
Dark Blue → Green → Purple → Dark Blue

(prices are now different but you can find items and resarch at https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/6tsy0u/system_economy_colors_interstellar_trade/ )

It’s possible to double the investment.

I would like to throw in my 2cents. Although this will not make you rich, it is a nice. You can make money just exploring and scanning. I have all of the fauna scanner upgrades and am only lacking the +3 flora scanner. I just left a 6 planet system. When I entered that system, I had 121 million credits. I landed on each planet and scanned everything. 5 of the planets had fauna, I would stay and explore the planet until I discovered all of them. The final planet gave me an issue, there were 5 and I had only found 4 but was getting bored looking…so I bailed, just being honest. LOL Anyway, I finally renamed and uploaded all the info and left the system with 136 million in credits. That is not to shabby and it’s something you can casually do as you are exploring a planet… I find it leads to more exploring which isn’t a bad thing.

4 Likes

Totally unconnected but managed to buy 572 pieces of Omegon last night for around 20,000 units.

Just thought it might help those looking for this rare resource.

At least it’s better than it was. I uploaded a galaxy’s worth of scanning in early 1.3. now I wish I’d waited as I only got about 3mil in total.

it wasn’t an exhaustive set of scans, as I was moving rapidly through the galaxy, but it was at least a couple of hundred systems.

now you can make the same amount of money out of a single planet :smiley:

So, just to get my head round it. Apologies in advance for all the questions!

If I had 4 domes all connected like a square (two doorways in each) that produce Gamma Root and Coprite plants to make the Lubricant, and I grew the Frostwort outside, how much Living Glass would that get me and how much would I get for it in the correct market? Roughly?

And using the above numbers, how much Frostwort would I need to grow outside on my ice-cube world.

I could build bigger but I am reluctant to completely destroy my base!

I believe each dome would supply 1 LG worth of Lubricant. So 4 LGs worth.

5 plants = 1 Glass.
So you will need 20 plants (but bear in mind they are fast growing so half would work as I think the growing time is about half of the other materials).
Depends on how much you are going to be around.
Use the crafting menu to find values but remember over time the local market goes down so you need to consider your choices of less money selling local vs more trekking about getting good sales.
Check my maths too as I havent got the consol on at the moment.

1 Like

Thanks @Mad-Hatter, I read somewhere on here that the initial sell of ‘something’ they got about 12m for, then the price dropped and got around 8m thereafter. I could handle that sort of exponential price drop to save trekking. Obviously I’m sure they were dealing in larger quantities however so maybe not the best example.

Ok so 10 plants outside and four Bio-domes full with two doors in each filled with the other two to make my Living Glass.

I’ll let you know how I get on :slight_smile: Very helpful thank you.

1 Like

@PackRat If I am not mistaken, they will have the Dynamic Resonator ‘abuse’ fixed with the upcoming update.

@Oshoryu I have yet to figure out how price drop and raise works, but after just having sold 165 Living Glass at a Trading post for 709,342.5 per piece, the price dropped to 358,128.0 per piece. Made a nice amount though :wink:

Why even bother with that? It’s terrible at making units…if someone really wants to waste time on that let them lol.

I am not bothered at all with how others play the game. I would just be happy to see big flaws in the economy system fixed. This works with every item, although less profitable, just makes no sense.

2 Likes

Thanks @DevilinPixy for the info, I’ll get a small farm together and stockpile Living glass so I get more bang for my buck when I sell. I don’t do a massive amount of warping around but when I do, I’ll now have something to take with me.

Not quite sure who this was addressed too but for me, a Living Glass farm would work as 1.) It’s relatively easy to set up 2.) Turns a half-decent profit 3.) I’m on a frozen world so Frostwort can be grown outdoors.

I’m sure there are more efficient ways to make units but I’m after an Extra Income as opposed to Winning the Lottery, I don’t want farming to be my main source of earning as that’s what killed the game pre-1.3 for me, endlessly hearing, “Product Constructed” in my Insulating Gel farm… Now there’s lots of new and interesting ways to make that sweet green I want to get involved in.

I’m also loathe to completely destroy my base I worked hard on for the sake of units.

1 Like

I was talking about the supposed dynamic resonator “exploit”…frankly it’s more of a waste of time rather than an exploit so I don’t see a reason for HG to bother patching it…really slow way to make units. Aside from that as far as Living Glass is concerned it’s ok…it’ll do the job in time though not the product I’d choose to farm.

2 Likes

On the Dynamic Resonator “exploit”…For me it works since I can just keep moving around without having to portal back to base, farm/craft/sell. portal back to originating station, then move on. While it’s not a massive money maker, it’s a steady profit without the need to go back to go forward.

If they “fix” it I’ll find something else to make some units. I have a haphazard farm on the freighter, at worst I’ll optimize it for whatever is profitable in upcoming patches, charge it when I’m in the freighter, craft/sell when possible, and keep moving. It’ll be a slower way of making credit, but as long as it net profitable, I can live with that.

For my playing style it is an exploration game so I prefer not to be tied down to one location, especially one “behind” me, even if I can portal there and back from any space station. ~shrug~

For me (currently) I’m land based with one ship.
Completed dome base with crops to create Circuits, Living Glass & Explosives. Longest crop turn around is 2 hours. That allows enough time to explore a medium sized system, collect some (petty cash) goodies, scan lots of things, have a good wander about then head back home to harvest, craft & sell then go for a zip in my exo to replenish consumables.
Plan is to get a freighter so I can have a garage and a couple of suitably equipped starships. No rush though. I’ll move on to different things as opportunity presents… & if I like it.

I like the variation of gameplay methods I read about here: some are nomads with a single ship, some are merchants with freighters, fleets and inclined to chase units from system to system. Others are avid scientific or archaeological orientated explorers. So much variation.

We are all classed as CSD & Travellers but I’d like us to actually be able to choose a self imposed classification both here and in game.
Merchant, Researcher, Nomad, Frontiersman, Bounty Hunter, Scavenger, Outlaw, Farmer, Explorer, Survivor, Opportunist… etc.

Oops…I’ve started rambling off topic now. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

as long as classification is optional, or there’s an “all of the above” option :wink:

1 Like

I just adjusted my ETARC/ATLAS name to read:
‘CSD ARCHEOLOGIST’.
given I quite like getting the lore and can’t seem to pass up a green box with a trinket.

1 Like

I moved my base to a new planet, so I redesigned it (again). This is the latest version:

As you can see, it has 12 domes growing Gamma Weed and Coprite, with Frostwort growing outside.

11 of the domes have only one doorway each. The twelfth dome has ladder access, so no doorway.

I have a 48 slot hauler which I keep empty, and with minimum upgrades, which I use only for carrying large loads for sale. Fully loaded, it looks like this:

And If I’m a little careful where I sell it, this is how much I can get:

148 million for a single sale ain’t bad.

Domes are the way to go!

7 Likes

NICE!!! I’m liking the layout.

Problem is: to get great yeilds, all the farms are going to end up looking the same. Will make visiting a bit boring…

Could you squeeze another dome or two in if you delete the corridors and just have doorways going into the domes?

Well, yes, but that’s the point of posting it, really. It’s my latest experiment, so I thought people might like to know how it works.

Eventually, we’ll discover the optimum designs for all the different climates, crops, and products. And then, you’re right, people who want to make money fast will just copy the standard designs. And most farming bases will look very similar.

But there are other ways of making money - you don’t have to go into farming. And there’s only so much you can do with the money - you can’t store more than six ships.

Eventually, people will run out of the need for money. And they’ll just build their dream base instead. Or they’ll have a working money-making base in normal or survival mode, and a fancy base in creative mode.

So you’re right, once we have it all worked out, efficient farming bases will end up looking pretty much the same. But not everybody wants or needs a farming base.

1 Like