Base Building

Are you saving on cross-play? (so us of the PS5 realm may also pay a visit)

2 Likes

@Mad-Hatter

Ack! Is that something I have to do explicitly? How do I turn it on?

1 Like

In the in-game menu network options, there’s an option for ‘cross-play’.
It needs to be turned on for different platforms to interact. Pretty sure it applies to bases too.
Also make sure you’ve ensured no one can modify your base too.
There are some jerks out there.

4 Likes

I’m on PC. I’m not seeing anything in the Network options that mention cross save or cross play. Maybe it only applies when Multiplayer is Enabled?

1 Like

Maybe… I don’t play games via PC so am unsure of the differences.

2 Likes

I would, quite frankly, be surprised if base uploads were affected by this. They’re using the discovery servers, which is a completely different system than a real-time p2p connection. There’s a bit of ambiguity because bases use both these pathways, but the base upload in and of itself should definitely be independent from multiplayer features, if HG didn’t screw up their architecture somewhat fierce.

Probably best to just try it out.

3 Likes

Well @Malveka has MP off and I had no issues on PC. I will test it on PS5 in the morning.

3 Likes

Hmmm…I am in the right place? PS5 :worried:

Yep. Right place but no base.

2 Likes

:worried:

I have enabled multiplayer and uploaded my base again. That doesn’t seem likely to change anything, but maybe…?

After enabling multiplayer, I still don’t see any option on the network menu for for turning on cross-save/cross-play.

If you fly to the station in that system, does the TravelEcho Remembrance base show up at the teleport?

2 Likes

I will check. Been off-grid all morning.

1 Like

I dont think cross play settings will matter. On ps5 it can take some time for base changes to be displayed sometimes 24 hours, or more on occasions where theres a work going on or imminent updates.

3 Likes

So this must be why I saw far fewer bases on PS5 during the expeditions than on PC

3 Likes

Youve been to my skybase system, in there I spent years updating the same bases jumping between my different profiles to see. Up until Next, base updates were pretty much instant but since there is a definite delay, anything between 4 hours and a day or so. Pretty annoying at times, especially when the bytebeat thing was broken lol.

1 Like

Yes. Nice base @dersvr !
I have parked myself in @Malveka 's system and will check back tomorrow. I love the names of the planets. Very fitting! :art: :paintbrush:

2 Likes

im Heading there soon.

edit: also i would add, that if you visit a system and the base isnt displayed yet. It may actually be uploaded on your next visit but you sometimes need to force the data through. I do this by visiting featured bases and a few of my own larger bases before returning to the system.

2 Likes

The delay in base building has been there on PlayStation for at least a few years. When ICE and I are building, the changes that we make only show up for the other if we are online at the same time, in a group, and at the same base. Otherwise it takes some time. We used this delay once when I was trying to find out the highest that I could build, I built a tall wall, restarted the game and the top few panels disappeared for me. ICE could still see the highest wall panels and delete them for me. Then we could join games again and resume building. If we build separately we usually don’t notice each other’s changes until the next day / play session.

Also there is a limit to uploading bases. It seems to be one per planet. When I was trying to create a larger base by placing multiple bases close together, only one base would show up to him unless we were together in multiplayer. Even then they were a bit broken for a while and often required us to teleport away and back to get the system to load the extra bases. I had to be at the base he teleported to for it to work. It seems to use some P2P mechanic for bases beyond the one that was officially uploaded.

I haven’t tried too hard to figure out what gets my base to show to ICE, it usually works when we are there together and we don’t visit old bases alone often unless they are mining something.

There is also other odd behavior when we each have a base on the same planet. We have two bases close together, I can usually see both when I visit alone, ICE can only see his base until we join games, where my base pops in (slowly). I did help build his, I don’t remember if he built on mine.

5 Likes

Thanks for your patient testing!

Glad you like the planet names. Those are 5 of the colors TravelEcho commonly used in her palette for acrylic paintings. As for the NMS inspired series. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

@dersvr @GullyFourmyle It’s really helpful that you’ve both been around the solar system on how base sharing works. TravelEcho and I did occasionally visit each other’s bases, but it was not a frequent feature of our NMS parallel play. And we were always both playing on PC.

Thanks for your insights! I’m feeling more hopeful now that the Endless Night of Stars base will eventually be available to all.

Also, I will refrain from building any other base in the TravelEcho system. That seems a prudent precaution.

4 Likes

Still a no show on PS5. I warped away. Did some building of my own. Warped back… :face_exhaling:

1 Like

Silly question, is crossplay enabled?

3 Likes