Base Building

Before establishing the full context, I assumed this was supposed to be a Macros joke :confounded:

1 Like
7 Likes

Thatā€™s completely bonkersā€¦ I do have to wonder at the sanity of the creator.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been working on a base in remembrance of TravelEcho in which I hoped to include a poem that she wrote called Endless Night of Stars - apropos, I think, for a place in the NMS universe. I had hoped to do this using Message Module objects. Alas, after I picked out a system, a planet and built a base structure on which to place the Message Modules, I discovered you can have a maximum of 5 Message Modules per base. I estimate I need about 25 to contain the entire poem. ::sigh:: Wish Iā€™d checked that limit sooner!

My base building skills are rudimentary at best. Any ideas about how I can overcome this limit? Or some other idea for how I could display a roughly 25 line poem?

6 Likes

Perhaps a string of simple memorial garden bases in a series of systems, placing a few modules per base.

Find a destictive string of unfound stars you can name sequentially. In each system build a base with your modules. Have the first base near a portal for easy visits.
A visitor can then visit the first base via portal, launch into space, jump down the string one system, find the next base & so on & so forth.
Thatā€™s probably how Iā€™d do it.

4 Likes

I like @Mad-Hatter 's idea. Just remember there is also a total base parts limit so keep your bases small and simple.

3 Likes

I like mads idea, seems to be the way to do it. You could also do it in a single system since you can have one base per planet visible to others if you donā€™t like the idea of separating out the stanzas so much from each other. If you need 25 modules youā€™d only need five planet system, but finding a system that isnā€™t full of planets trying to un-alive you might be tricky if not impossible. Unless you donā€™t mind the readers having to sit through a little wear and tear as they remember this great Traveller <3

5 Likes

you can quickly glitch in extra modules. seems to work ok and holds a message fine. Ive uploaded my test and will let you know if it uploads to the servers and displays ok for visitors.

you need to select the hazard protection module and hit both controller triggers at the same time, slightly favouring the left trigger. (sorry only know ps5 method)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddsXyKV3k_w

7 Likes

Wow, lots of good suggestions!

I will likely try the glitch build suggestion first owing to its potential simplicity and that it would enable the poem to be read all in one go. If that doesnā€™t work out, though, I will fall back to one of the multiple base solutions.

Thanks all!

5 Likes

I tried this andā€¦ success! So far, anyway. Iā€™ve placed 12 Message Modules with poem lines in them. Iā€™m going to leave it there for tonight and check tomorrow to make sure all is still in order. Then Iā€™ll finish the poem.

Iā€™m on PC, so the glitch key combo is ā€˜Eā€™ + Mouse button 1. Usually takes me a few tries to get each one placed, but not bad at all. Thanks for the video. It really helped! :star_struck:

7 Likes

The wee test i did was fine. The 10 comm modules and their messages displayed normally for visitors, you should be good to go :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Ok, 25 Message Modules placed and the poem is complete. Iā€™ll check it again tomorrow and if all is well Iā€™ll ask for a couple of volunteers to try it out! :crossed_fingers:

6 Likes

Seems to be working. Any volunteers to check out this TravelEcho remembrance base that incorporates her poem Endless Night of Stars?

If you are interested Iā€™ll DM you the portal address. The base is located right at the portal. Once it has been confirmed that the base is working for visitors, Iā€™ll post the portal address here on the forums.

Thanks!

5 Likes

I am interested. It will be tomorrow morning before I can visit.

4 Likes

I am interested in checking it out. I probably will be able to play NMS tomorrow evening.

4 Likes

100% success! @Malveka :smiling_face_with_tear:

5 Likes

Hey Iā€™m also interested in paying a visit :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Malveka it is beautiful. Made me cry.

3 Likes

DM with portal address sent!

If it works fine for you I will start a new thread and post the portal address for all.

3 Likes

Thanks @sheralmyst . Love your traveller outfit!

Thanks for testing it. Itā€™s lovely that you found it moving. :pray:

2 Likes